Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
July Swim Challenge
Quote | Reply
This challenge welcomes all participants. Your goal is to swim 4x a week. OW, pool, whatever.

Big month for HalfSpeed, who has the PDX Bridge Swim in a few days!

Proud member of Fishtwitch and the ST Grammar Police
disclaimer: I am a PhD, not a medical doctor. The closest I get to surgery is topology.
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Challenge [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5.2 mi run w/ 2 mi moderate (7:54, 7:47), a couple minutes easy, 1.5 mi faster (7:24)
875 yd swim

3 x 100 on 1:30
50 kick
100 fast 1:09.5
100 easy
100 fast 1:11
100 easy
100 fast 1:11
25 kick c/d

Proud member of Fishtwitch and the ST Grammar Police
disclaimer: I am a PhD, not a medical doctor. The closest I get to surgery is topology.
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Challenge [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is my July 1 kick off:



What did you guys do for workouts. I was joking with Jasoninhalifax that the fish workout should be 150x50 meters for Canada 150, so we have a local Lake called Meech Lake with a standard beach to beach 4000m distance, so I did the longest swim of my life and swam beach to beach to beach. First 4000m was just under 62 minutes. Then on the way back, I probably took a slightly longer route close to shore as I did want a bail out option in case something happened with my funky disc nerve, but that held out. Instead, my arms started getting a bit heavy from not being used to wearing a wetsuit, and in the last 30 minutes I ran out of blood sugar and crawled in the last part and lost a decent amount of time. Ended up with 72 minutes heading back. Probably swam a bit long, but mainly not enough wetsuit time.













Thanks to all the Canadians that came for the first 98 years before me and for the next 52 years, thanks to all of you who have made living in this land so fabulous. The rest of you who are not Canadian, come and visit. The ice is broken off the Lakes finally LOL!


Capt (retired) Devashish Paul, Royal Canadian Air Force 1983-1996

Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jul 1, 17 16:53
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice work! 8000 outside is a pretty darn good swim.
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice job!

Proud member of Fishtwitch and the ST Grammar Police
disclaimer: I am a PhD, not a medical doctor. The closest I get to surgery is topology.
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Challenge [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
#canada150


Swim workout this morning...
200 (100 fr/bk)
6x50 (dolphin) kick w/fins @ 50
4x25 Fly @ 30
4x50 @ 1:10 3 strong 1 easy strong done with parachute (35--36/50)

30x50 at 800 race pace
20 @ 55
10 @ 50
32.5 average ( foot touch)
2300m (scm)

___________________________________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/...eoesophageal_fistula
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebral_palsy
Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great swim there Dev!
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Challenge [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
8 mi easy run, 1375 yd swim

500 w/u
50 kick
100 fast 1:14
100 easy
100 fast 1:14
100 easy
100 fast 1:14 (now very annoyed)
50 easy
100 fast 1:14 (grr)
150 easy
25 kick c/d

Proud member of Fishtwitch and the ST Grammar Police
disclaimer: I am a PhD, not a medical doctor. The closest I get to surgery is topology.
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Challenge [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
Great swim there Dev!

I was right that my turns in the pool totally suck due to having to manage a mini spasm at each push off and that my actual streamline and glide is better. My 3.8K split was right at 59 minutes and I would say that I was swimming easier than IM race pace (even though in an IM I would have had 9+ hours to go, I needed to respect the 1+ hours of remaining swimming in this).

How is the final push to Roth. You can still get some hard shorter swims in this week to stay sharp. By the way, I was going to say, it might be worthwhile practicing some "cold start" before your race. Just stretch on land and then get used to starting from a cold start at full blast for 200m and then "settle in". Doing this every day on race week will make next weekend's cold start "not foreign". Not something we normally do at the pool, but good to practice on land. Tim O'Donnell would actually "cold start" warm up on dry land with stretch chords which I have seen him do. He keeps them in his transition gear bag for races with no warmup.
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Anna s wrote:
Great swim there Dev!


