Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Lake Placid Race Report - First IM (10:17)
Quote | Reply
I’ve only been up to Lake Placid once before in the dead of winter to do some skiing, man it is a beautiful place no matter what the season. I’m considering vacationing again just for some hiking/family fun. We stayed at the Crowne Plaza for the race which is perched on top of a pretty large hill with some great views of Mirror Lake and the surrounding scenery (no so great going up the hill POST race, haha). Anyways, on to the race:

Race morning I was up at 4:00am for pre-race breakfast. It consisted of a plain bagel with a healthy heaping of Adams Almond Butter, Nutella and a banana, topped off with some coffee of course. At 4:45 I was headed to transition. Since I had already packed up my bike and run bags the day before all I needed to do was inflate my tires and put my nutrition on the bike. I’m used to spending some time in transition getting everything ready so the fact that it only took me 10 minutes was nice, but I wished I had slept a little longer.

Swim: (56:05 - 38th overall, 6th M25-29)

By 5:15am or so I was headed over to the swim start where I put my wetsuit on and relaxed at one of the picnic tables while waiting for the swim warm-up. Time seemed to drag at this point and nerves were kicking in but eventually it was time to get in and warm up which seemed to take my mind off the 140.6 miles in front of me. At this point the weather was really nice, but there were mumblings amongst the other athletes about when the rain would come. From what I heard most were expecting it later in the day.

Finally it was time to line up for the staggered start and I placed myself in the 1hr or less group. I swam collegiately so swimming is definitely my most comfortable event after running. The cannon went off right at 6:30am and I was off at a relaxed pace. Given that you are swimming with other athletes of similar capabilities it didn’t really thin out until the first turn buoy. My first lap was 27:29, right where I wanted to be. The second lap was brutal because I began to run into the swimmers who started later, this lead to a choppy second lap that seemed much more challenging. I finished the second lap in 28:36 for a total swim time of 56:05. I was really happy with this for my first Ironman swim and it hadn’t taken much out of me.

Exiting to transition the rain had already started and it was really coming down. I quickly made my way through transition in 3:56 and headed out onto the bike course.

Bike: (6:03:12 - 226th overall, 26th M25-29)

Right out of transition you are headed down some steep short hills and with the rain really coming down large puddles of standing water had already formed. I decided to be cautious and stay up right so I made my way carefully. The next hour is basically a blur because I was freezing my ass off. It was down pouring and on the descents I froze. I was shivering pretty bad and I could tell it was taking a lot of energy out of me. I started to take down nutrition in an attempt to take my mind off being so cold. For the ride I had two bottles each with 2k calories of Infinit nutrition, one for each loop. Approaching the halfway point the rain started to let up and I completed the first lap in 2:56. Everyone and their mother said not to take it out too hard on the first lap so I followed their advice. The second lap was great weather wise and I finally warmed up. My lack of long rides while training started show here because even though my NP was only 165 watts to that point I was fatiguing more than I expected. And by the last 20 miles I really just wanted to be off the bike. I finished the second loop in 3:07 for a total time of 6:03, a pretty even effort.

I used the men’s room during the bike to run transition which slowed me down a bit but I still managed a 3:55 transition time.

Run: (3:10:36 77th overall, 9th M25-29)

Since I had never done an Ironman I had no idea what to expect from myself on the marathon after putting 112 miles on my legs. I’ll tell you what though, the volunteers and all the spectators on the course cheering you on and the fact that I got to see my family 5 times throughout the run really pulled me through. I am a strong runner so I ran the first half at 7:15-7:30 pace. I was passing a lot of people which really gave me an adrenaline rush. I was 226th overall going into the run and by mile 16 I was 116th and by mile 26 I was 77th. I also moved from 26th in my age group to 9th with a finishing marathon time of 3:10:36. I had no idea I was capable of that type of running going into this. My fastest open marathon time in 2:59 so I assumed I would be in the 3:45-4:00hr range after so many miles on the bike. In fact, the entire run I was thinking to myself that I am going to cramp up at any moment, but it never came. Nutrition wise I had 2 GU an hour and only water at the aid stations.

