Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is GTA partly to blame for motorists hitting bikes?
Quote | Reply
I think I may have posed this one before, not sure. Just wondering if games like Grand Theft Auto promote the culture of motorists who think they should give a cyclist a "tap" with their vehicle? I can only imagine their disappointment when they don't see points flash up on the windscreen.
Quote Reply
Re: Is GTA partly to blame for motorists hitting bikes? [sharkbait_au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Short answer: No.

Long answer: google Jack Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: Is GTA partly to blame for motorists hitting bikes? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That guy is a piece of work to say the least
To the OP, if behavior was predicted or influenced by GTA, in my early 20s I would have stolen many 911s, robbed south beach strip clubs, crushed police cruisers with tanks and slapped down prostituites to get my money back. To my knowledge none of those things happened outside of my tv screen.
Quote Reply
Re: Is GTA partly to blame for motorists hitting bikes? [sharkbait_au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who the hell only 'taps' a cyclist in GTA!? Crush em or leave em alone, seriously.

And, I don't think the group of people that are the ones hitting cyclists purposely are the same ones playing GTA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 out of 10.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I regularly hit cyclists with my stolen car.....that is when I'm not shooting down police choppers with a rocket launcher and assaulting prostitutes with a baseball bat.

Many of my peers grew up watching Road Runner, yet surprisingly no one was ever found at the bottom of a cliff with a tiny umbrella and a sign that read "Yikes!"

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think so.

Has there been an increase of killing ho's since GTA?

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's see, the first GTA game to reach the mainstream would be Vice city in 2002, with popularity rising from there.

From the period 2002 to 2012, the amount of miles travels by bike also trended upwards, and along with that we have the following trends in fatalities in the usa:

https://docs.google.com/...Ju0/edit?usp=sharing

No trend at all.

I think your theory does not hold water.

sharkbait_au wrote:
I think I may have posed this one before, not sure. Just wondering if games like Grand Theft Auto promote the culture of motorists who think they should give a cyclist a "tap" with their vehicle? I can only imagine their disappointment when they don't see points flash up on the windscreen.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, but it is in part responsible for fat sweaty spotty retards masturbating in their bedrooms... in their mothers house in their 30's........
Along with most other computer games.. ;)

In breeding, ignorance and an entitlest mentality has more to do with people hitting cyclists in their vehicles..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably desensitizes them to caring about hitting cyclists, yes. It's a societal thing too, in a hurry, don't care about anything but themselves etc. They get pissed if it takes 10 seconds extra to go somewhere. They don't care until they kill someone, and then it's questionable.

Just ask Tony Stewart, he knows all about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would hope not.

My sense is that the "incidents" with cyclists and motorists from the most benign to the very serious, are the result mostly of, motorists extraordinary sense of entitlement, a very poor understanding of the laws of physics, driver ignorance and a grossly inflated sense of driving skill level.

How else to explain a motorist trying to squeeze through the gap at 40km/h ( the speed limit) between the center line and me over towards the side of the lane, with the mirrors nearly touching my elbow, just to get to the stop light 200m down the road ahead of me. There is NO room for error here. One false move on my part or the motorists and . . . I try NOT to think about it. But the problem, is many motorist seem to have no idea of the risk, and that getting to the stop light 3 sec sooner is more important than my safety or worse.

We are about to have a 1m passing law passed here in Ontario. However, after a recent interaction with a motorist, I'm not optimistic that it will do much. I did have a close brush. At the light ahead I pulled up beside the window that was rolled down. I said "That was pretty close". The motorist did apologize. Then I explained in the briefest terms the 1m no pass law. Without missing a beat, the driver said, "you'll just have to find wider roads to ride on", and sped off! In that short sentence he nicely summed up the entitlement, the selfishness and the ignorance. It's going to be a long road to respect!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GTA ? Yeah Toronto drivers are all like Rob Ford.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Is GTA partly to blame for motorists hitting bikes? [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be a little more descriptive. Obviously accidents aren't include, so that would probably account for stat's not showing increase, because most statistics are probably accidents...no? It's not so much that I think it causes people to go out and do it, more that for those already dealing with anger issues does it add impetus, or rather partially remove a mental barrier. For those naysayers who have replied, I doubt most of you qualify, because you all sound like reasonably rational people, and I'm hoping you're not the types who think scaring or attacking a cyclist with your car is a good idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping you're not the types who think scaring or attacking a cyclist with your car is a good idea

I am guessing that thses sorts of folks are in the extreme minority.