I was right that my turns in the pool totally suck due to having to manage a mini spasm at each push off and that my actual streamline and glide is better. My 3.8K split was right at 59 minutes and I would say that I was swimming easier than IM race pace (even though in an IM I would have had 9+ hours to go, I needed to respect the 1+ hours of remaining swimming in this).

How is the final push to Roth. You can still get some hard shorter swims in this week to stay sharp. By the way, I was going to say, it might be worthwhile practicing some "cold start" before your race. Just stretch on land and then get used to starting from a cold start at full blast for 200m and then "settle in". Doing this every day on race week will make next weekend's cold start "not foreign". Not something we normally do at the pool, but good to practice on land. Tim O'Donnell would actually "cold start" warm up on dry land with stretch chords which I have seen him do. He keeps them in his transition gear bag for races with no warmup.

Hey Dev, yes I'll be having a stretch and practising a cold start, but I won't be going full blast for the first 200m. Don't get me wrong, I would love to be able to do this, but my lungs just cease up when I do this wearing a wetsuit - every time without fail. I'm in the pool in my wetsuit nearly every day this week and will be doing some short bike rides and runs to keep me sharp.

Your training is looking good at the moment!
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Challenge [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Anna s wrote:
Great swim there Dev!


I was right that my turns in the pool totally suck due to having to manage a mini spasm at each push off and that my actual streamline and glide is better. My 3.8K split was right at 59 minutes and I would say that I was swimming easier than IM race pace (even though in an IM I would have had 9+ hours to go, I needed to respect the 1+ hours of remaining swimming in this).

How is the final push to Roth. You can still get some hard shorter swims in this week to stay sharp. By the way, I was going to say, it might be worthwhile practicing some "cold start" before your race. Just stretch on land and then get used to starting from a cold start at full blast for 200m and then "settle in". Doing this every day on race week will make next weekend's cold start "not foreign". Not something we normally do at the pool, but good to practice on land. Tim O'Donnell would actually "cold start" warm up on dry land with stretch chords which I have seen him do. He keeps them in his transition gear bag for races with no warmup.


Hey Dev, yes I'll be having a stretch and practising a cold start, but I won't be going full blast for the first 200m. Don't get me wrong, I would love to be able to do this, but my lungs just cease up when I do this wearing a wetsuit - every time without fail. I'm in the pool in my wetsuit nearly every day this week and will be doing some short bike rides and runs to keep me sharp.

Your training is looking good at the moment!

I was thinking practice the cold start in training and on the day of the IM, dial it back compared to the training cold starts to reduce the likelihood of the wetsuit panic phase! Best of luck! My outdoor pool 1k from home finally opened for the summer. 1:25 min 4300m swim! Was awesome to finally swim in the sun this year and get some Vitamin D!
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The USRPT (the lower volume, higher intensity) swim training in vogue right now has every workout start with an on-deck w/u and then 4 x 50 fast. That's sort of like your cold start idea. The theory behind that training plan is that you should train the motor neurons at race pace --- it's a lot of race pace swimming with new-and-different easy stuff like backward freestyle (you don't kick - pull buoy between knees, stroke backward). I don't know much more about it than that, but the cold start made me think of it.

Proud member of Fishtwitch and the ST Grammar Police
disclaimer: I am a PhD, not a medical doctor. The closest I get to surgery is topology.
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Anna s wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Anna s wrote:
Great swim there Dev!


I was right that my turns in the pool totally suck due to having to manage a mini spasm at each push off and that my actual streamline and glide is better. My 3.8K split was right at 59 minutes and I would say that I was swimming easier than IM race pace (even though in an IM I would have had 9+ hours to go, I needed to respect the 1+ hours of remaining swimming in this).

How is the final push to Roth. You can still get some hard shorter swims in this week to stay sharp. By the way, I was going to say, it might be worthwhile practicing some "cold start" before your race. Just stretch on land and then get used to starting from a cold start at full blast for 200m and then "settle in". Doing this every day on race week will make next weekend's cold start "not foreign". Not something we normally do at the pool, but good to practice on land. Tim O'Donnell would actually "cold start" warm up on dry land with stretch chords which I have seen him do. He keeps them in his transition gear bag for races with no warmup.


