Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman awards
Quote | Reply
If an athlete is not present at the award ceremony, will Ironman mail the award?

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman awards [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes but I would email race director......are the awards really even worth it. Only a few races actually give cool awards :-(

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman awards [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
Yes but I would email race director......are the awards really even worth it. Only a few races actually give cool awards :-(

People put a lot of effort in to podium at an IM so I get that they would mean a lot to the athlete. But they obviously don't mean anything to WTC because they are usually the cheapest pieces of carved acrylic you could imagine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:

This was a professionally executed humble brag. 10/10. Take notes people. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman awards [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:

People put a lot of effort in to podium at an IM so I get that they would mean a lot to the athlete. But they obviously don't mean anything to WTC because they are usually the cheapest pieces of carved acrylic you could imagine.

Ok let me try to put some perspective on it.....Timberman gives you these really cool things of "maple syrup" Buffalo Springs you get a "bronze buffalo." I have seen on IG some of the trophies from South America races: they look so cool (have you seen them)!!!! Then you race most race in USA you get this little thing of plastic, think it was upgraded this year to thin metal, but bottom line they don't have much of a cool factor. Hell 1/3 of reason i want to go race Los Cabos this year is trophy is really big and cool looking if i am lucky enough to be in a position to get one!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would guess that what you are describing is the difference between a licensed race (Los Cabos and most outside the US) and the ones put on by WTC directly (cheap azz awards). I've watched them even give crap to the pros. Given how hard an IM is, you would think the awards would reflect it. Your local 5K run probably does better than most US IMs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My remarks where more towards the "cheap azz awards" then anything else. It takes a lot of work and dedication to the sport to earn one of those things and you get this little slice of plastic! I will go back and race Buffalo Springs with the goal of getting a Buffalo, its really the only reason I will go back that race is miserable.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
My remarks where more towards the "cheap azz awards" then anything else. It takes a lot of work and dedication to the sport to earn one of those things and you get this little slice of plastic! I will go back and race Buffalo Springs with the goal of getting a Buffalo, its really the only reason I will go back that race is miserable.

Tend to agree, I did like my Timberman award from last year though.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman awards [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:

Have you opened and tried it yet? I want to race Timberman again so i can try to get a bigger flask of Mapple Syrup!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:

Have you opened and tried it yet? I want to race Timberman again so i can try to get a bigger flask of Mapple Syrup!

I think I left it at my Homestay's. I don't keep my awards usually. I say usually because I just started keeping the local Clermont ones after I tried to give the first one away and I didn't realize that I was making a faux pas because of raging river dividing two parties here.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:

I think I left it at my Homestay's. I don't keep my awards usually. I say usually because I just started keeping the local Clermont ones after I tried to give the first one away and I didn't realize that I was making a faux pas because of raging river dividing two parties here.

Can you explain that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:

Can you explain that?

Normally I am very much an open book, but I would rather not speak publicly at this time because I don't want to pick a side because

1) I am not educated enough, I have heard more from one side of the group then the other and I like to try to get a complete picture.
2) I believe triathlon is great for society, and we need to work on growing the pie for all and society will benefit, as opposed to doing the clique thing.

I am sure you must have caught wind of some of it yourself and probably know as much as me. I just quickly realized why it was such a faux pas when it wasn't received how it would have been expected. Thus I am starting a collection of awards, I am making a M-dot shape out of them all too ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nah, I am pretty dense to office politics and any kind of clique rivalries. Unless it breaks out into open warfare then it just goes over my head. The only business interests that stand out to me over there are Sommer Sports and SLAP Tri. Room enough for everbody in my opinion.
Quote Reply