Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is Lance Coming Clean?
Quote | Reply
Not sure if you all have seen it, but there's a new interview on CNN with Lance where he talks about his "ownership" of the whole doping thing - how he isn't going to blame anyone else for making him dope, etc. He "seems" contrite and genuine, but personally I take it all with a grain of salt. (Applying the whole "fool me once" mentality).

Reactions?

Joel | My Blog | Team Rev3 Tri | Twitter @TriMadness
Quote Reply
Re: Is Lance Coming Clean? [Joel0135] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's genuinely contrite and genuinely doesn't want to pay $100million back to the Federal Government.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reactions?

All of these threads go the same way so why start one?

Quote Reply
Re: Is Lance Coming Clean? [Jordan45] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordan45 wrote:
He's genuinely contrite and genuinely doesn't want to pay $100million back to the Federal Government.

I have a problem with him having to pay this back...did the Federal govt benefit from having him as a spokesman? He probably doesn't have the money.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Lance Coming Clean? [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueraider_mike wrote:
Jordan45 wrote:

I have a problem with him having to pay this back...did the Federal govt benefit from having him as a spokesman? He probably doesn't have the money.

Is Hamilton still in line to get a chunk of the money? If so, I have a serious problem with him having to pay this back too. Couldn't really care less what happens to Lance - even if he lost this and was bankrupted, he still has enough earning potential to live out a pretty comfortable life, and having it all taken away from him and having to start again might even do him some good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan45 wrote:

Why should he have to pay anything back?

YOu can't tell me his sponsors didn't know he was doping, they all benefited HUGELY from LA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
unless Lance is ready to talk Trek, Oakley, Nike, Och, Carmichael, Weisel, USAC, USATF, UCI, etc., then no, he's not coming clean.

Doping has nothing to do with it, red herring.

Joel0135 wrote:
Not sure if you all have seen it, but there's a new interview on CNN with Lance where he talks about his "ownership" of the whole doping thing - how he isn't going to blame anyone else for making him dope, etc. He "seems" contrite and genuine, but personally I take it all with a grain of salt. (Applying the whole "fool me once" mentality).

Reactions?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Is Lance Coming Clean? [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's like a great summer movie. Grab popcorn, sit back and get entertained for the day. :-)

Joel | My Blog | Team Rev3 Tri | Twitter @TriMadness
Quote Reply
Re: Is Lance Coming Clean? [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree 100% with eric. unless he's naming names from top/down and left-to-right he only playing the media card to his benefit as he's always done.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Is Lance Coming Clean? [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
I agree 100% with eric. unless he's naming names from top/down and left-to-right he only playing the media card to his benefit as he's always done.

we already know all of those names, who cares?

he came clean on oprah, the whole story is out via other sources, everyone is an asshole. the old lance fans now post nothing except angry bullshit and can't even be bothered to admit how stupid they were.

such is life

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
Reactions?

I was wondering if we can merge this thread, and the one about the guy who got DQ'd for crossing the IM finish line with family. The responses should all be interchangeable anyway!
Quote Reply
Re: Is Lance Coming Clean? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think there's a benefit to this or, if not to this, take-3, or take-4, of the lance confession (this one is take-2, after oprah). at some point i think lance will stop using the zeitgeist defense and admit that cheating is wrong period. i think it's important because there are still so many who join in with him in the zeitgeist defense. when the leader of that movement disavows that defense, then i think we'll take another step forward.

whether or not we're going to see a full-throated admission that all cheating is always wrong in this interview i can't say.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Is Lance Coming Clean? [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:
Jordan45 wrote:

You can't tell me his sponsors didn't know he was doping, they all benefited HUGELY from LA

He provided them with a marketing tool at the time he was paid for that service. If Lance has to repay his sponsors, then the sponsors need to issue a refund to their customers for false advertising. There would need ot be some pretty clear contract language, and even then there arguments that there was a culture of cheating in the sport long before he got there... he just became the best at it.

Not really defending him, but it sets a dangerous precedent in the legal world if he's forced to repay I think. Think about consumer products. So if I buy a product and the celebrity that endorses if turns out to be a fraud, can I get a refund, even if the product itself performs as advertised?

I bought my Trek SC7.5 before the LA scandal came out. I want some money back!!!!

