Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
It's headlamp running season
Quote | Reply
Looking to buy a new headlamp for safer running in the dark. I'd love to hear suggestions of what model you all recommend!

I want something that will provide plenty of light to see ahead of me - the one I have now is far too weak. I live in the 'burbs so the streets themselves are not very well lit. How many lumens do you think is enough? I've looked at the Black Diamond Sprinter - which says it's 130 lumens, but I'm not sure if that would provide enough brightness.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: It's headlamp running season [anh1491] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also looking for a new running headlamp. Currently using a ~$15 model from Wally World.
I would think 130 lumens would be plenty, if not overkill. Make sure to not look at anyone in the face with that.
I ride both road and MTB at night with 150 lumens. While not ideal, it is sufficient.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Black Diamond Revolt, which is 130 lumens, and it is bright enough for my dimly lit suburbs. That sprinter looks nice. Mine is a bit heavier and slips sometimes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Black Diamond Spot, 130 lumens max but it turns on at around 100 to save battery. I've never had a problem with brightness including on trails with zero other lighting so it's bright enough for me. One thing that is annoying is the headlamp projects a yellow spot right in the center, from what I've read others have had the same issue but some don't so it might just be the 2014 model that had this...
Quote Reply
Re: It's headlamp running season [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
I have the Black Diamond Revolt, which is 130 lumens, and it is bright enough for my dimly lit suburbs. That sprinter looks nice. Mine is a bit heavier and slips sometimes.

I second the revolt. Starting my second winter with it. I have found it definitely bright enough. Plus the recharging via USB is nice and convenient.
Yes, A little heavy, but I usually wear it with a ball cap so the bill of my hat holds it nice and steady.

Jeff Abbott - @run1fast
jabbott@headsweats.com
Headsweats - Custom Team singlets $8 / Cycling Jerseys $25
Abbott Event Solutions - Brand Rep and Event Manager
Quote Reply
Re: It's headlamp running season [iswimslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iswimslow wrote:
I have a Black Diamond Spot, 130 lumens max but it turns on at around 100 to save battery. I've never had a problem with brightness including on trails with zero other lighting so it's bright enough for me. One thing that is annoying is the headlamp projects a yellow spot right in the center, from what I've read others have had the same issue but some don't so it might just be the 2014 model that had this...

I have a spot of love it. Use it regularly year round. I had a revolt but sent it back as the spot outperformed it, imo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm debating getting a headlamp or the Nathan Running Zephyr flashlight http://www.nathansports.com/...-fire-300-hand-torch

Anyone used this?

Also, Nathan has headlamps coming out soon http://www.nathansports.com/...ty/runners-headlamps

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Nov 19, 15 9:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Black Diamond Icon. This is heavier than the Revolt because it has 3 AA batteries in a carrier behind the head. I like the extra light, particularly for trails and snow/ice. If you are in a warmer climate and only running on good surfaces, the Revolt is likely enough light.

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anh1491 wrote:
Looking to buy a new headlamp for safer running in the dark. I'd love to hear suggestions of what model you all recommend!

I want something that will provide plenty of light to see ahead of me - the one I have now is far too weak. I live in the 'burbs so the streets themselves are not very well lit. How many lumens do you think is enough? I've looked at the Black Diamond Sprinter - which says it's 130 lumens, but I'm not sure if that would provide enough brightness.

Thanks!
We have three Sprinters in our household. Great lights, and I like the blinky taillight feature as an extra safety item. I've used mine for night trail runs and races and it puts out more than enough light.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: It's headlamp running season [Paul Dunn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just recently bought and started using this:

http://www.fenix-store.com/...WDnckCFYkBaQod6AcJUQ

I like the red light option, it gives a more subtle light for you and is plenty visible to others. It's probably heavier than most with 4 AA's but I don't really notice it, I think the center headstrap helps to displace the weight some.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am also putting Knucklelights on my holiday wishlist. I know a couple people who prefer those over headlamps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought the BD Sprinter and I love it. It's cold in NE now too so I usually wear a skull cap under it and don't notice it at all. I live in the burbs and run off road in the evening - nothing but the stars. It's plenty bright for double track, you do lose some depth perception for real trail running. I like the rechargeable battery; I just plug it in every few runs.
Quote Reply
Re: It's headlamp running season [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
I am also putting Knucklelights on my holiday wishlist. I know a couple people who prefer those over headlamps.

DH has knuckle lights and loves them - but beware, they do not do well in extremely cold temps - 20 and below.

