Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Josh Beck can't swim - IMLou: 1:20, 4:42, 3:04
Quote | Reply
Love the guy. But life's hard when you give up 35 minutes in the water.

IMLou:
Place after swim. 1139 overall, 165 in AG
Place after bike. 20 overall, 2 in AG
Place after run? TBD, but will be <8 and 1
Last edited by: kny: Aug 29, 10 14:23
Quote Reply
Re: Josh Beck can't swim. [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poor guy, he's like me, only moreso. Will be the first and last time I outsplit JB at anything.

Looks like he's off to a solid start for the run, 7:01's thru the first run split. I can't imagine running that fast in those temps off the bike in an IM.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know who he is but clearly the guy can ride, passing 1119 people on the ride is a GOOD ride!

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True dat. But wow what a motor he's got. I don't see him out much anymore, but he used to sometimes turn up for Carlisle Tuesday/Thursday rides, as did some other pretty fast guys. Sadly there's way fewer people turning up in general the last couple of years.

Brian

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Re: Josh Beck can't swim. [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I don't know who he is but clearly the guy can ride, passing 1119 people on the ride is a GOOD ride!

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he's the only American (male at least) to podium at Powerman Zofingen in the last 15 years.

Duathlete monster, which is why few at slowtwitch would have heard of him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I was close.

7 and 2. Wonder who in his division had enough buffer to hold off a 4:42, 3:04.

And who even splits the Ironman marathon?

Nice Ironman debut Josh!

Code:

Josh Beck

BIB AGE STATE/COUNTRY PROFESSION
1398 32 Carlsile PA USA Laborer

SWIM BIKE RUN OVERALL RANK DIV.POS.
1:20:23 4:42:07 3:04:23 9:20:15 7 2

LEG DISTANCE PACE RANK DIV.POS.
TOTAL SWIM 2.4 mi. (1:20:23) 2:06/100m 1154 165

FIRST BIKE SEGMENT 23 mi (54:00) 25.56 mph
SECOND BIKE SEGMENT 40 mi (42:25) 24.05 mph
THIRD BIKE SEGMENT 70.5 mi (1:17:06) 23.74 mph
FINAL BIKE SEGMENT 112 mi (1:48:36) 22.93 mph
TOTAL BIKE 112 mi. (4:42:07) 23.82 mph 20 2

FIRST RUN SEGMENT 3.39 mi. (23:50) 7:01/mile
SECOND RUN SEGMENT 8.2 mi. (33:17) 6:55/mile
THIRD RUN SEGMENT 13.1 mi. (34:36) 7:08/mile
FOURTH RUN SEGMENT 15.33 mi. (16:06) 7:13/mile
FIFTH RUN SEGMENT 20.1 mi. (34:10) 7:09/mile
SIXTH RUN SEGMENT 25.04 mi. (34:10) 6:54/mile
FINAL RUN SEGMENT 26.2 mi. (8:14) 7:05/mile
TOTAL RUN 26.2 mi. (3:04:23) 7:02/mile 7 2

TRANSITION TIME
T1: SWIM-TO-BIKE 6:51
T2: BIKE-TO-RUN 6:31
Last edited by: kny: Aug 29, 10 14:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
7 and 2. Wonder who in his division had enough buffer to hold off a 4:42, 3:04.

Schloegel is a stud & won the M30-34 (6th o'all) - 1:01 / 5:00 / 3:02 = 9:11

---

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Quote Reply
Re: Josh Beck can't swim. [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In this example..........24% faster on the swim, 6% slower on the bike, 1% faster on the run..........looking at these, the AG winner should be 19% faster than the 2nd place person.....

......and yet there only a 1.5% difference in total time....and thats with significantly faster transitions that would make this percentage even lower.......

That's Ironman.........
Quote Reply
Re: Josh Beck can't swim. [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Schloegel is a stud & won the M30-34 (6th o'all) - 1:01 / 5:00 / 3:02 = 9:11
---

That is indeed most studly.
Quote Reply
Re: Josh Beck can't swim. [H2Owings] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In this example..........24% faster on the swim, 6% slower on the bike, 1% faster on the run..........looking at these, the AG winner should be 19% faster than the 2nd place person.....

......and yet there only a 1.5% difference in total time....and thats with significantly faster transitions that would make this percentage even lower.......

That's Ironman.........

Your numbers reminds me of the sort of stats one sees in political ads. The raw numbers may have some basis in reality, but the conclusion drawn from them is misleading or wrong.

You can't add up percentages to figure out that the 1st place guy should be 19% faster than the 2nd place guy.

What if the triathlon were a 25m pool swim followed by RAAM followed by a 100m dash? Do you think you could just add up the percent differences in each of the three legs to figure out the winner?

In this case Schloegel beat Beck by 19 minutes, gave back 18 minutes and gained back 2 minutes. So, without transitions he would have beaten him by 3 minutes. With transitions he beat him by 9. That's the math. No misleading percentages.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's sick is that he ran 3:04, off the bike, in ridiculous heat and humidity, and LOST 2 minutes to the doode in front of him.

I guess Josh and Casey Williams decided to do IMLou together? I see Casey got 5th in his AG, with a slightly less lame swim split.
Crazy PA duathletes.

PS - Nice to see THE SERGIO back in action!
Woulda thought he'd eat those conditions up (a la Kona, back in the day), but I guess he's not on his old form yet.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's with those transition times?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

That's Ironman.........

Your numbers reminds me of the sort of stats one sees in political ads. The raw numbers may have some basis in reality, but the conclusion drawn from them is misleading or wrong.

You can't add up percentages to figure out that the 1st place guy should be 19% faster than the 2nd place guy.

What if the triathlon were a 25m pool swim followed by RAAM followed by a 100m dash? Do you think you could just add up the percent differences in each of the three legs to figure out the winner?