Of greater concern and in much much higher numbers are the seemingly smart, intelligent and rational folk, who get behind the wheel of a vehicle and somehow lose their minds - in particular when the encounter a cyclist. Who passes way over a double yellow line or tries to squeeze by, around a blind curve, on a road moderately busy with traffic, seriously risking, the safety of everyone near them on the road . . themselves included?

Quote Reply
Re: Is GTA partly to blame for motorists hitting bikes? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Yes, I regularly hit cyclists with my stolen car.....that is when I'm not shooting down police choppers with a rocket launcher and assaulting prostitutes with a baseball bat.

Many of my peers grew up watching Road Runner, yet surprisingly no one was ever found at the bottom of a cliff with a tiny umbrella and a sign that read "Yikes!"

You win the thread. My semi serious answer is now moot. Congrats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good news is this specific brand of reactionary thinking has a finite shelf life.

I grew up playing all kinds of 'violent video games' including just about every GTA that came out in the mix. I'm knocking on the door of 30 now (GTA first came out 16 years ago) and it's painfully obvious that video games have had no influence on my real world behavior because I'm not mentally ill.

It's a simple as that. Video games don't "make" anyone do anything and don't influence the real world behavior of any sane or rational person. Any person who lacks the ability to distinguish between obvious fiction and reality is the same type of person who would murder a beatle after reading Catcher in the Rye. The only difference is that there are far more people in the world than there used to be and there are bound to be far more total mentally ill people as a result of simple statistics. There is a growing problem and it's called math.
Quote Reply
Re: Is GTA partly to blame for motorists hitting bikes? [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
habbywall wrote:

And, I don't think the group of people that are the ones hitting cyclists purposely are the same ones playing GTA.

Exactly. That group is too busy polishing their over/under, and installing limited slip diffs on their RAM, to play video games.
Quote Reply
Re: Is GTA partly to blame for motorists hitting bikes? [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't meant to imply that they might "make" someone do it, rather that it could increase the odd's of it escalating to that point in the moment. Isn't saying that there is no influence on real world behavior tantamount to saying that advertising doesn't work?
Quote Reply
Re: Is GTA partly to blame for motorists hitting bikes? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
....Of greater concern and in much much higher numbers are the seemingly smart, intelligent and rational folk, who get behind the wheel of a vehicle and somehow lose their minds - in particular when the encounter a cyclist.....
Exactly, and it is in this moment, when normal behavior is not operational, that I suspect there might be an increased risk of performing a recollected action.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've probably killed a million people through the years playing first person shooter on the internet starting with Quake II and going all the way up to the most recent Call of Duty and Titanfall games.

I've yet to shoot someone in real life. Not seeing the correlation.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Is GTA partly to blame for motorists hitting bikes? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Statistically, there's more cars, more cyclists, people are living farther from work and commuting longer distances (driving more). Peple work longer hours, have more commitments & obligations are are more "rushed" in their lives. Add to that more distracted driving, and you have more cyclists being hit.

I personally prefer to just blame the current ruling federal administration for everything.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it would increase the odds as you say. Sane people are able to separate the fiction of that absurd situation in the game to real life. I actually think what adds to that is how far removed from reality those games are. As was said before if someone cannot separate the two it's a mental health issue that would be present either way. The game just gives them an outlet to express that. Keep in mind that in open world type games like GTA it is entirely up to the player how they will spend their time. Nothing is stopping you from ignoring the violent missions and spending your time driving legally, playing tennis, shopping for clothes, etc.

P.S. the most recent GTA actually has a triathlon mini game, and you can buy some pretty flash road bikes so one could argue it's actually exposing an entirely new audience to the sport :p
Quote Reply
Re: Is GTA partly to blame for motorists hitting bikes? [FishOutofWater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At home for the summer and noticed my younger brother doing a triathlon on GTA. It's not quite the real thing but it was a proud moment. On that note going to go play it for the first time now!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you shittin' me? C'mon dude, smarten up. ST is a magnet for ridiculous and inane posts as we all know, but this one takes the cake.
Quote Reply

Prev Next