Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Jetze Plat 2:19 marathon....
Quote | Reply
Anyone else see the 2:19 marathon time by Jetze Plat?
He has a 53 swim, which is fairly competitive....but his bike of 5:23 needs work.
If he got that bike down but could still crank out that type of run speed.....he will be so fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Jetze Plat 2:19 marathon.... [ou8acracker2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I just googled his name and he's a wheelchair athlete. Are you aware of that?
Quote Reply
Re: Jetze Plat 2:19 marathon.... [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
So I just googled his name and he's a wheelchair athlete. Are you aware of that?

Haha no I am not aware of that at all....but that explains it! Thanks for the google.

Either way, wheels or no wheels. Im impressed with the times. Hell of a swim in light of the new info!
Last edited by: ou8acracker2: Oct 16, 17 8:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He is a wheelchair/handcycle athlete, first one to break 9 hours and set the course record by a lot!

He won gold at the Paralympics in Rio and did Kona for fun as no points for Tokyo this year in ITU

His bike time is actually blazing, his marathon time would not have qualified him for Boston.

My Blog of Me
Quote Reply
Re: Jetze Plat 2:19 marathon.... [swimcrankpush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimcrankpush wrote:
He is a wheelchair/handcycle athlete, first one to break 9 hours and set the course record by a lot!
He won gold at the Paralympics in Rio and did Kona for fun as no points for Tokyo this year in ITU
His bike time is actually blazing, his marathon time would not have qualified him for Boston.

I would think that the swim is also very difficult for a wheelchair athlete, as i would guess that your lower body sinks a ton in the water. To me swimming 53 for an iron swim with that much drag is very impressive. Any idea whether this guy was a swimmer before he got injured??? I read the book about the blind guy who swam for the Naval Academy, became a SEAL, and then was blinded in Iraq or AFG but came back to swim pretty damn fast in the swimming para-Olympics. All you para guys are EXTREMELY impressive and can teach most people a thing or too about perseverance and toughness. Bravo Sir, BRAVO!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Jetze Plat 2:19 marathon.... [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I honestly do not know much about times in regards to the para guys. Now the curiosity bug got me and Ill have to look it up.

to swim that speed with no leg help, then to use your arms to shoulder pedal on the bike, then arms to run with the wheels...this guy has got to have some crazy arms.

More power to the guy for all of this. I wonder what his story is
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ou8acracker2 wrote:
I honestly do not know much about times in regards to the para guys. Now the curiosity bug got me and Ill have to look it up.
to swim that speed with no leg help, then to use your arms to shoulder pedal on the bike, then arms to run with the wheels...this guy has got to have some crazy arms.

Ya, those para guys have incredibly fit upper bodies since they're doing the whole race just using their arms and shoulders. Extremely impressive, hope that swimcrankpush will reply to my post since he appears to be a para-triathlete himself.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Jetze Plat 2:19 marathon.... [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
ou8acracker2 wrote:

Ya, those para guys have incredibly fit upper bodies since they're doing the whole race just using their arms and shoulders. Extremely impressive, hope that swimcrankpush will reply to my post since he appears to be a para-triathlete himself.

Just now put this together...and yea, if he is it would be cool to hear a voice on this. Not something that gets mentioned a lot and now I am rather curious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure of his sporting back ground, his disability was not acquired he was born with shortened legs one is about mid thigh I believe, the other is about 10% shorter than normal.

He is able to kick a little with his one leg in the swim but not much I suspect, I can attest that its tough using just the upper body for the whole thing normally the upper body is not as large or as powerful as the legs...
His swim is very good, his bike for the distance would be comparable to an uber biker and his run is very good but could use work, I suspect he could go sub 8

This is a pick of him with a pro, he has arms that are monstrous, he is a big powerful guy

My Blog of Me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I looked for some other results and saw he swam a 21:56(!) at 70.3 Luxembourg ... so I'm guessing the no-wetsuit swim at Kona was challenging for him.
Last edited by: spudone: Oct 16, 17 12:22
Quote Reply
Re: Jetze Plat 2:19 marathon.... [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wetsuits are always legal for PC athletes. Luxembourg is a fast swim course.
Quote Reply
Re: Jetze Plat 2:19 marathon.... [jheathjr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jheathjr wrote:
Cool didn't know that about the wetsuits. But I also assume they have the option to wear one or not? With the water temperature at Kona, I could see it being a toss up for him.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very impressed with his swim and overall performance in both those events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ou8acracker2 wrote:

This was an amazing time for a para-athlete. There have only been 3 handcyclists to go under 10 hours in Kona. The previous fastest time was a little over 9 hours set by Thomas Fruhwirth. The only other handcyclist to go under 10 was Krige Schabort in 2011. Only 1 female handcyclist has officially finished(Minda Dentler) . My wife qualified in 2015, but did not finish the bike course before the cutoff, and she is a relatively fast handcyclist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
jheathjr wrote:

Cool didn't know that about the wetsuits. But I also assume they have the option to wear one or not? With the water temperature at Kona, I could see it being a toss up for him.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very impressed with his swim and overall performance in both those events.