Hey Dev, yes I'll be having a stretch and practising a cold start, but I won't be going full blast for the first 200m. Don't get me wrong, I would love to be able to do this, but my lungs just cease up when I do this wearing a wetsuit - every time without fail. I'm in the pool in my wetsuit nearly every day this week and will be doing some short bike rides and runs to keep me sharp.

Your training is looking good at the moment!


I was thinking practice the cold start in training and on the day of the IM, dial it back compared to the training cold starts to reduce the likelihood of the wetsuit panic phase! Best of luck! My outdoor pool 1k from home finally opened for the summer. 1:25 min 4300m swim! Was awesome to finally swim in the sun this year and get some Vitamin D!


Yes, this is what I meant too, but obviously worded it wrong :-) I'll be warming up on deck before each swim and then start. Being a swimmer from the 70s/80s this is how we warmed up for our races! I try to start at quite a good pace (not easy, but not flat out) and even then my lungs need till about ca.300m/400m to relax. It's def assuring to know my lungs do relax at some point, but I can only push it so far. I presume after 40 years of asthma, my airways have some damage. It's the same with running, which is why I always train using RPE. I need to find a lung friendly, efficient way to start a race, at the moment my only solution is to start slow and build to race effort, but this is not efficient and I'm never in the lead group. I'm going to try Tigerchik's 4x50s this morning with 10s rest and see what happens.
Last edited by: Anna s: Jul 3, 17 23:38
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Challenge [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna, I'm curious how you trained for Roth. Did you have a coach, make your own training plan, take one from a book or website... ?

here: yesterday 31 mi bike
today 8.1 mi run w/ 4.1 @ 7:19 pace (=30 min), 2475 yd swim

500 w/u
50 kick
3 x 100 on 1:30, extra :30 after the last one
200 fast 2:31
3 x 100 on 1:30, extra :30 after the last one
2 x 200 fast on 3:00 (2:28, 2:29)
3 x 100 on 1:30, extra :30 after the last one
2 x 200 fast on 3:00 (2:28, 2:29)
25 kick c/d

Proud member of Fishtwitch and the ST Grammar Police
disclaimer: I am a PhD, not a medical doctor. The closest I get to surgery is topology.
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Challenge [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
This challenge welcomes all participants. Your goal is to swim 4x a week. OW, pool, whatever.


Big month for HalfSpeed, who has the PDX Bridge Swim in a few days!

yeah, but it only counts as one swim.

7/1
Ocean swim from Oak Street to Main Beach buoy, Laguna Beach. no wetsuit, water was 64-68 (hotspots out there) hardly a shiver post swim. 2670 yards in 40 minutes

7/2
No swim, instead a 68 mile bike ride to Oceanside Pier and back. Beautiful day.

7/3
Pool Swim - 4200 yards in 1:08
w/u 200s/100brk/100bk/100s
2x[3x50hrd@:45; 1x50ez@1:00/2x50hrd@:45; 1x50ez@1:00/1x50hrd]
pull 400/300/200/100 @1:30base
4x100@1:20/100@2:00/3x100@1:20/100@2:00/2x100@1:20/100@2:00
3x100 s/k cool



7/4

A little pre-swim run of 2.5 miles followed by:
An epic swim out of Table Rock Beach, Laguna. Entry and exit were precarious as the surf was up and the tide was low, exposing rocks that were trying hard to hurt you. The water was a disgusting brown color (I don't want to know what from) and was about 62 on entry and 65 outside. no wetsuit - 3612 yards in 55 minutes.


