Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Jens Voigt's Helmet?
Quote | Reply
Anyone know what helmet he was using in the Hour Record?

Last edited by: fastasduck: Sep 22, 14 4:49
Quote Reply
Re: Jens Voigt's Helmet? [fastasduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The helmet: Jens' Bontrager helmet was designed internally with Trek's analysis team at helming the effort to ensure that nothing was left on the table. Wind tunnel and computational fluid dynamics (CFD) testing were utilized to design the optimal shape and placement of vents to cut through the air while ensuring Jens' head remains cool under pressure.

From here: Trek
Quote Reply
Re: Jens Voigt's Helmet? [dogchili94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what you're saying is, i just need to keep my eyes on the classifieds forum and my local craigslist and will come across one soon. Can't wait to get my hands on one!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still think it looks like the old Bell Vortex from the mid-90's.

Everything old is new again.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Jens Voigt's Helmet? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking it looked a lot like the old Giro Lemond.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one thing to note - he isn't wearing shoe covers, I'm sure they tested them in the wind tunnel
Quote Reply
Re: Jens Voigt's Helmet? [tylerwal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shoe covers are no longer allowed for indoor track events

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Jens Voigt's Helmet? [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
Shoe covers are no longer allowed for indoor track events

did not realize that, thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Jens Voigt's Helmet? [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who needs shoe covers when you have unobtanium, teflon-coated, hyper reflective and air molecule impermeant shoes fabricated from kryptonite impregnated nanoscopic carbon fiber. Or whatever those shoes are constructed from...look at the reflective surface!
Quote Reply
Re: Jens Voigt's Helmet? [Nunchuck_Canuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nunchuck_Canuck wrote:
So what you're saying is, i just need to keep my eyes on the classifieds forum and my local craigslist and will come across one soon. Can't wait to get my hands on one!

I'm not sure a helmet designed for 0º yaw will be of much value outside of the track?

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't believe where they put his power meter display. How is he supposed to see it behind the seat? Someone should get fired for that blunder!!
Quote Reply
Re: Jens Voigt's Helmet? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I think it looks exactly like the old Bell Vortex. I guess I won't bother replacing mine after all!
Quote Reply
Re: Jens Voigt's Helmet? [micaza75] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
micaza75 wrote:
I can't believe where they put his power meter display. How is he supposed to see it behind the seat? Someone should get fired for that blunder!!

Dunno if you forgot the pink, but it is against the rules of track pursuit racing to see your power when racing. It was there for data collection purposes, not monitoring his efforts.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Jens Voigt's Helmet? [micaza75] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
micaza75 wrote:

it would've been bathed in sunshine for an hour anyway ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Jens Voigt's Helmet? [shep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Technically, Trek in the not so distant future make both the helmet and bike available to be UCI legal. There does not seem to be any repercussions to offenders but in this case, I suppose, the UCI could strip him of the title if Trek does not comply. I expect Trek to roll out a tiny amount of helmets and frames (or maybe they make the frame a real part of the track line) to avoid controversy. Plus, with all the marketing they did for this event, can't imagine they will struggle to sell a few limited edition Jens hour items for a nice profit.
Quote Reply
Re: Jens Voigt's Helmet? [Nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why does Trek have to sell a Speed Concept modified to use a track hub, and brakes removed? I don't think that will sell well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nigel wrote:
Technically, Trek in the not so distant future make both the helmet and bike available to be UCI legal.

Ah I forgot about that rule. I remember hearing about during the London Olympics TT and road race. Does it apply in this case or only Olympic games?

-------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It'll be like the no label British track national team bikes from the last Olympics, available on their website for 25,000 dollars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Changing the rear dropouts may not qualify as a new model so I suspect that it is considered the same bike by UCI for certification. As to whether you would want to buy a track bike with 8 cm of BB drop is another question since it probably is not usable as a mass start bike on most tracks with the reduced pedal clearance. Pursuit bike designs sometimes have less drop than other track bikes to move the center of gravity further in towards the center on the corners. The Cervelo T4 has 6cm of BB drop and that is noticeably less clearance on the banking compared to the 4.5-5cm on standard track frames.
Quote Reply
Re: Jens Voigt's Helmet? [dogchili94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dogchili94 wrote:
The helmet: Jens' Bontrager helmet was designed internally with Trek's analysis team at helming the effort to ensure that nothing was left on the table. Wind tunnel and computational fluid dynamics (CFD) testing were utilized to design the optimal shape and placement of vents to cut through the air while ensuring Jens' head remains cool under pressure.

From here: Trek

My guess is that this will be their new aero road helmet. It probably didn't cost him much time (if any) over their TT helmet. Since we all know this was a big Trek PR move, I'd expect to be seeing ads for "The Fastest Road Helmet" from Bontrager soon.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Jens Voigt's Helmet? [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bontrager RSL Hour Record helmet: http://www.trekfactoryracing.com/equipment

-------------------
Quote Reply