Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
KICKR vs. Computrainer....goodbye racermate
Quote | Reply
Being a kickr owner for 9 months and a previous computrainer owner, I've gotten a lot of questions as to why the kickr is better than the computrainer so I figured I would post a quick rundown. I have ridden both for 100's of hours. Here's why the kickr is so much better:
1. Calibration only needs to be done every once in a while (I do it every 2 weeks). No need to warm tire up for 10 min every time. Plus since the kickr is hooked directly to your drivetrain there isn't a variation in resistance throughout the workout as the tire heats and cools depending on your wattage. With the computrainer I would start out with 2.2 after a 10 min warmup then when i started hitting threshold intervals it would be 2.6. Sometimes it was the other way around when vibration would cause the knob to loosen and suddenly I'm at 1.5. Annoying to have to keep checking it.
2. The Flywheel is awesome. Much smoother and more realistic roadlike feel. Less vibration than the computrainer.
3. LESS CORDS. No controller. No hr wire. No cadence wire. No computer wire. Only a power cord and everything is on ANT+. Easily transported and even can be plugged into your car for a prerace warmup.
4. Takes no time to pop the wheel off and put my bike on the kickr vs. tightening 3 separate knobs, attach handlbar controller, align cadence sensor etc. 15 sec vs 2+ min
5. Better software options. I have used, Trainerroad, Strava Segments, Saris Virtual Cycling, Kinomap, and Perf Pro. A lot more variation and less boredom.
6. Better Support. I had various issues with my computrainer and the racermate support staff was difficult to work with. They also had an our product is the best and doesn't need to be improved attitude especially before there was any competition. With Wahoo everyone has been super nice and easy to work with. Had a slight issue with a clicking sound on the flywheel and a new kickr was on my doorstep in 2 days!

To sum it up the kickr is a CHEAPER, better product, with better support so why would anyone in the market for a trainer choose a computrainer!?
Quote Reply
Re: KICKR vs. Computrainer....goodbye racermate [Tridude1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice write up...

My take on it is this... and I have 100's of hours on the CT.

The software is irrelevant. I use TR and love it.

There are two reasons why I would switch.

1. No rear wheel... no so no burning through tires. This has been a problem for some people.
2. Better road feel.

I rode the KICKR the other day at my LBS. Road feel didn't feel that much better than the CT (although I was not on my own bike).

One other thing... with the CT I have my handlebar controller on a stand next to my bike. The buttons control on the controller aslo can change intensity when I use TR. This allows me to keep my laptop on the other side of the room. I don't need to have it right next to me. That is a plus for the CT. With TR... I use my ANT+ HR and cadence sensors... so no wires there. Dedicated bike to the trainer... so no on'off issues to deal with.

As of now I am still using my CT.

It is clear though... if I didn't already have a CT... the KICKR would be my choice for sure.
Last edited by: Donzo98: Dec 11, 13 9:20
Quote Reply
Re: KICKR vs. Computrainer....goodbye racermate [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
Nice write up...

My take on it is this... and I have 100's of hours on the CT.

The software is irrelevant. I use TR and love it.

There are two reasons why I would switch.

1. No rear wheel... no so no burning through tires. This has been a problem for some people.
2. Better road feel.

I rode the KICKR the other day at my LBS. Road feel didn't feel that much better than the CT (although I was not on my own bike).

One other thing... with the CT I have my handlebar controller on a stand next to my bike. The buttons control on the controller aslo can change intensity when I use TR. This allows me to keep my laptop on the other side of the room. I don't need to have it right next to me. That is a plus for the CT. With TR... I use my ANT+ HR and cadence sensors... so no wires there. Dedicated bike to the trainer... so no on'off issues to deal with.

As of now I am still using my CT.

It is clear though... if I didn't already have a CT... the KICKR would be my choice for sure.

There is actually a handlebar controller you can buy http://www.o-synce.com/...nt-remote.html#c1100. It works with perf pro studio but not sure about TR. Personally I just tap the up and down arrows on my wireless keyboard. By the way I used to use TR all the time but then decided to switch to perf pro because it has a lot more features plus it's not a monthly fee, just $99 once for life. Has course mode with all the courses imported from the computrainer software and its much easier to create a custom workout. The analysis software that comes with it is also much better and a lot of the same workouts and video workouts are available from TR. If you have a workout buddy you can connect them to perfpro but not TR. The only thing I miss is comparing my tss and splits to other riders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for PerfPro, though I run my Computrainer through it. Nice for turning GPS rides into courses too.

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Re: KICKR vs. Computrainer....goodbye racermate [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I was in the market for a new pricey super indoor riding toy then the elite real e-motion would be on my list too
( http://www.elite-real.com/...oducts/real-e-motion)
Granted it's not sold in north America, isn't open source and the power readings are meant to be a but high but it's pretty cool.
SteveMc
Quote Reply
Re: KICKR vs. Computrainer....goodbye racermate [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are right, its got some pretty cool features. What's the price tag?