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan45 wrote:

bingo

only a moron would believe Armstrong didn't have an self-serving angle to anything he does
Quote Reply
Re: Is Lance Coming Clean? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
TylerJ wrote:
Jordan45 wrote:

You can't tell me his sponsors didn't know he was doping, they all benefited HUGELY from LA

He provided them with a marketing tool at the time he was paid for that service. If Lance has to repay his sponsors, then the sponsors need to issue a refund to their customers for false advertising. There would need ot be some pretty clear contract language, and even then there arguments that there was a culture of cheating in the sport long before he got there... he just became the best at it.

Not really defending him, but it sets a dangerous precedent in the legal world if he's forced to repay I think. Think about consumer products. So if I buy a product and the celebrity that endorses if turns out to be a fraud, can I get a refund, even if the product itself performs as advertised?

I bought my Trek SC7.5 before the LA scandal came out. I want some money back!!!!

The lawsuit isn't about all his sponsors, just USPS. So what trek may or may not have gained from the relationship is immaterial to this discussion.

Further, whether or not USPS benefited during the relationship is also not the point. The point is that Tailwind / Weisel / LA / et al fraudulently presented their services. They claimed they were clean and signed documents to that effect. If you fraudulently enter into a contract, you can expect to be sued as a result.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Is Lance Coming Clean? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every time you see an old USPS jersey, you think of the Armstrong Lie. You don't think that hurts the USPS brand? 100 million seems a fair price for damages.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Lance Coming Clean? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i think there's a benefit to this or, if not to this, take-3, or take-4, of the lance confession (this one is take-2, after oprah). at some point i think lance will stop using the zeitgeist defense and admit that cheating is wrong period. i think it's important because there are still so many who join in with him in the zeitgeist defense. when the leader of that movement disavows that defense, then i think we'll take another step forward.

whether or not we're going to see a full-throated admission that all cheating is always wrong in this interview i can't say.

I would love to do a mind meld on folks like this and try to understand why not just being 100% honest does not seem to happen. I am not judging if what he and ALL the others did is right or wrong. BUT, why does he seem to be willing to go down by himself on the ship? Why not just put it all on the table? Seems his "friends" have stabbed him in the back already.

So, any idea why he keeps holding back?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan45 wrote:
Every time you see an old USPS jersey, you think of the Armstrong Lie. You don't think that hurts the USPS brand? 100 million seems a fair price for damages.

I for one haven't even checked my mail since his confession.....
Quote Reply
Re: Is Lance Coming Clean? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

At what take (3,4, 9...) will he admit doping in 2009 ?
And since he claims the peloton was clean then he cannot use that Zeitgeist defense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan45 wrote:

I don't think of him, certainly not in relation to USPS, and if I see a USPS jersey I still don't think of him.

Heck I just dropped off some parts that came on my circa 2003 Trek off at the post office..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Agreed - they tend to go sideways and over the cliff quickly.

Not defending LA, but just making an interesting observation regarding the coverage of the Tour de France. Almost every media outlet covering the race seemed to have eliminated Armstrong's name and image from their coverage. With the main TV coverage - I watched almost every stage, and I did not hear Phil or Paul mention his name ounce! There were no pictures of video of Armstrong in any historical montages of the past. None! It's like a whole decade of Tour de France racing was just forgotten.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Is Lance Coming Clean? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
understand why not just being 100% honest does not seem to happen

100% honesty is that doping was in fact rampant among their competitors.
The dope works. To play the game... they needed to play the game. If you don't cheat you go home... or become a 2nd class domestique.
Since you are cheating anyway, you might as well do it better than the other cheaters.

If you are wondering why he doesn't rat out everyone he knows... well, why would he? How does that help him at all? Did he get a plea bargain offer whereby his slate would be wiped clean if he did?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan45 wrote:

yeah, that's a solid chunk of change even for folks like Lance ....

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Is Lance Coming Clean? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
understand why not just being 100% honest does not seem to happen

100% honesty is that doping was in fact rampant among their competitors.
The dope works. To play the game... they needed to play the game. If you don't cheat you go home... or become a 2nd class domestique.
Since you are cheating anyway, you might as well do it better than the other cheaters.

If you are wondering why he doesn't rat out everyone he knows... well, why would he? How does that help him at all? Did he get a plea bargain offer whereby his slate would be wiped clean if he did?

Fair question. I agree, unless he gets something back, but, for me, would just seem to eat at my gut. And how he looks at his kids with a straight face, well,..

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Is Lance Coming Clean? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<< If Lance has to repay his sponsors, then the sponsors need to issue a refund to their customers for false advertising. >>>

Great idea - USPS can give us all a rebate for all of the overpriced stamps and service they screw us for.....

don't just do something..... sit there
Quote Reply

Prev Next