7/5
No swim today - did a 4.5 mile run this morning and will ride my bike at lunch. I might join the Dusk Patrol for a dip at Shaw's Cove. We'll see.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Challenge [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have never posted in this thread but experimenting with upping my swimming for the next 4 weeks before Boulder 70.3. In my 16 week CDA 70.3 build i averaged 8700 yds and 3.5 swims a week. for the next few weeks i am swimming 6x a week to see if I can see any marginal gains. I realize it isn't a long enough block to really make a leap, but it is a digestible block to experiment with. My 70.3 swims have regressed from 31-32 to 34 despite increased volume since 2014, so needless to say i am puzzled. The challenge is I only have time for about 2500 per session due to commute demands. Here is July so far (SCY):

7/1:Off
7/2: 2300 (500 easy, 500 pull/paddle, 10x100 send off pyramid: 2:00, 1:55, 1:50, 1:45, 1:40 then back up, 200 pull, 100 CD
7/3: 2500(500 easy, 500 pull/paddle, 250 drill, 10x50 all out (30 sec rest), 2x200 pull (sighting and breathe to left), 100 CD
7/4: 2100 OWS, 1K out and back
7/5: 2600 (500 easy, 500 pull/paddle, 200 drill, 4x50 all out (30 sec rest) + 200 cruising speed, repeat, 300 pull/paddle, 250 kick, 50 CD
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Challenge [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Anna, I'm curious how you trained for Roth. Did you have a coach, make your own training plan, take one from a book or website... ?


Hey TC, I've sort of made my own training plan with the help of Slowtwitch. Although I've only started really posting this year, I've been reading Slowtwitch for about 4 years and gone extensively through the archives (mainly reading all BarryP's, DD's, Dev's posts about training). Not that this qualifies me to coach myself!! I also have a lovely local lady who has been doing ironman distance tris for the last 18 years without fail, she turns 60 this year. Through her I've learnt about the importance of consistency - she is the most consistent triathlete in training and racing that I know in real life (as opposed to the slowtwitch members).
Last edited by: Anna s: Jul 5, 17 11:22
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Challenge [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cool. It is ALL about consistency and frequency (and some long workouts, for IM distance ;-)

I am so psyched for you! I've never done that distance. I hope you'll post a race report at some interval of time after.

Proud member of Fishtwitch and the ST Grammar Police
disclaimer: I am a PhD, not a medical doctor. The closest I get to surgery is topology.
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Challenge [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
This challenge welcomes all participants. Your goal is to swim 4x a week. OW, pool, whatever.

Big month for HalfSpeed, who has the PDX Bridge Swim in a few days!
yeah, but it only counts as one swim.

LOL!

Proud member of Fishtwitch and the ST Grammar Police
disclaimer: I am a PhD, not a medical doctor. The closest I get to surgery is topology.
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Challenge [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trying to get back into it after a week and a half flying around the world. ugh, motivation is lacking. got to get my butt in gear. 4x a week is doable, but don't make fun of my short distances lol!

Strava I Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Challenge [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
don't make fun of my short distances lol!

I have posted quite a few 600-800 yard swims in the past several months. No worries.

Proud member of Fishtwitch and the ST Grammar Police
disclaimer: I am a PhD, not a medical doctor. The closest I get to surgery is topology.
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Challenge [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks TC I'm super excited and very nervous.
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Challenge [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice swim Dev!!!
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Challenge [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If anyone is interested in tracking me during my 11 mile Willamette River Swim (aka: Portland Bridge Swim), they've made an app available to do so. Go to your App store, whatever device you have, and locate/install RaceJoy. See the tutorial how to start tracking me (Steve Sponagle). There's a way you can cheer me on, but my phone, which is doing the tracking, will be stuffed into my drybag deep in the hull of my escort's kayak. I know I won't hear it and I doubt my kayaker will, either. But, thanks in advance! It's sure to be full of thrills, tension and high drama as 80 of us duke it out on the river. Meh... more like "Steve has just passed the OMSI."
There ya go.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Challenge [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am glad I can track you!!!

Proud member of Fishtwitch and the ST Grammar Police
disclaimer: I am a PhD, not a medical doctor. The closest I get to surgery is topology.
Quote Reply

Prev Next