Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Jesse Thomas 2:02 bike in Peru, 2nd @ 33sec behind Potts
Quote | Reply
55.2 miles: https://www.strava.com/activities/955141735

87% of ftp at 3.98w/kg with a solid run as he builds up to defend his title at Lanzarote IM. Who else will be at Lanzarote?

predictions on Jesse's placing at Hawaii this year? as always, hoping for a strong US showing with the Hoff, Potts, Jesse.. who else?

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Jesse Thomas 2:02 bike in Peru, 2nd @ 33sec behind Potts [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Jesse lost 1min in T1 to a broken zipper, and he had to duct-tape his suit closed for the ride. Which is hilariously awesome. Of course, Potts is THE master of never racing faster than he needs to, so he certainly might have had a faster performance in him had he needed it. No pics YET...

2) I noticed Potts' kit said "Skechers Performance." That's a pretty massive change for a guy who has been an ASICS athlete for 15+ years of his absurdly impressive career.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Jesse Thomas 2:02 bike in Peru, 2nd @ 33sec behind Potts [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
1) Jesse lost 1min in T1 to a broken zipper, and he had to duct-tape his suit closed for the ride. Which is hilariously awesome.

This begs the question, where did the duct tape come from?! I love this story. But for it to only take one minute from the moment he goes, "shit, my zipper is broken" to "I know, I can duct tape it closed, if only I could find some. Hey Andy, can I borrow some duct tape?" - it's just funny to think how this actually went down in the craziness of a pro wave T1.

I actually keep duct tape in a little ditty bag that I bring to races to fix the unknown, along with some zip ties, a Sharpie, a hole punch and scissors. This combo has come in infinitely handy many times over.

I'm just genuinely curious about how this actually played out for Jesse. Rappstar - let us know if you know the deets on this. Thanks!

-Doug

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Re: Jesse Thomas 2:02 bike in Peru, 2nd @ 33sec behind Potts [DougEFresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is brilliant @DougEfresh, almost sounds like an episode of McGyver :) lol

Jesse is quite keen on updating his blog and always produces some quality reading material, so look forward to an awesome race recap. Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Jesse Thomas 2:02 bike in Peru, 2nd @ 33sec behind Potts [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, Potts has been in Skechers this year. After years with Asics, I hope he is getting good money. Wonder if it was Asics letting him go or Skechers making him a much better deal.
You know those pros have no company loyalty ;)

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Jesse Thomas 2:02 bike in Peru, 2nd @ 33sec behind Potts [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:

87% of ftp at 3.98w/kg with a solid run as he builds up to defend his title at Lanzarote IM. Who else will be at Lanzarote?

predictions on Jesse's placing at Hawaii this year? as always, hoping for a strong US showing with the Hoff, Potts, Jesse.. who else?
Great for Jesse.
As far as Lanzarote, I believe I saw that Patrick Lange was racing. Should be interesting.

I think Jesse can make top 10 at Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Jesse Thomas 2:02 bike in Peru, 2nd @ 33sec behind Potts [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lange vs Thomas. nice!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Short story from him about the duct tape:

https://www.facebook.com/JesseThomasTriathlete/posts/782680045230887

Good stuff. But begs the question given the picture why wasn't he DQ'd. Glad he wasn't... its a stupid rule anyways... IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:

I see the US guys being less of an impact. Russell is having a baby, TO is having a baby, and Potts seems to be transitioning himself as he sunsets his career. I think it all falls on Hoff, which is quite ok. Hoff is the one athlete who is really taking the job seriously anyway by putting his focus on the event. Jesse is amazingly talented, I believe much more so than Hoff, but the Hoff is simply doing the crazy volume, with focus that athletes need to do to be successful. Chris L. keeps getting better and better but it is tough to make the Kona jump in your first shot. Give him a few years.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Jesse Thomas 2:02 bike in Peru, 2nd @ 33sec behind Potts [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jesse Thomas is also having another baby per his twitter account.
Quote Reply
Re: Jesse Thomas 2:02 bike in Peru, 2nd @ 33sec behind Potts [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pat0 wrote:

