Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman South Africa 2015
Quote | Reply
Hello

Thinking about to do Ironman South Africa in March 2015.

I was just wondering, if there is anyone who did this race earlier this year and can give me some feedback with regard to

- course
- organization
- atmosphere
- eventually things which needs to be considered in particular
- general impression of the race

As a "newbie" I highly appreciate every single hint...

Thank you in advance and happy training!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman South Africa 2015 [ch74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ch74: The course is good. Not too hilly, not too flat. Lots of variation. Riding in a city, along neighborhoods, in the country, along the coast line. Stellar views along the way. The multiple loop bike & run courses were great for spectators. Well organized. Atmosphere is good. PE is a good setting. If not from South African, take in a photo safari about 90 minutes away. Complete with a South African barbecue or "braai", one of the country's greatest outdoor eating pleasures. We did this the day after the race. Really awesome. Go to Cape Town too. Probably the prettiest city in the world (except Seattle when the sun is out). Either fly or drive the garden parkway between PE and Cape Town. It took us three plane rides and 24 hours to get to PE. Bike showed up two days later after being told it was on the next flight for eight flights in a row. I was able to rent a bike to race. Had to buy pedals and new shoes. Still raced. Put on bucket list to do before leaving your shoes behind and walking away from racing. Doug
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, try this link

http://www.thehubsa.co.za/forum/topic/126068-ironman-2014-10-years-of-ironman-in-pe/

103 pages so I havent read through it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the race the first year it was in Port Elizabeth when it was a 1/2 (2004) so my info is a bit dated. But it was a really great trip. Course was very scenic with great ocean views for part of the bike. Food and wine in South Africa were fantastic. There is the Addo Elephant Park fairly close by that you can take a day trip to - when we were there we even saw lions. Then a bit farther, you can go to a private game reserve for a few days which is terrific. We drove the Garden Route from PE to Cape Town after the race making some stops along the way - long drive but very scenic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did it last year and I thought it had the best crowd support on the run in all the races that I have done
They have changed the bike course this year, its much more hilly than in the past, so if that is what you like, you are in luck
PE and South Africa in general is a great place to visit! Hoping to retire there some day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do a search for robgrays IMZA report. He covers a lot of details.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm from SA and have done the race twice (2013 & this year) , so I'm a little biased ... ;)

It really is a brilliantly organised race - remember someone on here (think it was Rob Gray, but not sure) said it was the best organised IM he's ever been to, second only to Kona...

The new bike course is tougher but much better IMO. Expect some wind which makes the bike tough. There are spectacular coastal views on the bike course and a nice, flat three loop run course through PE with incredible local support. Thousands of locals and supporters come out to watch and cheer on the athletes on the run (and spend the afternoon boozing it up) which makes for a real party atmosphere.

Do it - its a great race and SA is a great country to visit, you won't regret it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman South Africa 2015 [djmsbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to be in Capetown for work from March 1-31 and I'm considering trying to work IMSA into the mix. Djmsbr, or anyone else, can you provide more details on renting a bike for the race, where to stay, etc..? Also, any opinion on driving from Capetown vs. flying would be helpful!