In this case Schloegel beat Beck by 19 minutes, gave back 18 minutes and gained back 2 minutes. So, without transitions he would have beaten him by 3 minutes. With transitions he beat him by 9. That's the math. No misleading percentages.

My stock portfolio went 50% down one year and 50% up the next. That means I'm back to even!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think he's expressing amazement that in the magical world of IM maths doesn't work. I think the point is that the legs are massively skewed in favor of bikers i.e. that if they were fairly allocated adding up the percentages would approximate the overall percentage.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

That's Ironman.........

LOL
Quote Reply
Re: Josh Beck can't swim. [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KNY further proved my point..... You consider a "25m pool swim followed by RAAM followed by a 100m dash" a triathlon? Great example. Very similar to Ironman distances. Both individuals in this post had great ironman performances, especially with the heat. But are both great "tri"athletes. I would have to argue no. If the same emphasis was put on each of the three sports then a 1:20 swim wouldn't even be in the same race.

To Flanagan. If you compare each individually like was done....investing $100 each year.....lose 50 of the 100 the first year, gain 50 on the 100 the second year....hey that comes out to even...........can't believe I even responded to that.

Anyway, I have stated my point...if you wish you can continue to 'play what-ifs' and 'here is a stupid example' to try to prove that it doesn't have merit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The guy finished SEVENTH OVERALL in his first-ever IRONMAN TRIATHLON.

I'd say that makes him a pretty f'n great TRIATHLETE. I'd imagine all the PRO triathletes he beat soundly would agree with me.

They don't give out Kona slots and AG awards for fast individual splits, or for them being within some certain acceptable ratio of each other.
They start the clock, you race, you cross the finish line. Fastest wins. Regardless of the splits it takes.

On behalf of my fellow rockfish everywhere (JB being the Alpha dog of this group) - go bugger off.
And take your floppy feet, wrinkly fingers, and chlorine stink with you. ;-)

float , hammer , and jog

Last edited by: Murphy'sLaw: Aug 30, 10 8:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
KNY further proved my point..... You consider a "25m pool swim followed by RAAM followed by a 100m dash" a triathlon? Great example. Very similar to Ironman distances. Both individuals in this post had great ironman performances, especially with the heat. But are both great "tri"athletes. I would have to argue no. If the same emphasis was put on each of the three sports then a 1:20 swim wouldn't even be in the same race.

To Flanagan. If you compare each individually like was done....investing $100 each year.....lose 50 of the 100 the first year, gain 50 on the 100 the second year....hey that comes out to even...........can't believe I even responded to that.

Anyway, I have stated my point...if you wish you can continue to 'play what-ifs' and 'here is a stupid example' to try to prove that it doesn't have merit.

This is too good.

Ok, I understand now your initial point illustrated through those percentages was that Ironman legs are not equally weighted. Whatever, who cares.

I love the fact that you think if you start with $100, lose 50% in one year and make 50% the next year that you end up with $100. Awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Playing what-ifs, hmmmm you mean like "what if a triathlon was the same length of time for each leg of s/b/r?"

Almost all the distances since the dawn of the sport have taken roughly 10% of the overall race time for the swim, 50% for the bike and 40% for the run, always have been with ironman being very slightly different because of the way it was invented. Why do you wish it was different?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Hey, thanks for defining for us what a great "tri"athlete is...and the way you use the punctuation made me FINALLY recognize that there are 3 disciplines to the sport. Since I had not already figured that out. Sometimes I need a little help. But there is only one finish line clock and it doesn't care what your individual splits are as you pass below it. As far as the finish line clock is concerned, Josh Beck is a great triathlete, even if his swim is a bit weak. Try to wrap your chlorine addled brain around that!
Last edited by: greg'n: Aug 30, 10 8:51
Quote Reply
Re: Josh Beck can't swim. [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quit being so judgmental. If you go one step further and appropriately weight the "fourth discipline" of transitions then my one hour beat down by Josh et al at AmZof becomes a 51% victory for me. I like this theory a lot.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Josh Beck can't swim. [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the answer is $75...sadly, I know all too well. Although my advisor woul tell you he thinks we are even based upon his miraculous return (much like triathletes telling me how awesome their bike split was and forgetting about the walk-a-thon run)
Quote Reply
Re: Josh Beck can't swim. [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The guy finished SEVENTH OVERALL in his first-ever IRONMAN TRIATHLON.

I'd say that makes him a pretty f'n great TRIATHLETE. I'd imagine all the PRO triathletes he beat soundly would agree with me.

They don't give out Kona slots and AG awards for fast individual splits, or for them being within some certain acceptable ratio of each other.
They start the clock, you race, you cross the finish line. Fastest wins. Regardless of the splits it takes.

On behalf of my fellow rockfish everywhere (JB being the Alpha dog of this group) - go bugger off.
And take your floppy feet, wrinkly fingers, and chlorine stink with you. ;-)

Amen brother....the performance was outstanding! To all the swimmers beating up on the runners with the "it's not fair" story, Let's do an Ironman the other way, start with the run, do the bike, and end with the swim.....that should even things out when you get to do your sport with a fried depleted body.

While triathlon has rewarded strong runners who can ride well and perhaps do a lame swim, triathlon has more than compensated super strong swim-bikers with the exposure they get.....it all evens off! A perfect example is how much exposure Bjorn gets vs some guy like Sergio Marques.
Quote Reply
Re: Josh Beck can't swim. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do the swimmers not realize there is a sport out there for swimmers already? :)
Quote Reply
Re: Josh Beck can't swim. [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They don't get to brag to office co-workers that they did a TRI-ATH-A-LON and dont' get to wear a corporate tatoo around! That's why everyone does tris anyway!
Quote Reply

Prev Next