SteveMc wrote:
If I was in the market for a new pricey super indoor riding toy then the elite real e-motion would be on my list too
( http://www.elite-real.com/...oducts/real-e-motion)
Granted it's not sold in north America, isn't open source and the power readings are meant to be a but high but it's pretty cool.
SteveMc

http://www.fuelforendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: KICKR vs. Computrainer....goodbye racermate [jmayo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Around £1,200. See http://www.wiggle.co.uk/...al-e-motion-rollers/
So in the same ballpark.. how durable they are would be key as there is a lot of movement around the motor.
SteveMc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, all I need with the KICKR is a computer? It said something about iPhone but I don't own one.

Quote | Reply
crolson24 wrote:
So, all I need with the KICKR is a computer? It said something about iPhone but I don't own one.

Yes it works with any windows computer and an ANT+ stick which you can get on amazon. If you have a newer macbook you can use bluetooth 4.0 with no ant+ stick but if you want to use your ant+ cadence sensor or HR monitor with the KICKR you would still need a stick.
Quote Reply
Re: KICKR vs. Computrainer....goodbye racermate [crolson24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also use my iPad2, but mostly my iPhone5. However, I record all the data (ANT+ stuff) on my Garmin Edge500.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tridude1 wrote:
...I have used, Trainerroad, Strava Segments, Saris Virtual Cycling, Kinomap, and Perf Pro. A lot more variation and less boredom...

For video you might want to check our software
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going to get cycleops power beam pro. Is Wahoo Kickr better?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Calibration only needs to be done every once in a while (I do it every 2 weeks). No need to warm tire up for 10 min every time. Plus since the kickr is hooked directly to your drivetrain there isn't a variation in resistance throughout the workout as the tire heats and cools depending on your wattage. With the computrainer I would start out with 2.2 after a 10 min warmup then when i started hitting threshold intervals it would be 2.6. Sometimes it was the other way around when vibration would cause the knob to loosen and suddenly I'm at 1.5. Annoying to have to keep checking it.

I like the idea of the direct drive. Not enough to buy a KICKR when I own a perfectly good operating CT, but certainly if I was in the market for a trainer. However, after warm-up my cal has always been stable. I never have the issues you describe.

2. The Flywheel is awesome. Much smoother and more realistic roadlike feel. Less vibration than the computrainer.

Did you ride mostly in slope mode? I find erg mode to be quite smooth.

3. LESS CORDS. No controller. No hr wire. No cadence wire. No computer wire. Only a power cord and everything is on ANT+. Easily transported and even can be plugged into your car for a prerace warmup.

Agree. They have moved to ANT+ for HR. Maybe more is coming. I have a dedicated trainer bike, so it's really only a one time set up for me. More wireless would be better.

4. Takes no time to pop the wheel off and put my bike on the kickr vs. tightening 3 separate knobs, attach handlbar controller, align cadence sensor etc. 15 sec vs 2+ min

Again, dedicate bike; but once you wash your hands after touching a chain that's been out on the road, I call this a wash even if you don't have a dedicated bike. You didn't have a stand for your handle controller? Sounds like you never optimized your set-up.

5. Better software options. I have used, Trainerroad, Strava Segments, Saris Virtual Cycling, Kinomap, and Perf Pro. A lot more variation and less boredom.

Disagree here. Between the CT RacermateONE with 3D slope, power training erg/slope; Real Course Video; ERG Video, Trainer Road, Performance Pro, Tour De Giro .... Just as many options here

6. Better Support. I had various issues with my computrainer and the racermate support staff was difficult to work with. They also had an our product is the best and doesn't need to be improved attitude especially before there was any competition. With Wahoo everyone has been super nice and easy to work with. Had a slight issue with a clicking sound on the flywheel and a new kickr was on my doorstep in 2 days!

I'll just say I NEVER has anything but great support from Racermate. Ray even emailed me from his vacation!

I'm sure I will consider KICKR in 10 years when I am in the market for another trainer. It will be interesting to see who is around then.
Quote Reply
Re: KICKR vs. Computrainer....goodbye racermate [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2 on the support from Racermate. We run a small studio (5 CTs) and occasionally need a part or have a glitch that needs attention. And Ray and Kurt have always responded quickly and in depth. Now, these guys are pros and they have some expectation that you've done your homework and can articulate your issue. That is, sending them a note that says, "how do you set this thing up?" is likely to get a slower response than "I need a tension knob and bracket " (sent to me without charge in the same day's mail).