Yep but he has one. I don't, I think maybe a second one is as challenging. I'm not really sure though either so maybe Rappstar can comment as he has WAY more perspective on this than me. I just think there is something about the first once. It is almost like a complete lifestyle change I would have to imagine.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Jesse Thomas 2:02 bike in Peru, 2nd @ 33sec behind Potts [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As always great insight and opinion from Thomas Gerlach particularly as a talented Pro Triathlete. I think this year or next is Andy Pott's last shot at a Podium in Kona, although to be honest I think his best shot was the time he finished 4th when he was still sponsored by Kestrel.

Matt Russell is on an upward trajectory. He is a consistent performer and he should have finished sub 8 at IM Texas if it not were for the race mishaps he had. I see Matt as a dark horse for a Kona Podium in the next 5 years.

You are spot on your analysis of Ben Hoffman, he is in his prime, put in the time, the volume, the focus, the consistency and he has a legitimate shot at winning Kona in the next 3 years.

Finally, the future to me of US Long Distance Triathletes is called Chris Leiferman. His win at Mt Tremblant, as well as his other results last year and his 2nd at Oceanside this year show he is the real deal. I believe he is kind of flying under the radar and not much talk has gone on about his 2nd at Oceanside, I predict not only will he win IM Boulder, but he will set a new course record. He made the right call not racing Kona last year and taking his time. Under the tutelage of Lovato I expect to see great things from him in the next few years.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
1)
2) I noticed Potts' kit said "Skechers Performance." That's a pretty massive change for a guy who has been an ASICS athlete for 15+ years of his absurdly impressive career.

I think the more pertinent question is how does Jordan Rapp pronounce that brand?

Ass-iks like a Kiwi or Ace-iks like a Yank?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Jesse Thomas 2:02 bike in Peru, 2nd @ 33sec behind Potts [Alfredo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last and definitely not least Jesse Thomas is remarkably talented. His swim at Peru 70.3 showed great progress and recorded both the fastest bike and run! I expect to see him win at set a new course record at Lanzarote, followed with a top 10 at Kona this year and a top 5 nin 2018.
Quote Reply
Re: Jesse Thomas 2:02 bike in Peru, 2nd @ 33sec behind Potts [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I predict a ST thread by Tuesday on aero efficiency / hottest new trend of duct tape...
Quote Reply
Re: Jesse Thomas 2:02 bike in Peru, 2nd @ 33sec behind Potts [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder why the brake cover wasn't on his Dimond..? That helmet seems to be a one-off with a very high lens shield...? and last, interesting shoes: Giro with elastic in the laces?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
I wonder why the brake cover wasn't on his Dimond..? That helmet seems to be a one-off with a very high lens shield...? and last, interesting shoes: Giro with elastic in the laces?

It's a stock Giro Aerohead. Just Redbull painted. And Jesse basically always looks like a vagrant on race day. Even without the duct tape...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not vagrant, it's derelicte

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Pat0 wrote:

Yep but he has one. I don't, I think maybe a second one is as challenging. I'm not really sure though either so maybe Rappstar can comment as he has WAY more perspective on this than me. I just think there is something about the first once. It is almost like a complete lifestyle change I would have to imagine.

I have no idea what it is like to have two kids (we went 1->3), so my perspective hear will be limited... But almost everyone I know says that 1->2 is a MUCH bigger change from a family dynamic standpoint than 0->1. 0->1 is a massive change, but way more for the mother. Like, when we had one, Jill's life change ENTIRELY. But my life - especially from a training perspective - was largely unchanged. Now certainly if Jesse's wife Lauren had a 9-5, that might be different. But she doesn't. And based off what I know, Jesse's parents (or maybe it's Lauren's parents... or maybe both) live in town, so I would guess that Jude probably introduced close to zero UNWANTED disruption into Jesse's life.

