Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kemper's typical training week.. Yikes!
Quote | Reply
Just pulled this from an old USA Today archieve, this is nuckin futs, I don't even do a 1/3 of this in my training..

USA Today interview with Hunter kemper:

Can you describe a typical training week?

I would swim six times in a week, run six to seven times and bike about six times. I would bike on average about 12 hours a week, I'd run between six and seven hours a week, swim maybe eight to nine hours a week, and I'd do weights about 3-3½ hours a week.

The mileage on that: You can approximate about nine to 10 miles an hour of running, so about 55-65 miles of running a week. Biking is about 20 miles an hour, so it's about 240-250 miles per week. Swimming — 5,000 meters a day is what I average, so you're looking at 25 to 30,000 meters a week, which comes out to be about 15 to 17 miles.
Last edited by: oc3ram: Jul 30, 05 15:55
Quote Reply
Re: Kemper's typical training week.. Yikes! [oc3ram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what did you think someone ranked in the top 10 in the world does? you don't run a 31 handle off the bike sitting around on the couch...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I would bike on average about 12 hours a week"

Seems like a low number

I am on the bike over 20 hours a week in the base period, and I am just a CAT 3 roadie at 700 hours per year on the bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember reading this article around the Olympics last year. We all exaggerate our numbers to brag to friends and I think he was doing the same. I think he took his peak week, added a little and said that's what he does every week. I have no doubt he does a lot, just not quite what he claims.

Otherwise, he is nuts.
Last edited by: ezrahallam: Jul 30, 05 16:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those numbers are about average for ITU top level athletes like Kemper. IM elite athletes ride a bit more and run and swim a bit less.

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: Kemper's typical training week.. Yikes! [GaryCA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You roadie dudes are clueless. I can do a 30 hour week on the bike (have many times), but that is biking only. Once you throw in any more that 4 hours of running, your bike miles have to drop big time. That being said, 7 hours of swimming 12 hours riding and 6 hours running, 3 hours wts, does not seem outrageous at that level. The ITU folks I knew training down in Austalia during our winter, did prettty well the same stuff as the Ironman guys.
Quote Reply
Re: Kemper's typical training week.. Yikes! [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
top 10? i think he is @ the numba 1 spot in the ITU world rankings.. first american ever.. i still can't get over the amount of time spent training... eeek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He is #1 mostly because he has done more races than anybody in the top 8. Tim Don has won three races this year to Hunter's one. I think Lessing would still be #1 if he was still doing ITU races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's ALL he does...train and recover....oh, and some sponsor stuff, travel and the like...but he's not holding down a 40-60 hour a week job...or even Francois's French 20 hour week... ;-)

Those numbers don't seem all that outrageous if you can imagine the rest of your week dedicated to recovery...
Quote Reply
Re: Kemper's typical training week.. Yikes! [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I REALLY would like to see a "normal" guy try to do that schedule...

-

Quote Reply
Re: Kemper's typical training week.. Yikes! [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Once you throw in any more that 4 hours of running, your bike miles have to drop big time."

I agree. An hour of running is worth at least 1.5 of cycling. You have a much higher HR and the wear and tear on your body is WAY more. Even very elite runners only log ~15hours/week.(~100miles)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
12 hours of riding is like CAT 4 level, that is all I am saying, if it is possible to go to the olympics on 12 hours of bike training (plus running/swimming) then I am amazed

and I am not clueless, hell, I know what it takes to get there

I am going to a private cycling camp in Dec, 350-600 miles and 30,000-60,000 of climbing - I am training for US Nationals

That's a big week - better bring my freeze dried Linguica
Quote Reply
Re: Kemper's typical training week.. Yikes! [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, SAC, we can be sure that you can't just quit work and suddenly bump up to those numbers...it would probably take 2-3 dedicated years to pump volume up to those numbers SAFELY...assuming you start from an average AG 12-15 hours/week.

I guess I should qualify my statement, though...those numbers don't seem outrageous for someone who has worked to that level (not necessarily #1 ITU athlete).

But again...the key is having the time to recover. That is quite a bit easier when you have the OTC helping...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SAC, I don't think those numbers are outrageous if you don't have to do a 40-50 hour work week on top of things. Granted, he is probably doing in the range of 10-25 hours (wild guess) of dealing with admin, sponsors, speaking engagements etc, but 25 hours of training plus 25 hours of work is very doable. Even if you have one day off per week, here you go:

Mon: Ride to pool (30 min), Swim 60 min, wts 30 min, Ride to work (30 min), ride home (30)

Tue: Run 90 min - Ride to work 60 min, Ride home 30 min

Wed (Day off): Swim 60 min, Ride 5 hours, run 30 min

Thu: same as Monday

Fri: Same as Tue

Sat: 6 hour ride, 30 min run

Sun: 1 hour ride, 2:30 run

Total ~28 hours...not something you would do week in and week out, but you could take a day off work once in a while and actually pull this off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You two have trouble understanding what a top level elite athlete is...

