Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [RobAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have listed the bike course as "rolling" but that must be a mistake. It is only ~325 m gain over 180 km, that is next to nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
They have listed the bike course as "rolling" but that must be a mistake. It is only ~325 m gain over 180 km, that is next to nothing.

The hardest part of the bike might be the bridge over the canal.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Westerlies can pick up on the entire length of the parkway
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Kona and Nice slots TBD. They said Aug 3 race date is on transition between qual years so your either doing an IM crammed in before this year's world's or you literally have 13-14 months for 2026 world's

I know that Lake Placid 2024 currently has slots for Nice 2024 so they might do it here too, but it would seem odd to me to be giving slots for Nice so close to the actual race. Nice 2025 is on Sept 15th that year, so that only makes 6 weeks. I guess most people could turn around an IM in 6 weeks (the 2nd won't be that great), but it would be much easier just to give out 2026 slots. Plus, if they slowly moved the qualifying dates backwards, they could virtually give out more slots per race per cycle.
Last edited by: timbasile: Apr 16, 24 12:23
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Kona and Nice slots TBD. They said Aug 3 race date is on transition between qual years so your either doing an IM crammed in before this year's world's or you literally have 13-14 months for 2026 world's

I know that Lake Placid 2024 currently has slots for Nice 2024 so they might do it here too, but it would seem odd to me to be giving slots for Nice so close to the actual race. Nice 2025 is on Sept 15th that year, so that only makes 6 weeks. I guess most people could turn around an IM in 6 weeks (the 2nd won't be that great), but it would be much easier just to give out 2026 slots. Plus, if they slowly moved the qualifying dates backwards, they could virtually give out more slots per race per cycle.

Back in the day I got a Kona slot at IMC Penticton on Aug 25 for Oct 6 Kona which I foolishly (or maybe smartly) declined

My guess is it is last qual race for current year if the race sells out but if registrations are slow then they use it as first qual race for 2026 to attract registrations.

Also there is a reception at Lieutenants pump tonight at 5 pm. Dave Fletcher from Ironman asked me to invite anyone who wants to drop in
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:
Westerlies can pick up on the entire length of the parkway

Yeah the way back from Rockcliffe Parkway to Lincoln fields turnaround will be 35 I'm headwind on second loop for sure
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the folks that have been around a little longer - is it typical for registration to open this early for a new Ironman event?

Currently in the 'waiting game' wondering if IMLP is truly being discontinued post 2024, but don't want to miss out on Ottawa as a back-up if registrations fill up quick...

Is there any intel on the timeline for when we might find out that IMLP is truly done?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [Labrador1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Labrador1 wrote:
For the folks that have been around a little longer - is it typical for registration to open this early for a new Ironman event?

Currently in the 'waiting game' wondering if IMLP is truly being discontinued post 2024, but don't want to miss out on Ottawa as a back-up if registrations fill up quick...

Is there any intel on the timeline for when we might find out that IMLP is truly done?

Might be a good use of the flex90. Sign up for Ottawa and transfer to IMLP if you want later on
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. I'll have to revisit the fine print - I had thought the Flex90 options only allowed to move a race to a future-dated race once you pick one and sign up. I might be totally wrong though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you get offered priority registration?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
timbasile wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Back in the day I got a Kona slot at IMC Penticton on Aug 25 for Oct 6 Kona which I foolishly (or maybe smartly) declined

My guess is it is last qual race for current year if the race sells out but if registrations are slow then they use it as first qual race for 2026 to attract registrations

Did they change the cutoff date recently? I seem to remember Ironman Texas saying that they were the only "same year qualifier" in North America, which would seem to suggest that they moved the dividing line to before Lake Placid - but Lake Placid's site is unambiguously showing slots for the 24 WCs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just one update. The southern bike turnaround is QE driveway to Col By going over Bank St. Bridge not Pretoria bridge as I mentioned above.

Answering your question the Kona qual cutoff has been IM Tremblant weekend on third week of Aug in the past and then second week of Sep IM Wisconsin was first race for next year's KQ cycle. With Nice world's earlier that changes the picture
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [Quinny98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious as well. I am affiliated with a triclub and profile filled out online. No email sent snd multiple friends have registered

Edit add: i did not receive pre registration note because I unsubscribed all content from Ironman awhile back.

@rhyspencer
Last edited by: rhys: Apr 16, 24 18:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If Bank is the bridge that we'll be crossing the canal, that might well be the only spot on the course that we'd need the small ring, though you could easily muscle up it since it's short.

