Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Maryland Options (now up on IM MD website)
Quote | Reply
Kudos to Ironman for putting on the race on Oct 17 and allowing participants so many other options in 2015.
For those of us who can't make it in 2015...

"Lastly, for those who are unable to participate in a 2015 event will be given the option to register for a 2016 IRONMAN race that is open for general entry at 50% off. Communication will go out in late October for those athletes wishing to register for a 2016 event. Entry will be limited to events that are on sale and also have availability."
Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...d.aspx#ixzz3nphTk6QD

Are you kidding me? I get to pay another 50% of a race entry (if the race has availability)?!
How about
a) a FREE entry into 2016 IM race of our choice?
b) FULL refund.

Are there any lawyers out there? Can you tell me if any of this is even legal? It was just an expected heavy rainstorm when they cancelled the race!
Are there any financial analysts out there? Can you do an analysis of how much money they're making on us?
Last edited by: Superman13: Oct 6, 15 16:27
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland Options (now up on IM MD website) [Superman13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pretty sure the terms and conditions you agree to when you register promise nothing basically. so yea its legal
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland Options (now up on IM MD website) [Superman13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The terms/conditions stated no refund in th event of natural disasters. Sucks, but it's not unclear nor ambigious wording.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a feeling when they talked about "options" they actually meant "yeah we're going to be making a lot of you even more unhappy than you are now." But given all the fine print when you sign up for the event, I'm sure there's nothing you can do about it.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/10327392
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think wtc is obliged to give you anything. They have given multiple viable options that can make things work for most of the field from this race.

And if you can deal with that then tough shit. Oh but wait they will give you a further discount to further make it up to you. Seems fair. I know that wtc and ironman makes very little off race entry fee and the main money maker is gear sales and licensing, they don't give two cents if you enter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) yes its legal
2) They arent required to do anything
3) 50% off a Full IM is better than nothing - especially since they are technically still putting on the race.
4) Next time buy trip insurance for your race. its pretty cheap and if the race is cancelled due to weather then you get your money back. Even easier when there is a state of emergency declared by the Governor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you forgot to mention if you can't do Maryland you have the chance to do Louisville, Los Cabos, Florida, Arizona, Cozumel, Fortaleza, Malaysia or Western Australia at no cost.

Seems more than fair.
Last edited by: crambo: Oct 6, 15 16:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You do realize that they aren't making any more money off of any of you than they otherwise would, right? They are still putting on the race; they are still incurring all of the cost, no matter how many triathletes show up. In fact, they would have probably incurred almost all of the cost even had they cancelled the race entirely. The fact that they are allowing free entry to any remaining 2015 races is pretty generous, IMO, along with the 50% off for any 2016 races if you can't make it to a 2015 race.

Spot

Quote | Reply
what an entitled little prick.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland Options (now up on IM MD website) [crambo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that's a pretty big omission, and more than fair given the circumstances of the cancellation

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't feed the troll.

And if you're serious, glad you're not racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland Options (now up on IM MD website) [miamimikemd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the Ironman site on the Full refund plan.

What is not covered:
This Plan does not cover intentionally self-inflicted injury or self-inflicted sickness, physical complications resulting from alcohol or substance abuse, or natural disasters.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...n.aspx#ixzz3npy68147
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, this post sure backfired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind that in 2012, they cancelled the NYC Marathon. Yes, they allowed you to defer to one of the next 3 years, but you had to pay FULL price. I think this is generous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If 300 people transfer to IMLOU (10% of the field), shouldn't 5 Kona slots be transferred to IMLOU. I have no idea how many will transfer but I didn't see any type of cap in the email regarding IMLOU.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland Options (now up on IM MD website) [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a great example of the self-entitlement held by triathletes today.

I simply do not understand peoples reasoning for a free race, does't anyone understand what the waiver states? Or how the refund program works?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland Options (now up on IM MD website) [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:
If 300 people transfer to IMLOU (10% of the field), shouldn't 5 Kona slots be transferred to IMLOU. I have no idea how many will transfer but I didn't see any type of cap in the email regarding IMLOU.

They probably won't take more than 50......the same number that they will take for Florida, Arizona, etc.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland Options (now up on IM MD website) [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct. All race options are capped at 50 slots based on first come first serve. Athletes are supposed to send in an email asking to an entry to the new race. They will base slots on the time stamp of the email

japarker24 wrote:
summitt wrote:

They probably won't take more than 50......the same number that they will take for Florida, Arizona, etc.
In Reply To:

Quote | Reply
I hear you, bro. For all of the troubles that they've caused you, you should get an free entry into Kona.

Superman13 wrote:
Kudos to Ironman for putting on the race on Oct 17 and allowing participants so many other options in 2015.
For those of us who can't make it in 2015...

"Lastly, for those who are unable to participate in a 2015 event will be given the option to register for a 2016 IRONMAN race that is open for general entry at 50% off. Communication will go out in late October for those athletes wishing to register for a 2016 event. Entry will be limited to events that are on sale and also have availability."
Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...d.aspx#ixzz3nphTk6QD

Are you kidding me? I get to pay another 50% of a race entry (if the race has availability)?!
How about
a) a FREE entry into 2016 IM race of our choice?
b) FULL refund.

Are there any lawyers out there? Can you tell me if any of this is even legal? It was just an expected heavy rainstorm when they cancelled the race!
Are there any financial analysts out there? Can you do an analysis of how much money they're making on us?

Quote | Reply
I'm hoping the OP was trolling. As an IMMD 2015 competitor myself, I'm amazed at how generous all the various options are. There were many regional races cancelled due to weather last week. To my knowledge, WTC is the only one to reschedule and/or offer other options. Granted, they have a bigger financial and logistical base from which to do so but still, they owed us nothing. It's pretty clear when you register that you assume risk. To suggest legal options at this point is pretty absurd. I'll be there on the 17th, rain or shine.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland Options (now up on IM MD website) [Roadhog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roadhog wrote:
I'm hoping the OP was trolling. As an IMMD 2015 competitor myself, I'm amazed at how generous all the various options are. There were many regional races cancelled due to weather last week. To my knowledge, WTC is the only one to reschedule and/or offer other options. Granted, they have a bigger financial and logistical base from which to do so but still, they owed us nothing. It's pretty clear when you register that you assume risk. To suggest legal options at this point is pretty absurd. I'll be there on the 17th, rain or shine.

x2.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland Options (now up on IM MD website) [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadisonMan wrote:
Keep in mind that in 2012, they cancelled the NYC Marathon. Yes, they allowed you to defer to one of the next 3 years, but you had to pay FULL price. I think this is generous.

Beat me to it.

Good times that was.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland Options (now up on IM MD website) [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I actually think WTC is doing more than they have to.

Besides, all of the remaining 2015 races are better than Maryland.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland Options (now up on IM MD website) [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bcagle25 wrote:
This is a great example of the self-entitlement held by triathletes today.

I simply do not understand peoples reasoning for a free race, does't anyone understand what the waiver states? Or how the refund program works?

you could replace "triathletes" with "people" and still be right

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will not see a or b on this sport, read the fine print of any event you enter, especially under "Act of God" conditions. The options you are seeing in this event are about as good as it gets and above/beyond what they probably legally owe you.

In regards to the actual weather, as they say hindsight is 20/20... I think they made the right call with the area and potential for what could have been.
Quote Reply

Prev Next