Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is this a balanced strength workout? Also, swimming strength?
Quote | Reply
Been reading around a bit and I decided to pick up some weights. This is a general strength session with no specific muscle group. It's an overall full-body to mimic tri muscle groups... 2-3x a week, 20-45 minutes depending on time availability. I'm not planning on a heated discussion about whether strength is worth it or not, but just "Is this balanced, and if not what can I introduce to balance it?"

Squat; lat pulldown
Calf raise; tricep pulldown
Lat raise; bicep curls (for vain reasons)
Romanian deadlift; 10 weighted lunges p/ leg

I circuit the pairs together with like 15-30 seconds rest, then move to the next pair w/ a longer break between each.

Also, what are some good exercises to help swimming muscles? I read the other thread that got recently posted. My technique is pretty good with some minor tweaks but I have a slow stroke rate. I would like to try and get some more power behind my stroke (high school swimming days have long faded). I have core routines, since that's obviously absent here
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a balanced strength workout? Also, swimming strength? [Stewed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd nix the single muscle stuff like calf raise, tricep, and bicep stuff (but I've never really worried about developing the "sexy muscles.").

I'd add in a row type excercise. The lat pull down is good but your back muscles should be able to pull down as well as pull your arms back. Maybe throw in another leg excecise that works side to side movement like a messier or side lunge.

I wouldn't recommend doing the same excercises 2-3x a week for X weeks. I typically follow a formula for weights (similar to what is described in the Triathlete Training Bible) that varies from workout to workout. That way I may be working the same muscles but in a slightly different exercise every time.

I know there are specific books about weight training and triathlon training. Maybe look into those a bit if you want a more structured plan.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a balanced strength workout? Also, swimming strength? [Stewed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First off I am no expert but the thing I've learned with strength training for triathlon is there are two key phases you need to focus on:

1. Power
2. Speed

1. Power - https://drive.google.com/...bVk/view?usp=sharing

Once you realize this you can then begin to tailor your workouts accordingly. Focus firstly on the Power phase. Setup a good 6-8 week plan working on low reps but high weight. Don't go too heavy so that you bulk up (unless you've got some extra body fat to shed) so set a weight ceiling for yourself. For me I didn't go above 50lbs when doing free weights. If you're going 2-3x a week you should see some good results quickly but 4x is optimal. The big thing is not to slack off in between sets, keep the HR up. Ideally you want to fail between 6-8 reps here.

2. Speed - TBD

After you've gotten the power in place then move onto to speed portion (which will help with your turn over rate). For this I tend to stick to resistance bands and plyometric as it's your body ultimately you'll be working against in any given discipline of triathlon. The focus is explosive exercises like box jumps, burpees, mountain climbers, and then some of the same routine as before but dropping weight and increasing a. # of reps b. speed of each rep. I've been putting this together but it's off in the distance for me so no real plan in place yet sorry.

Hope this helps a bit and as I said I'm not expert but I did run all this by a registered personal trainer and he gave his thumbs up.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For swimming I made wonderful gains w/ medicine ball workouts. Lie on your back w/ a ball (or dumbbell) overhead stretched out and do a full 180 degree semi circle. Don't land too hard below the belt.

Another shoulder stability is stand back to a wall, hold a ball in front of you straight out and rotate to the left (left arm down, right arm up) and right (right arm down) keeping head forward. Just rotate shoulders. make it harder and stand further away from wall

Last edited by: odpaul7: Oct 31, 14 12:58
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a balanced strength workout? Also, swimming strength? [odpaul7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fast responses! Thanks all, I appreciate the feedback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swap the lat pulldowns for pull ups (close grip, hands slightly wider than shoulder width). I've found they help my pull in the water more than lat pulldowns ever did.

I completely stopped deadlifting. I found that it stressed my body too much and I had a hard time recovering to do anything else in the following days. Squats, properly done, will benefit for the same muscles that deadlifting would.
Quote Reply