I use the Icon - and FWIW it's 4 AA batteries, not 3. Still it's not that heavy (weight well distributed) and worth it for 200 lumens.
Quote Reply
Re: It's headlamp running season [RokeSmoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RokeSmoke wrote:

http://www.fenix-store.com/...WDnckCFYkBaQod6AcJUQ

I like the red light option, it gives a more subtle light for you and is plenty visible to others

ooooh, that is nice! Not sure what I'm using at the moment but the red led on it isn't really useful this time of year. thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have this one http://www.amazon.com/...ds=running+head+lamp. I didn't want to spend too much money because I don't need it to light up the road too much ahead of me. More need a few feet and also be visible to others. It has been good running on the lakefront path with little light in Chicago and running through areas without streetlights. Do I need more light? I do at times but I think for $15 it is well worth it.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another Black Diamond Spot owner who would recommend it.
Quote Reply
Re: It's headlamp running season [MtnBikerChk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regarding lumen ratings...don't put too much stock in those. The various companies do not rate their lights the same, so a 100 lumen light from company A may be brighter than a 150 from company B. Most are internally consistent though, so that is a help.

MtnBikerChk wrote:
happyscientist wrote:

DH has knuckle lights and loves them - but beware, they do not do well in extremely cold temps - 20 and below.

I use the Icon - and FWIW it's 4 AA batteries, not 3. Still it's not that heavy (weight well distributed) and worth it for 200 lumens.

Knuckle lights are quite awesome. I did have some issues last winter, perhaps due to the temps. One would not turn off and required a battery pull to kill it. Not a big deal and they have proven reliable otherwise. I was quite concerned that it was a sign of imminent failure...but nope.

They are not as bright as the strong headlamps, but you can aim them so precisely, that its a non-issue. I have no problems running known, unlit trails with a single light. On unknown (or more technical) stuff, two is good. Its a little scary losing footing and your arm swings out to counterbalance...then your light source is pointing up in the trees!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used decathlon's chest rig this fall. I feel a bit like Ironman, but I like it way better than a headlamp or something that I have to hand carry.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/run-light-id_8283426.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sprinter is great and plenty of light for me for either trails or roads in the wee hours of the winter.

Quote | Reply
You can get by on very dim low lumen headlamps, but if you're going to be doing dark running regularly, it's probably worth taking a look at higher lumen lights to see if it improves the experience.

I ran for 2 years with the early models of the Petzl headlamps because they were the only thing out there. About 30-50 lumens, and while it worked, it was far from pleasurable. IN fact, I'd say it was pretty miserable in the dark, especially if a car came by and washed out your night vision.

I upgraded later to a Fenix torch headlamp which put out a very useful 180ish lumens on 2 x AA batteries. This was by far my favorite setup for awhile - it made running in the dark 'almost' as ok as running during the day.

As the LEDs got better and better, I acquired a bike headlamp that puts out at least 500 legit lumens, and found it had a headstrap setup. The caveat on this one is that the battery is big - you cannot just clip it to your belt - I have to carry it in a Camelbak if I want to use it. But wow - with this bad boy, running in the dark in the wee hours is better than running during daytime, as you have none of the cons of darkness and all the pluses of no traffic to deal with. I do turn down the lumens to low settings if I'm on a trail with other people because it's that blinding on full power. But it really is that good - there's no 'spooky' feeling of running at night just because of the dark anymore - it's literally as bright as a car hibeam headlight so you can see plenty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anh1491 wrote:
I've looked at the Black Diamond Sprinter - which says it's 130 lumens, but I'm not sure if that would provide enough brightness.

Wow, the sprinter is up to 130 lumens. I've got the older model that is 70 lumens (I believe) and it's plenty for me. It works great on a pitch dark gravel trail I run on as well as urban streets. I really like the red blinky light on the back for urban environments.

The rechargeable battery is a great feature, making it easy to keep the batteries fully charged without pulling them out. A fully charged battery makes for a much brighter light, so ease of charging is really important in anything you buy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a small Petzl, I am not sure of the model but I got tired of cars not seeing me. I was about to buy the Petzl Nao since it was about the brightest rechargeable headlamp they make but its a little pricey.
I started looking on Amazon and bought a 1000 lumen rechargeable headlamp for about $28. I have only been using it for 3 weeks, about 4 runs per week with it. Its holding up very well and is really nice and bright, like daylight bright.
The cars are much more friendly now!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just purchased this model. It is quite light, comfy, and bright.

http://www.amazon.com/...g+head+lamp+foxnelli
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to go first class, take a look at a Zebralight H52w.

You can use it with a single rechargeable AA lithium cell.

I bought one 8 months ago and for the first time in my life, I am no longer looking for a better headlight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get one of these off ebay: http://www.ebay.com/...&talgo=undefined

Cheap, powerful, enough juice for long runs. Great for streets and trails too.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: Nov 19, 15 23:58
Quote Reply

Prev Next