We're all a bit different in our setups and processes for training. For us, we have all the wires running under the carpet and the handlebar controllers are on moveable stands. Using PerfPRO Studio allows us to use ANT+, so almost everyone in our sessions is completely wireless. For those who don't have ANT+, we have a few ANT+ velcro-backed cadence sensors and HR straps. We can unload 5 CTs and set up the next session in about 5 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice! I love my CT!.. I haven't dedicated a bike yet but I have been using the CT with trainer road so no wires needed...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I totally agree. My CT(s) have been awesome. I was an early adapter many, many years ago and I think you'll find you'll get more than 10 years out of it. A buddy has his still going strong after close to 20 years, although the electronics are a bit ancient. If one has specific workouts, even the old units are great.
Quote Reply
Re: KICKR vs. Computrainer....goodbye racermate [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a CT for the last 2 years and I haven't had any problems with the hardware; the software is awful and outdated but that is not a problem either cause I use TR.

I could live without the cable tho...

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: KICKR vs. Computrainer....goodbye racermate [camaleon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, trainerroad is awesome, and very easy to make one's own workouts. If I were to make a change, and I am contemplating, I would do the Cycleops Power Beam with Virtual Training.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the fact that I have to calibrate my CT a few times each ride. The first comes during the warmup part of aTR ride. I make sure I time the second calibration to occur during a particularly stressfull time of the ride (3 min at 130% during Givens for example) if I'm falling apart. Gives me a quick respite to carry on with the workout. : )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you ride mostly in slope mode? I find erg mode to be quite smooth.
I ride in both modes. The reason the KICKR is better is because of the larger heavier flywheel. This is more noticeable in slope mode when the momentum of the fly wheel carries better through downhills and is smoother when it varies resistance.
Again, dedicate bike; but once you wash your hands after touching a chain that's been out on the road, I call this a wash even if you don't have a dedicated bike. You didn't have a stand for your handle controller? Sounds like you never optimized your set-up.
I have never touched the chain to put my bike on the KICKR. You shouldn't have to if you know anything about taking a wheel on and off. Had a stand with my computrainer but since I often ride with buddies at their houses I got rid of it since it made it more difficult to carry/transport. Now all I have to do is unplug from the wall and carry one piece to my car.
Disagree here. Between the CT RacermateONE with 3D slope, power training erg/slope; Real Course Video; ERG Video, Trainer Road, Performance Pro, Tour De Giro .... Just as many options here
I agree that there is overlapping software however, I use cyclops virtual training and strava segments a lot for my slope based endurance rides and find them to be far superior(and more fun) to 3d slope in racermateone. Both offer options to race others splits worldwide which is really cool. With the virtual trainer you can choose or map out any route in the world and ride it on google earth and there are 100+ of course videos available, all included with the software(better than paying $100 each to racermate!!!). Also. its nice to know that since it's an open platform a lot more options will likely be coming out vs waiting 4+ years for Racermate to release RacermateOne (w/ boring nintendo graphics) ;-)

At the end of the day if you are completely happy with your computrainer then don't switch. My original point was to write my experience having owned a computrainer for 5 years. And the other point being why would anyone pay $400+ more for an outdated computrainer?! It would be like going to the store and buying a tube TV for $1000 when you could get a flat panel for $600. In my opinion, either Racermate will have to lower their price or develop a new wireless open platform computrainer model to stay competitive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with what you have said albeit said with some hyperbole, that is why I joined the discussion. It will be a few years before we truly know if the price points are wrong. If the KICKR hardware reliability ends up behind CT, then it would be less of a deal. I would love to see CT with only 2 wires: power & load generator to control box. The more software options the better regardless of hardware. I'm sure I'd be happy with either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you ride with a power meter outside? If so, how closely does the power on the kickr relate to your regular PM? I would hate to set an FTP based on the kicker and it be 10 watts off...
Quote Reply
Re: KICKR vs. Computrainer....goodbye racermate [netzer0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
netzer0 wrote:
Do you ride with a power meter outside? If so, how closely does the power on the kickr relate to your regular PM? I would hate to set an FTP based on the kicker and it be 10 watts off...

Maybe you meant for OP. I have a Quarq & numbers match my CT. However, my FTP is probably 10-15 W lower indoors regardless. Maybe KICKR would be similar because of being smoother, if that is indeed the case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
netzer0 wrote:

Yes, I have a Quarq crank so I actually have tested it while riding the trainer(both freshly calibrated). The readings stayed within 2-5 watts of each other for the entire workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not own or have ever owned a CT, but I have been a KICKR owner from day 1 release & I love it. I also have a QUARQ PM & my average watts are always within 2 watts. The only difference is in Max Power. The QUARQ since it is crank based, where as the KICKR is HUB based. I always has a much higher MAX power number for those shorter/harder sprints.

"We choose to do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard."-President John F. Kennedy
Quote Reply

Prev Next