Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Its been a while since we compared wheels
Quote | Reply
I must say, with all the Floyd threads we haven't done a which wheel thread in a while. So shall we. Currently I run a set of 650c, 303s. I don't want a completely new set of wheels. I'm a light rider. I have, however, debated another option for a rear wheel. A cover for the 303, Hed 3, Disc or Jet Deep or even Corima 4 spoke or something like that?

I currently race sprints with bike legs say 18-25 miles and Olympic, maybe HIM and IM in the future. Definately Powermans in the next two years. Zipp 303s however aren't in a lot of aero tests so this isn't the easiest thing to figure out, especially in the rear.

So any educated guesses at the difference in Zipp 303 and Hed 3, Disc Cover and Disc?????? I'm guessing .75 to 1.25 seconds per mile maybe? If you can quote sources I'll appreciate it, if you can quote cheap prices for my options... better.

Thanks
Last edited by: Runless: Jul 21, 06 20:09
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Its been a while since we compared wheels [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me clarify, I've seen sprints around 12-17 miles. And I've seen sprints in the 18-25 range for the bike leg. I'm the latter. That was really unclear
Last edited by: Runless: Jul 21, 06 20:10
Quote Reply
Re: Its been a while since we compared wheels [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll cause an argument with this...

The Zipp 303 doesn't feature often in wheel tests as it's not considered an aero wheel by some. More common to test 404, and similarly sectioned wheels.

A cover is as good as a disc, according to other threads on ST.

Personally I'd pick an Hed3 front over a deep section, and run a disc on the back.

My opinions are not based on any scientific reasoning.

"Here's how you run a marathon. Step 1: You start running. Step 2: There is no step 2." - Barney (How I Met Your Mother)
Quote Reply
Re: Its been a while since we compared wheels [neil_laing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I believe it is as aero as a lot of the 45mm V shaped rims. Good enough and I doubt I could handle a Hed 3 up front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go for that then. Get a cover and use the front 303. You can always change the front later.

A shallow front rim hasn't stopped the T-Mobile guys. They run a Shimano one.

"Here's how you run a marathon. Step 1: You start running. Step 2: There is no step 2." - Barney (How I Met Your Mother)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife runs 650c Hed 3s and is under 120 lbs. She has no problems with handling even in gusty crosswinds, so I can't imagine why you think you wouldn't be able to handle riding a Hed 3 front.
Quote Reply