All together I finished in 10:17:44 which was good enough for 77th overall and 9th in my age group. If you use the adjusted times due to the swim debacle I’m 10th in my age group and 92nd overall. Either way I am really happy with my first Ironman race. I can probably strike a better bike/run balance and improve my time now that I know what I am capable of. Also, I’ve read it a million times here, but I need a few more long rides. Sadly my longest was 56 miles for Syracuse 70.3 a month before. With a 3yr old and almost 1yr old I try to keep my weekends free for the kiddos. I guess I have some really early weekday mornings in front of me before my next Ironman.

Any suggestions on where my next ironman should be? I like to use the week as a vacation for the family as well so although I am from Boston anywhere in the continental U.S. is fair game. You might even be able to convince me to go outside the U.S. if it’s compelling enough!

edit to fix spacing issue.
Last edited by: davetheharris: Jul 30, 14 10:24
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid Race Report - First IM (10:17) [davetheharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice race and report. Just one thing...2000cal in 1 bottle of infinite....WOW. Was it like drinking syrup? :)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid Race Report - First IM (10:17) [Pharmguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha, yeah it was essentially syrup. I tested one bottle on some of my shorter training rides and as long as I had some water to supplement I was fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid Race Report - First IM (10:17) [davetheharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's one helluva run! Great race for your first IM.

I haven't done it, but Tremblant gets nothing but rave reviews. I've skied there many times with my wife and kids and can't imagine a better place to bring the family for an IM (besides LP, that is). Pretty close to you to boot.

Again, Congrats!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very studly work for your first IM - congrats!!
That's an insanely impressive run.

With your swim and run, once you get that bike up to par, you'll be crushing all the dreams.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good that you made it through safely.

That's an amazing run split for your first IM and especially considering the lack of long rides leading up to the race. Congrats on the race!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid Race Report - First IM (10:17) [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, Tremblant is definitely up there on my list. I think I am leaning that way, but was also considering something in the south or south west for some warmer temps.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid Race Report - First IM (10:17) [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
With your swim and run, once you get that bike up to par, you'll be crushing all the dreams.

Based on the apparent fitness level, I imagine that there's some sweet, low-hanging fruit on the bike, too. IMO, a potential 9:40 finisher with a reasonable bike focus.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid Race Report - First IM (10:17) [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, definitely need to get some better more intense rides in. For some reason I finid it difficult to really push myself on the bike like I do on the swim and run. I think I just need a more regimented bike training plan. I hope youre right though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Warmer may be good for the family. You, not so much. Plus, they don't have Poutine down south ;)

davetheharris wrote:
Yeah, Tremblant is definitely up there on my list. I think I am leaning that way, but was also considering something in the south or south west for some warmer temps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man...thats awesome. well done. Check out trainerroad...that made a huge difference in my bike fitness. I actually find myself looking forward to bigger gains this winter on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the great race! Your description of the beginning of the bike is spot on, I can't believe how cold I was too. I was basically shivering to the point that I couldn't open up a ziplock bag with my snack in it. What made it worse was that I was horrified to make the descent to Keene in those conditions!

It was definitely a memorable race, great job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't believe you managed 4000 calories on the bike. Great first IM!

I too was in LP for the weekend (watching not racing). The only IM I've done is Tremblant, but I've trained on the Placid course. I'd definitely recommend Tremblant. The ride isn't nearly as scenic, but the way the community gets behind the event and the excitement in the village makes it hard to beat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a fantastic result. Does this mean that it would be possible to do sub 10 in first IM? There was a guy here a while ago who proclaimed that he is going to do sub 10 in his first IM which will be IMLP.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid Race Report - First IM (10:17) [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

Based on the apparent fitness level, I imagine that there's some sweet, low-hanging fruit on the bike, too. IMO, a potential 9:40 finisher with a reasonable bike focus.

Id say faster...he ran 3:10 off a 6hr bike. Riding 1hr less might have him knocking on 3hr mark. Id say 9:20 to 9:30 or better is possible. I want to believe your aero and bike fitness IS that bad. Really, it just sucks...and that a compliment to you talent as a runner and swimmer.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid Race Report - First IM (10:17) [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
This is a fantastic result. Does this mean that it would be possible to do sub 10 in first IM? There was a guy here a while ago who proclaimed that he is going to do sub 10 in his first IM which will be IMLP.