Given that the Flomases have family close by, I am sure they will manage it fine, but still, it will PROBABLY be a bigger change for Jesse than 0->1 just as it will probably be a smaller change for Lauren.

But everyone's circumstances are different. The jump from 1->3 was especially challenging for Jill and I because of 1) twins and 2) we had to buy a house to accommodate the jump from 1->3 so it was 1->3 AND a mortgage. So that was a huge change for us because it was two really big changes.

With that said, I certainly could have done a better job managing it than I did. I think I let it stress me more than it needed to. Jesse is way more low key than I am, and he's facing less disruption, so I wouldn't think that another kid would be any sort of factor in his racing.

Quote Reply
Re: Jesse Thomas 2:02 bike in Peru, 2nd @ 33sec behind Potts [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dyarab wrote:
Good stuff. But begs the question given the picture why wasn't he DQ'd. Glad he wasn't... its a stupid rule anyways... IMO.

Perhaps the duct taping was not considered "outside assistance" (OA) b/c it was done by two volunteers; if it had been done by his wife and coach, then it would've been considered OA, I think.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Jesse Thomas 2:02 bike in Peru, 2nd @ 33sec behind Potts [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
dyarab wrote:

Perhaps the duct taping was not considered "outside assistance" (OA) b/c it was done by two volunteers; if it had been done by his wife and coach, then it would've been considered OA, I think.

LOL. My first take on that was that he should have been DQ'ed because the new rule says "zippers may only be unzipped to the sternum."

Yes, absolutely, a volunteer can do something like this whereas a coach/friend/wife/sherpa could not (without risking a DQ).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
dyarab wrote:

LOL. My first take on that was that he should have been DQ'ed because the new rule says "zippers may only be unzipped to the sternum."
Yes, absolutely, a volunteer can do something like this whereas a coach/friend/wife/sherpa could not (without risking a DQ).

What is with all this false modesty these days. :) In any case, glad to know my guess on the assistance correct. Thanks!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Jesse Thomas 2:02 bike in Peru, 2nd @ 33sec behind Potts [Alfredo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to say that Potts is very impressive. I know that Kona hasn't gone his way but he has been winning these types of race for years. Coming from a swimming background he has developed into a very strong bike/runner.

With all the discussion, on another thread, about Mr Sanders winning week in/out but hasn't Potts but filling that role for a few years now?
Quote Reply
Re: Jesse Thomas 2:02 bike in Peru, 2nd @ 33sec behind Potts [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
dyarab wrote:

What is with all this false modesty these days. :) In any case, glad to know my guess on the assistance correct. Thanks!!!

I'm a little confused... the rule is the zipper cannot be unzipped below the sternum, correct? Whether or not the volunteers, rather hilariously, helped him out or not is irrelevant in this case. The zipper is unzipped to basically his waistline. As I read the rule, that's a DQ. As I said, I'm glad they did not DQ him as it's a ridiculous rule (IMO).

That said, I'm still wondering why they did not DQ him? Cause it was a 'wardrobe malfunction'; he attempted to rectify it; they didn't care because it was on the bike as he did put on a shirt for the run; no ref saw him (seems most likely in this case); something else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dyarab wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
dyarab wrote:

I'm a little confused... the rule is the zipper cannot be unzipped below the sternum, correct? Whether or not the volunteers, rather hilariously, helped him out or not is irrelevant in this case. The zipper is unzipped to basically his waistline. As I read the rule, that's a DQ. As I said, I'm glad they did not DQ him as it's a ridiculous rule (IMO).

That said, I'm still wondering why they did not DQ him? Cause it was a 'wardrobe malfunction'; he attempted to rectify it; they didn't care because it was on the bike as he did put on a shirt for the run; no ref saw him (seems most likely in this case); something else.

The rule is that you can be DQ'd if the situation is not remedied upon first warning. Sounds like he was never given a warning.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply

Prev Next