Maybe Rockcliffe parkway coming back up might be the other spot, but it's been a while since I've biked up it.
Last edited by: timbasile: Apr 16, 24 16:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
If Bank is the bridge that we'll be crossing the canal, that might well be the only spot on the course that we'd need the small ring, though you could easily muscle up it since it's short.

Maybe Rockcliffe parkway coming back up might be the other spot, but it's been a while since I've biked up it.

Yeah this is largely a big chainring or 1x bike course. What is your estimate on vertical (5x parliament hill , 6xsussex rollers, 5xwestwrn Parkway rollers, 3xbank climbs) . Maybe 600-700m total ?

Run course maybe 150m over two loops (2x Arboretum, 2xParliament hill, 2xBronson overpass)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They're posting it as 323m bike and 253 run, which seems high for the run, but includes hills like Bronson bridge and up the canal locks to Hog's back (or is it on Col By?).
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
What hotels would be best to look at, to be as close as possible to expo/race start etc??
Thx!

Obvious choices are Chateau Laurier and Lord Elgin that are close to the finish. Maybe the Westin too if you're fine with walking through a mall lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also the incline up to the roundabout past Dow's Lake
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
They're posting it as 323m bike and 253 run, which seems high for the run, but includes hills like Bronson bridge and up the canal locks to Hog's back (or is it on Col By?).

The run course goes from T2 perhaps at city hall, perhaps at Confed park up a bit back to Wellington, down to Col By and all the way to Hogs back and then you come back to Bronson Bridge, Cross to Queen E Driveway, and then you run past Dows Lake Pavillion to Arboreturn roundabout back down all the way along Queen E Driveway to Pretoria bridge, across to Col By, North to Wellington, a brief short spurt on Wellington to turn around near T2 and finish line. Then you repeat that again and do loop 2 and at end of loop 2 you run past finish line to Parliament hill and then go all the way past Parliament, all the way downhill to the western parkway and turn around and looks like a giant grind back up to the finish like near T2 and Chateau Laurier area (details not yet established).

If it was me, I would want to get that giant torturous out and back done on Loop 1 and end Loop 2 without having to do two relatively giant grinder hills before the finish line.

Not sure how they got 250m vertical on the run, however, the hills at 40 and 42 km along grind out of around 40m each so maybe that is not that far off (elevation delta between Ottawa river in Ottawa to Parliament hill is 45m). But you do five climbs of that on bike, so that right there is 200m of the bike elevation gain.

CTV was at the press conference and rolled up a story here with various turn by turn details:

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/...0Aug.%203%2C%202025.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
What hotels would be best to look at, to be as close as possible to expo/race start etc??
Thx!

Obvious choices are Chateau Laurier and Lord Elgin that are close to the finish. Maybe the Westin too if you're fine with walking through a mall lol.

Huh? You don't have to walk through a mall to get into the Westin. The conference/event spaces connect to the Rideau Centre, but the hotel itself fronts Colonel By Drive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Back in the day I got a Kona slot at IMC Penticton on Aug 25 for Oct 6 Kona which I foolishly (or maybe smartly) declined.

Yeah, IMMT was usually the week before that (3rd weekend in August) and was qualifier for that year's WC, so I'm assuming that Ottawa on 3 Aug 2025 would qualify for WC that same October 2025. So, Nice for men and Kona for Women.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [MattRnr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just replying to the last post

Has anyone gotten a priority registration yes? I have both AWA and Triclub so I figured I'd get a priority, but some people are reporting that priority spots have already gone out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I received a priority registration e mail hours after the new race announcement-as part of a Tri club benefit.

member CupCake Cartel
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [MattRnr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattRnr wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Back in the day I got a Kona slot at IMC Penticton on Aug 25 for Oct 6 Kona which I foolishly (or maybe smartly) declined.

Yeah, IMMT was usually the week before that (3rd weekend in August) and was qualifier for that year's WC, so I'm assuming that Ottawa on 3 Aug 2025 would qualify for WC that same October 2025. So, Nice for men and Kona for Women.

On the ironman website they are saying the qualifiers from Ottawa go to worlds 2025 now. But at the press conf they said the cut off date for 2025 is still in flux. Honestly I hope it stays a qualifier for current year worlds vs next year worlds because it just makes it easier to qualify for everyone. Travel is more complex, but in my view travel is the easy part to figure out as there are always flights and always accommodations and you can always quit your job if your employer is an asshole and says you can't go to Kona 2.5 months later or nice 6 weeks later. Few ever got to their grave saying they wished they slaved for the corporation more rather than go to worlds (of sorts)
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Apr 17, 24 11:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I received the email

No idea why

Only did 1 IM branded race and that was 10+ years ago
Quote Reply

Prev Next