-

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GaryCA, I am saying you are clueless because when an ITU guy does a "balanced week" this is what they do, to ensure they have legs to run 65 second 400's on the track. You don't get to 31 min 10K speed without doing very specific run workouts. This is why these guys get to the Olympics. On the other hand, when they are doing bike focused weeks, trust me, they are doing more volume and intensity than you CAT3 roadies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well if they can do a 20k TT in 26:00, then no worries

:)

-g
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the last time i checked, 1 is in the top 10.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure what you are getting at with that comment SAC.

1)...surely I never said that just because someone can do that kind of volume they will be on Hunter's level...that's another issue entirely.

2)...the original post outlines a program that probably averages 30 hours a week...that leaves him another 20-30 hours if we assume he dedicates the same 50-60 hours to his full time avocation that I do...surely those additional 20-30 hours take care of the lion's share of commitments as well as recovery stuff...

I've known a couple of elite level athletes...the kind, like Hunter, who solely pursue their sport...thats the kind of time they dedicated to activities SOLELY sport related...seems reasonable to me.

Anyway...still not sure what angle you are going with on that comment, SAC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And surely, as well, I never said that ANYONE could do those numbers...if thats what you are getting at.

It just doesn't surprise me that he does those numbers is all I'm saying. Just like it wouldn't surprise me to see 40 hour training weeks coming out of Peter Reid's IMH build block.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, the problem with your 28 hours is that a lot of those workouts are, to be blunt, garbage miles. Riding to work 30 minutes here and there is not really worthwhile as a workout. It is good for the environment, and it might help you a little, but 5 hours spent commuting (2 x 30', 5 days a week) is nowhere near as valuable as 2 x 2.5 hour rides.

And most ITU athletes are not going to do a 6 hour ride nor 2.5 hour run. Some do (I only know of one), but it is certainly not the norm. But for a long course athlete, your schedule may be doable.

And it's not just about time. It's about what's being done with that time. A significant portion of that time is probably spent in Z3 or higher, since every race is done so hard. 28 hours of Z1 work is very different than 28 hours of primarily Z2-Z3... I think most AG athletes would have a hard time matching the relative intensity that Hunter probably puts in during his workouts and also matching that volume.

The other big question mark is the quality of the recovery. There are plenty of AG athletes that train 30+ hours per week. They also sleep very little. I think most of them would be better served with more quality rest and higher quality workouts, but most are too OC and "need" to get their volume in...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Kemper's typical training week.. Yikes! [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Rapp, I didn't feel to write much ;-)

-

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL...these numbers don't mean much...what's the content? 24-26h is a pretty regular week.
But then if (and at his level, it's not an if, he surely does it) you throw in a hard tempo run, a hard track workout, probably 4-5 hard swims and a couple of hard rides, that's a lot of intensity with still about 25hrs a week...Sure 24hrs if you only go IM pace isn't hard...

With a demanding job, these numbers and the appropriate sessions for an ITU guy will leave a lot of folks here zoned out at work...

As for my 20hr week...if you count my weeks from monday to tuesday, yep...seems about right.
Quote Reply
Re: Kemper's typical training week.. Yikes! [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappster, I agree with you on all points. I was just making a point that a guy working full time can actually do a 30 hour week from time to time if they want. Yes, 2x2.5 hour at Z3 is better than 10x30 min commute, but hey, I'd rather spend 5 hours on a bike than 4 hours per week in a car, whether they are garbage miles or not :-). Good for the environment, good for the wallet, good for time management skills, and for your average age grouper, if you can do it over the course of a year, that adds up to an extra 200 hours or so training vs 150 in car. From a time management perspective, this is win win and you don't have to sacrifice sleep to get this in.

SAC, I do have a clue what some of the ITU folks do, my main point is where most age group dudes fall apart is they actually try to do what the pros do instead of just fitting the training in around life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Well if they can do a 20k TT in 26:00, then no worries

ITU racing is about the swim and run. It's a group ride, not a TT. That's why you see these guys do such huge hours in the pool. If they come out of the water 30 seconds too slow, their day is over.

Exit swim in lead group; hang on to your breakaway for the bike; run 31. Take a trophy home.

If you swim too slow and have to bridge to the lead bike group, you probably can't run 31.

That's why their bike mileage might seem low in cyclist terms.

Besides, almost every one of the top-20 ITU guys can ride 26-27 over 20k. They can all hold 350+ watts for that duration, and with the right kit, that's a 26.
Quote Reply

Prev Next