Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Just married, superbike or baby?
Quote | Reply
We both knew we wanted children going into marriage, but I thought it would be much later down the road. I'm usually close to a podium spot with a lot of 4th and 7th overall finishes; and I believe a better bike could get me there. My wife wants a baby and I know it would be expensive as well, we just can't do both. We can have a child anytime but I'm getting older and don't want to look back at what could of been.... so, superbike or baby?
Quote Reply
Re: Just married, superbike or baby? [Noof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shouldn't you be having this conversation with I don't know maybe your wife?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SUPERBABY

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Last edited by: ScottWrigleyFit: Apr 1, 15 9:06
Quote Reply
Re: Just married, superbike or baby? [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:
SUPERBABY

Agreed, Save the money and buy the bike for the baby. Thrust your failures onto your child as unrealistic expectations like the rest of us. You'll have plenty of time for expensive bikes when you're old and fat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go with the bike. Easier to sell when you get tired of it.

BA coaching http://www.bjornandersson.se
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike will be cheaper.
Quote Reply
Re: Just married, superbike or baby? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Bike will be cheaper.

well maybe not when you consider costs of the divorce.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! Enjoy the "Honeymoon" phase! Happy wife equals a happy life! Key to a good marriage is to keep your wife in the loop on any large financial decisions. You will need to market the "need" over the "want" to her. Financial & communication issues are why a lot of marriages fail. Priorities will change when have a child. I have 3(age 7,5,4).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BOTH - Then you can sell the superbike to one of your ST friends at a significant discount when you realize you don't have time to ride it anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It'd be nice if those clowns in Washington would get off their ass and create a Bike Tax Credit for new bikes.

The Child Tax Credit has been around for years and has never done me any good since I don't have kids.

Now a Bike Tax Credit would make life easier for those hard working folks who need to buy new bikes every other year.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it really depends on how old you guys are, but my advice is to start knocking things off your to-do list before you have kids. go on your big vacations, buy your superbike, win your races... because once the kids come it gets really hard to carve out time for yourself, that includes training.

look at it this way, there are a ton of middle aged people getting into expensive sports like tri and cycling or driving expensive cars around town. people look at it and label it "mid-life crisis", but i disagree. They just didn't have the time or money when they were in there 20's and 30's, now the kids are gone and they can finally do the stuff they want.

Knock out the stuff you want to do now, because alot of it will get put off for 18 years or more once you start having kids.
Last edited by: seiken: Apr 1, 15 9:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have the baby, then sell it and get the superbike....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you mean you can't do both? That's the most rediculous thing I've ever heard.

The cost of the bike pales in comparison to the cost of a kid. A long time ago I read that raising a kid to 18 averaged around 150 large, add 7 on top for a bike and you aren't even talking a 10% increase. When you factor in that it's probably closer to 250g for a kid now, you're not even at 3%.

When you think about the cost of having a baby - it's actually relatively inexpensive when you consider insurance, gifts, showers, hand-me downs, etc. I don't think we needed to buy any clothes for our first son until he was 4 - and even then, you can pick up a pair of pants for a couple bucks at goodwill or a second hand shop.

My wife is expecting our second in a few weeks, and I've spent more in the last 6 months on triathlon than I have in purchases for the baby.
Quote Reply
Re: Just married, superbike or baby? [bjorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bjorn wrote:
Go with the bike. Easier to sell when you get tired of it.

./End thread.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the bike. Having a child is too selfish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89FObkqroZY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming that this is not an April Fool's joke.

Just assume for the moment that you could afford both. The baby is going to change your lifestyle in ways that you can't imagine. You are not going to be able to train as much as you are now. The reduction in training is going put you a lot further off the podium than the seconds that a super-bike gets you.

The issue is not the money, it's the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Superbike, it won't wreak havoc on your wife's body and impact her ability to work and pay for your bike.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Just married, superbike or baby? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you check around for both used, you can get a slightly used model for cheaper & get both
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your wife is 30ish, or near there, baby, as time window will be short for babies.

Otherwise, if cash isn't a problem, superbike! Ride it now - once that kid pops out, you'll be on it a lot less for at least 1.5 yrs. (You'll still ride it though.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kids are kind of cool, but winning a race is real life achievement. I mean which one do you get a medal for?
Quote Reply
Re: Just married, superbike or baby? [ndhoffma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ndhoffma wrote:
If you check around for both used, you can get a slightly used model for cheaper & get both

Used babies in good condition are really expensive. You are better off getting a brand new one.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the bike first, then you've got it.
Justifying a bike purchase will be much harder after the baby arrives, whereas finding money for a baby won't be any more difficult after you have the bike.

Just don't do what I see some sorry souls doing on eBay:
"This bike is my pride and joy, but my wife says I have to sell it because we have a baby now and I don't think I can justify owning it anymore"

That sh!t's enough to make me want to abandon human contact altogether and live in the woods with all my tri gear ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Just married, superbike or baby? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As someone who's been married for 17 years and had kids for 14 years, I'm a little torn here.

On one hand I say get the bike now. I've found that with kids in the house, below about $250K in household income you will not be getting any "superbike" any time soon. Once you have kids, your money is gone... all of it. When you have kids, the sooner you accept that you no longer have any money the better everything else will be. In that sense I would say get the bike now while you have relatively few responsibilities as long as you clear it with the Chancellor Exchequer.

On the other hand, you are playing with fire here. Seriously hot, phosphorous-laden fire. If you want to be happy I would seriously advise you to ask and listen to your wife. Do what she says unless you have major, life changing objections. Trust me on this. This is not a "who wears the pants in this family" macho thing, it's a self-interest thing. You want your wife to be happy. Everything is better if she is happy. You don't have the energy to deal with her not being happy, trust me. If a bike becomes the reason you don't do as your wife wishes, I would not want to be in your shoes. I don't know you and can't give you marriage advice, but this seems pretty universal.
Last edited by: hiro11: Apr 1, 15 10:21
Quote Reply
Re: Just married, superbike or baby? [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Kids are kind of cool, but winning a race is real life achievement. I mean which one do you get a medal for?"

Not to mention, do you really want your kids growing up with the guilt of knowing that it is their fault their Dad is MOP?

Quote Reply

Prev Next