Sure. My first is in sept. Going slower than 9:45 in my mind wouldf be underperforming. I think I have a 9:25 in me if I nail execution. My next 70.3 next weekend will give me another data point.

It can happen with hard work to realized your potential....just like the OP.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid Race Report - First IM (10:17) [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, definitely doable with the right genetics and a solid training plan.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid Race Report - First IM (10:17) [Shaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shaman wrote:
Man...thats awesome. well done. Check out trainerroad...that made a huge difference in my bike fitness. I actually find myself looking forward to bigger gains this winter on the trainer.

Im actually on trainerroad already, love it. Definitely need to utilize it more. Are you doing your long rides on there as well? I find it hard to spend more than 2hr on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've made it up to 4 hours on TR for workouts. Recently I've been trying to get outside...but just the control you have on TR is so much nicer sometimes. Side view mirrors aren't flying past you at 60 mph either. Every hour on the trainer I will stop and grab a fresh bottle of water (just keeps me from losing my mind).

I did 8DC on TR and I think those 8 days alone made a HUGE difference in this years results. I am still trying to figure out how to incorporate TR, tarpon challenge and BarryPs plan for my offseason this year. I guess thats the problem with being self coached :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
haha yeah I hear you. I think sometimes I bike easier because I know I have to run or swim later and all my bike training is done first thing after waking up. I did sufferlandria but when I biked that hard consecutively I made gains definitely but my run/swim fell off. I guess I just need to find a better balance, and like you said being self coached that is not always easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! great job!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shaman wrote:
I've made it up to 4 hours on TR for workouts. Recently I've been trying to get outside...but just the control you have on TR is so much nicer sometimes. Side view mirrors aren't flying past you at 60 mph either. Every hour on the trainer I will stop and grab a fresh bottle of water (just keeps me from losing my mind).

I did 8DC on TR and I think those 8 days alone made a HUGE difference in this years results. I am still trying to figure out how to incorporate TR, tarpon challenge and BarryPs plan for my offseason this year. I guess thats the problem with being self coached :)

Just out of interest, which TR workouts do you choose for those 4 hour rides??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davetheharris wrote:
haha yeah I hear you. I think sometimes I bike easier because I know I have to run or swim later and all my bike training is done first thing after waking up. I did sufferlandria but when I biked that hard consecutively I made gains definitely but my run/swim fell off. I guess I just need to find a better balance, and like you said being self coached that is not always easy.

That's why I and many area believer is running being mostly zone 1 easy and getting in consistent mileage, limiting your long run, and doing just a single quality run, but usually not too intense. Those with strong bike splits I suspect, are rarely running over 15-16 miles for their long run. You might leave a little run speed on the table, but you'll reduce your risk of injury, but I think most here would say that you left a good 30' of bike on the table. I'd love to see you bike set-up and position too.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid Race Report - First IM (10:17) [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Typically I just sort by time and find something that looks interesting. Training with power is completely new to me (this year) so I am taking the shotgun approach. The last long ride I did on TR was Mount Drum.....sometimes I will find workouts that are 3:30 or so and add on to them with an easy spin out for 15-30 minutes. Pretty much anything that has some change is better than days past when I would just sit on the trainer and hammer out 85-95 RPM for 4 hours. Those were the worst.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid Race Report - First IM (10:17) [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my longest run was actually only 10 miles, but it was in the smokey mountains, NC on vaca with 8-10% grade hills. Did back to back 10 mile days, pretty brutal. My run training otherwise was a 3.5 mile run into work and a 3.5 run home so basically 35 miles a week monday-friday with a few 50-60 mile weeks thrown in there when I would run on the weekend off the bike. Given the short runs most of them were @6 min mile pace with some .1/.2 mile speed work thrown in. Not an exact science just went based on feel.

Here is my bike position:

I don't think it is too bad, but i'm sure "my seat is too high" :).

photog credit to my wife!
Last edited by: davetheharris: Jul 31, 14 9:13
Quote Reply

Prev Next