Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Mont Tremblant DQ Bib 1847
Quote | Reply
I was checking out the live coverage of IMMT this evening, hoping to see a couple friends finish.
Then, there it was...wife and I could not believe it.
Bib #1847, dude crosses the finish line with kids in tow. One in each hand running happily across the finisher line.

To the guy's credit, it appeared that no one else was close and no one was interfered.

Wife and I made a bet...I bet he gets DQ.
Sure enough - DQ.
I don't know the whole story. Maybe he was DQ for some other reason???
Faves First Name Last Name Rank Swim Bike Run Finish

DQ
01:08:15
05:21:45

11:03:03
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Mont Tremblant DQ Bib 1847 [mcknight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not surprised at all. WTC makes it pretty clear in meetings, athlete guides, etc. it's an instant DQ for running across the line with non-racers.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as he didn't ruin anyones finishing pic or get in the way of a finish sprint no biggie. He obviously weighed the pros and cons of this and the DQ means little to him. He finished the race and knows his time and that's good enough for him. And now has a great pic with the kids for the families 'what we did on our summer holidays' photo album

Next 'crisis'?

Last edited by: shady: Aug 17, 14 18:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In before we have 14 pages debating the rule.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too bad so sad. It's in the athlete guide, the athlete meetings...

"To the guy's credit, it appeared that no one else was close and no one was interfered." But where do you draw that line? And with 2500+ it's easier to say no to everyone. I know Rev3 allows it but they have much smaller fields.

That said either the dude knew the rules and broke it not caring, putting a higher value on crossing the line with his kids or he's a moron :) You never know, he could be a multi-IM finisher and just said screw it!

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Last edited by: rbuike: Aug 17, 14 18:23
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Mont Tremblant DQ Bib 1847 [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right which is totally his prerogative.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Mont Tremblant DQ Bib 1847 [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No debate. Fair rule... Finish lines were becoming a gong show pre-dq rule. If a guy still wants to do it he can take the dq. I'd give it some thought (after first checking over my shoulder for the all clear of course:) Only difference is my 5 and 7 year olds are runners and they would want to beat the old man over the line :)...so there'd be no hand holding ..lol

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Mont Tremblant DQ Bib 1847 [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Clear rule for DQ

This guy appears to be a multi- IM finisher (quick search on Athlinks) and just said screw it, I'll do it my way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But did he get the hat and medal? I bet he did and the DQ doesn't mean diddly squat.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by shady [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A similar thing happened at a race earlier this year with my GF she lost her AG by 10 seconds at a half, the lady in front was going a bit slower with 2 kids.

At the end of the day who cares? Without the two kids she would have been 20-30 seconds ahead, so it was the same result either way.

DQ not surprising though, WTC has had that rule for several years IIRC.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
more than likely it's exactly as you lay out here. pretty cool the athlete still has their name/splits in results before they clean it all up too. any family pets involved in this one?

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Mont Tremblant DQ Bib 1847 [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
But did he get the hat and medal? I bet he did and the DQ doesn't mean diddly squat.

More importantly, can he still get an Mdot tat???
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Mont Tremblant DQ Bib 1847 [Twilkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twilkas wrote:
more than likely it's exactly as you lay out here. pretty cool the athlete still has their name/splits in results before they clean it all up too. any family pets involved in this one?

I 'm here spectating. Haven't seen any dogs.. Or pet gorillas yet:)
Only kids so far.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
now... that whole gorilla thing.. it was just a suit right?
enjoy the festivityes!!!

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Mont Tremblant DQ Bib 1847 [Bootlegger Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bootlegger Ben wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

More importantly, can he still get an Mdot tat???

Doubtfull. Most tattoo artists follow an unwritten rule .... MDots only to official finishers.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do people want to run across the finish line with their kids?

My triathlon training blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And the reason you felt the need to out this guy with his bib number was....what, exactly?

Seriously, who cares? The rule is there and not hidden. Either the guy knew and didn't care or he should have.

I give the guy huge props for crossing with his kids, DQ or not.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Mont Tremblant DQ Bib 1847 [tejanatab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tejanatab wrote:

I guess for most folks it would make for a pretty unique family pic.
You have young kids? If not... You probably wouldn't get it( I didn't before they came along) and if you do... What makes for an interesting family pic to you?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was at Timberman, this weekend. They mentioned this rule like they do in every meeting. They said the main reason is......they have no clue what to do with kids if the athlete's blood pressure drops after crossing the finish line and collapses. They know how to give the athlete medical attention, but have no clue how to handle freaked out kids.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shady wrote:
tejanatab wrote:

I guess for most folks it would make for a pretty unique family pic.
You have young kids? If not... You probably wouldn't get it( I didn't before they came along) and if you do... What makes for an interesting family pic to you?

I don't have kids. I never will either (long boring story). Yeh, I guess you're right. Although I vaguely remember some lady running through the finish line with lots of kids that were not her own (I think this was REV 3). Anyhow, I'm always so exhausted after the race, that I'd probably slap my kids away.

My triathlon training blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1510 was DQ'd as well- I had remembered him crossing with an infant earlier on.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Mont Tremblant DQ Bib 1847 [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
A similar thing happened at a race earlier this year with my GF she lost her AG by 10 seconds at a half, the lady in front was going a bit slower with 2 kids.

At the end of the day who cares? Without the two kids she would have been 20-30 seconds ahead, so it was the same result either way.

DQ not surprising though, WTC has had that rule for several years IIRC.

Maurice

This is my thought...being a family man, and totally understanding that a family is a big part, I think it sends the wrong message tot the kids anyway. Kids can cross their own finish lines in their own events and one day if they are so inclined after watching mom's and dad's doing their finishes, the kids can do their own event. Our kids don't write our final exams when we get a master's degree or get up with us a convocation or get awards from our CEOs if/when we get a pat on the back at work. Their time will come in the mean time they can get inspired by parents and have their own achievements. I guess I am a bit of a "tough love guy" on the achievement front when it comes to parenting. In 27 IM's I brought my son across once when it was legal...succumbed to all the momentum around me.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Mont Tremblant DQ Bib 1847 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i saw a guy on the trail today (my 2nd loop) running with a young girl (assuming his daughter) about 11 years old
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the guy/gals who actually are doing this, being DQ'd wont matter. They likely are the bucket list type (or just the fitness type) that are just out there to enjoy it and want to show some small appreciation to their family. When he tells people he did an IM, no one is going to say "yes, but you got DQ'd, so you aren't a real IM", etc. I kinda see this as a yawn. From WTC's point of view they want to set their foot down, but from this guys POV, an DQ aint going to mean a thing to him in all likelihood.

So unless they actually had bouncers at the finish, this is just kinda an cute process. Run with your kids, get your photos, and the memories and from WTC's point, they'll DQ you.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next