Yeah, I'm not sure if he wore a wetsuit or not. His transition was pretty fast, so he may have opted to not wear one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
jheathjr wrote:

Wet suits are legal up to 28 ÂşCelsius, Jetze swam in a huub speed suit.
For Kona most wheelchair athletes will wear just something like lava pants, I did see one guy with a desoto bib

My Blog of Me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jheathjr wrote:
ou8acracker2 wrote:

This was an amazing time for a para-athlete. There have only been 3 handcyclists to go under 10 hours in Kona. The previous fastest time was a little over 9 hours set by Thomas Fruhwirth. The only other handcyclist to go under 10 was Krige Schabort in 2011. Only 1 female handcyclist has officially finished(Minda Dentler) . My wife qualified in 2015, but did not finish the bike course before the cutoff, and she is a relatively fast handcyclist.

Monique Van der Vorst was the first female handcyclist to finish, now she did it before the rule change that stated the handcycle had to be a recumbent. She did it in a kneeler where Minda did it in a long seat.

My Blog of Me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swimcrankpush wrote:
jheathjr wrote:
ou8acracker2 wrote:

Monique Van der Vorst was the first female handcyclist to finish, now she did it before the rule change that stated the handcycle had to be a recumbent. She did it in a kneeler where Minda did it in a long seat.

I am assuming a recumbent, kneeler, and long seat are all different? Ive seen the seated one, where you are in a L position, and the kneeler ones. Which ones are easier or I suppose faster/more efficient?

and that guy has MASSIVE arms. Holy shi* haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swimcrankpush wrote:

Correct, but Monique was not really disabled(at least not physically)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jheathjr wrote:
swimcrankpush wrote:

then how could she race in one without being disabled? Dangit, the amount of googling this thread is going to cause me lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ou8acracker2 wrote:
swimcrankpush wrote:
jheathjr wrote:
ou8acracker2 wrote:

I am assuming a recumbent, kneeler, and long seat are all different? Ive seen the seated one, where you are in a L position, and the kneeler ones. Which ones are easier or I suppose faster/more efficient?

and that guy has MASSIVE arms. Holy shi* haha

Pics of Jetze in a Kneeler and Recumbent.
In paracycling he is classified in a Kneeler, in triathlon everyone has to be in a Recumbent at this time

Recumbent more aero, Kneeler can be faster depending on the course but Recumbent's are now pretty much the same speed these days depending on who's driving it and what they mostly train in.

My Blog of Me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jheathjr wrote:
swimcrankpush wrote:

Ya she has an interesting past, but she competed/trained as a wheeler, was classified and competed in the Paralympics, even if the disability was fully mental she was still the first.

I was really hoping Liz would have gotten it done this year she was looking strong when I last saw her

My Blog of Me
Last edited by: swimcrankpush: Oct 16, 17 14:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swimcrankpush wrote:
jheathjr wrote:
swimcrankpush wrote:

Ya she has an interesting past, but she competed/trained as a wheeler, was classified and competed in the Paralympics, even if the disability was fully mental she was still the first.

I was really hoping Liz would have gotten it done this year she was looking strong when I last saw her

Yeah, Me too. I was tracking her Saturday. She gave it a hell of an effort. It's a really hard race for women handcyclist. Had to be crushing to get pulled at 108.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jheathjr wrote:
swimcrankpush wrote:
jheathjr wrote:
swimcrankpush wrote:

Yeah, Me too. I was tracking her Saturday. She gave it a hell of an effort. It's a really hard race for women handcyclist. Had to be crushing to get pulled at 108.

Super hard for woman and even some men the cutoff is silly when the run can be so much faster for a wheelchair most of the time

Need to be out of T1 in 1:30 or less to have a good chance and for Liz I think it would have helped to have done a full before making this her first 180km handcycle is no joke more so after a swim.

My Blog of Me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just read his blog, a very poorly translated one but he said Iromman is a one and done, he is going to fully focus on short distance and Tokyo.

The more I think about this his performance was more impressive than the pros, I really like Sanders total fan boy but Jetze crushed the old record and he beat the all the woman pro times with only his arms total legend or should be

My Blog of Me
Quote Reply

Prev Next