Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman pacing advice
Quote | Reply
Question for all you power gurus: What percent of Half Ironman watts should one be at for a full IM.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman pacing advice [therascal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Question for all you power gurus: What percent of Half Ironman watts should one be at for a full IM.

IMHO half ironman wattage is not a good indicator for a full IM.

My former trainer recommended (and I still use the formula, although I have a powermeter right now):

Sprint: It should hurt like hell and burn like fire
OD: constant burn, slight pain
HIM: slight Burn, no pain
IM: just no burn, if you increased effort a little, it starts to burn and stops immidiately once you reduce the effort. This for me comes down to about 2,5 mmol lactate

It is important to avoid long periods close to threshold (like in the first hour of the race), for me 5 minutes at threshold (eg. for a climb) are ok, if I can recover afterwards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my view you want to hit about 75-77% of your Functional Threshold Power or Lactate threshold Power. this would be the power of an all-out 1 hour TT. Or, the power you hit in an all-out 20 min TT x .95. My threshold is 293 watts so I target about 225. I did 238 watts at my last HIM....

rc

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
.68 - .72 IF (.75 would be agressive imo)
It's all about running well off the bike. I have seen lots of 5 hour bike splits and 5 hour marathons...

Mike Ricci
2017 USAT World Team Coach
USAT National Coach of the Year
Coaching Triathletes since 1992.
Quote Reply