Prev Next
Jens attempting the hour record!!
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Jens attempting the hour record!! [markg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Righteous

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I figured this was coming when he talked about just riding for an hour and then said in his next tweet something there is some news on the horizon. This is awesome. It would be even better if they streamed video of his ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Jens attempting the hour record!! [trimick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As he said in his statement, his performance in Colorado Springs was a pretty good indicator of where his 1-hour power is. Even if he falls short in the end, who better to attempt it than someone that's tough as nails, and in good form.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the article. This is awesome and completely unexpected.

Jens says it all in the article. Hopefully this will set off a round of attempts. About time someone actually did it and stopped just talking. Good luck Jens.
Quote Reply
Re: Jens attempting the hour record!! [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They list the record as 49.7kmh. That must be Eddy Merckx rules? What is the record based on the new, looser bike regulation rules? What type of bike/setup will Jens be racing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! What are the chances/odds it'll be streamed live?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My chances are absolutely hopeless...but it's still fun to just see how well I can do :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
I would have evaluated his chances as hopeless.

So, will be fascinating to see if I am wrong!

Given that he can use modern equipment (aero bars, aero frame, disc wheel(s), etc), I'd say he has a decent shot at breaking the current record (but not coming close to Boardman's all-time record).

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Jens attempting the hour record!! [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They aren't using boardman's TT bike record as the new record, now that the rules are changed?

If they are using boardman's road bike record, then yes, jens will get it. Unless someone else gets it first.

Power13 wrote:
jackmott wrote:

Given that he can use modern equipment (aero bars, aero frame, disc wheel(s), etc), I'd say he has a decent shot at breaking the current record (but not coming close to Boardman's all-time record).

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
jackmott wrote:

Some one will correct my math, but I have him at about 400 watts for 50 KPH.

Assuming a CDA of .200 (double disk, new "special bike" no derailuers, brakes, controlled indoor conditions, etc) that might be too low but IIRC Boardman superman, and the Obree egg were about .180 CDA…..can't remember where I read that.

The more interesting thing is if this will make the hour record "interesting" again.

Maurice
Last edited by: mauricemaher: Sep 3, 14 7:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok yea the current official record is the road bike record by convicted doper Ondřej Sosenka, 49.700 km

Yes he can beat that

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chances of setting it: hopeless. Chances of getting lots of attention, what he's proven best at recently? Very high.

I think Jens retired from cycling a year or two ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
They aren't using boardman's TT bike record as the new record, now that the rules are changed?

If they are using boardman's road bike record, then yes, jens will get it. Unless someone else gets it first.

Power13 wrote:
jackmott wrote:

They changed the rules to allow modern equipment back in May(?), but said existing records would stand as the mark to beat. So the record is 49.7KM, set by whatshisname, is the current record (not Boardman's "Merckx" mark).

So yeah, Jens should set the new mark until the big boys take a shot at it....and he himself makes that note in the press release.

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Jens attempting the hour record!! [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Chances of setting it: hopeless. Chances of getting lots of attention, what he's proven best at recently? Very high.

You really don't think he can beat a record using antiquated equipment by using modern equipment? Jens was always an above-average TT'er....even at his advanced age, I think he can break 50km with all the aero goodies.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming nobody else lowers it before he tries, and he makes a serious effort, I will eat rotted fish if he doesn't break the record.

Power13 wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

You really don't think he can beat a record using antiquated equipment by using modern equipment? Jens was always an above-average TT'er....even at his advanced age, I think he can break 50km with all the aero goodies.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think anyone else will take a shot within two weeks.....at least not anyone who has a chance of setting it. Anyone who is a decent TT'er is either racing the Vuelta or preparing for World's. A smart move by Jens re: the timing....but as Carl correctly notes, it is large,y a PR gambit, IMO.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I don't see it. A good TTer, sure, but he's never really been at the level of top dogs when they all race together. As you mentioned, he could get it if timed right and depending on equipment. But seems like either a big engine classics guy or pure TTer will get the record that stands. FC, Wiggo, Tony Martin. In fact, I could see Wiggo having the best shot at it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Assuming nobody else lowers it before he tries, and he makes a serious effort, I will eat rotted fish if he doesn't break the record.

Power13 wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

If he fails, here you go :-)
http://buy-surstromming.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
But seems like either a big engine classics guy or pure TTer will get the record that stands. FC, Wiggo, Tony Martin. In fact, I could see Wiggo having the best shot at it.

Oh yeah....absolutely. And Voigt even gives a nod to that in the press release. He knows his record (if he gets it) will be short-lived. As you noted, as much a PR opportunity as anything else....but with this window if opportunity, why not take a shot at it to get the ball rolling?

Quote Reply
Re: Jens attempting the hour record!! [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
No, I don't see it. A good TTer, sure, but he's never really been at the level of top dogs when they all race together. As you mentioned, he could get it if timed right and depending on equipment. But seems like either a big engine classics guy or pure TTer will get the record that stands. FC, Wiggo, Tony Martin. In fact, I could see Wiggo having the best shot at it.

Wiggo has the best shot at it, only because he isn't really doing anything else at the moment and SKY need an outlet for him to do something. Martin is clearly the man to beat, all else equal, but his attitude towards the record is "M'eh" - Once a few have laid down their attempts, Martin will swing in with a "now this is how you TT" like he owns the place.
Quote Reply
Re: Jens attempting the hour record!! [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:

Wiggo has the best shot at it, only because he isn't really doing anything else at the moment and SKY need an outlet for him to do something. Martin is clearly the man to beat, all else equal, but his attitude towards the record is "M'eh" - Once a few have laid down their attempts, Martin will swing in with a "now this is how you TT" like he owns the place.

Wiggo is racing the Tour of Britain and then (I believe) focusing on Worlds TT. There is no opportunity for him to take a shot at the record between now and Voigt's attempt. After that, his contract is basically over for SKY.

At some point in the next year, Martin or Cancellera will throw down a huge number that will put the record on the shelf for awhile.....until then, the window of opportunity exists for people to scratch their names into the record book, if only for a brief period.

Quote Reply

Prev Next