Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman France - Scott Thompson [mmarriot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any update today on Scott's condition? Stay STRONG Scott!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman France - Scott Thompson [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,
I am a family member of Scott's (cousin). Yesterday the news was that he was again in critical condition due to an adverse reaction to antibiotics for the lung infection. They had to stop the wean from the sedatives and put him back under a full medically induced coma (from what I understand). He was requiring 100% O2 on the vent yesterday and the doctors stressed that his condition was very critical. Here is the update from his brother today:
"Scott is stable today. But there was some progress. His oxygen levels dropped from 100 on Monday to 55 today. That's good progress. The doctors were also able to isolate and identify the bacteria that is causing his lung infection. That will make it easier for them to prescribe the most effective anti-biotic. His liver and kidneys are still doing well.

We have been reminded (again) by the doctors that this will take time and that there will be some ups and downs.

We will have a "changing of the guard" here in Nice. My Mom will return to the States on Thursday morning. My sister Jodi will arrive in Nice on Thursday morning. I will head back to the States on Saturday. Jodi will stay in Nice with Ulya for the next week while Scott continues to recover.

Thanks again for your support."

Thank you to everyone following for your thoughts and prayers. We are hoping for him to make a full recovery!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman France - Scott Thompson [yoneeley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"His oxygen levels dropped from 100 on Monday to 55 today. That's good progress"

HUH? How is that good progress?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman France - Scott Thompson [IronMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It means his % of oxygen requirements. We breathe 21% oxygen normally. He was requiring 100% oxygen yesterday and today is to 55%. Does that make sense? Sorry for the confusion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. When we(medics) refer to O2 levels dropping, were talking falling saturated O2 levels.
Which is bad.
You were referring to How much supplemental O2 he was receiving
Sorry for my understanding but thanks for clearing that up.
Best wishes to a speedy recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any new updates on Scott? I've been following his recovery on a daily basis. Hopefully things have been continuing to improve!

Jean
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All the best to Scott....I hope he is coming along!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jul 19, 11 13:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got behind on updates...here is the latest from Scott's sister Jodi who is now in France with Scott. I believe Steve (Scott's brother) has now returned home.

July 11th - Hi! I am doing my first update from France. Stephen is going home in the morning. We had an uneventful morning visit with Scott today. We met with his doctor this afternoon and got some great news. His liver and kidneys are making great progress and functioning well. The test they did on his lungs, to test for any bacteria, came back negative. They will continue to test this for the next few days to see if it remains negative. He does have some mucous remaining in his lungs that they are trying to get out. They had him tilted to his side when we saw him and they said it should just run out. He no longer has ARDS. They have decreased his sedative again and if they can continue to get the mucous out of his lungs they will continue to decrease it so that he will wake up. Hopefully soon! We really appreciate your love and continued prayers.

Thanks,
Jodi

July 16th - Hi. More progress again today. Scott is continuing to do well. His oxygen level was 38 when we saw him this afternoon (21 is normal). They are continuing to decrease his sedative. They said it may be sometime tomorrow or Monday that he may wake up. Thanks again for your prayers!

Jodi

Sunday, July 17 - No real change with Scott today. It is very quiet in the ICU on Sunday's. There are no doctors to speak to, but his numbers on the machine are the same. Oxygen still at 35. They had to put him to sleep a little bit again today to change a catheter. They should start the waking up process again tomorrow. Our translater is coming at 1:00 and we will hopefully get to meet with a doctor and receive more information. Thank you for your continued support and prayers. We really appreciate all of you.

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update! Haven't posted here but have been following---here's to a good week of recovery!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman France - Scott Thompson [Skippy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jodi,
Thanks for the updates. I was Scott's seminar leader for the 3 month class he just finished here in Garmisch. Please know that he has all of his seminar 9 teammates, all of PASS 11-5, the garmisch community, (plus many people from my church back in the U.S.) praying for his recovery. I have been sending updates posted on this site out to his seminar and PASS classmates all over the world, so thanks for keeping us updated. We pray he will wake up today and have a swift recovery! Martha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update from Jodi 7/19

Hi, Scott is awake today and responsive. When we ask him questions he will slightly move his head. Unfortunately the bacteria in his lungs is back. Because of the infection in his lungs, he has a fever. They have started him on a new antibiotic today. Hopefully they will be able to fight the bacteria again with this new antibiotic. His oxygen levels are at 41. The bacteria needs to be gone and his oxygen levels need to be between 30 and 35 for them to remove the breathing tube. His kidneys and liver are still doing good. We just need to fight this bacteria infection in his lungs. Please continue to keep him and his family in your prayers.

Thanks for your support,
Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fantastic news!!!!! I did IMFrance as well and it was a very tough race. It sounds like Scott is a fighter and he is fighting and winning this battle. GO SCOTT WE ARE ALL CHEERING FOR YOUR RECOVERY!!!!!!!!!

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7/20 update from Jodi -

Hi, today was a great day. Tomorrow they are taking Scott off of the ventilator. The doctors feel that the breathing tube is the cause of his returning bacteria infection in his lungs. His oxygen is 36. They will continue with the antibiotics and give him oxygen through the nose. They are also going to stop all sedation in the morning. Scott is already very awake and I think he is very uncomfortable. His arms have been tied down and I can only imagine how horrible that would feel. His liver is good and the doctor said that his kidneys are functioning better than his (the doctors). If all goes well tomorrow and he stays stable on the oxygen for 2-3 days, they will then transfer him to Germany. Great news! We are so excited and hopeful and prayerful that all goes well and he can continue to heal.

Thanks so much!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is great news, however the poor guy is currently a prisoner in his own body. No race should end this way. All the best to him and his family!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman France - Scott Thompson [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
get better brother!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update from Steve on 7/27

Hello,

I heard from Ulya this morning.

Scott was awake and no longer on the ventilator. It sounds like he is doing great. Apparently he told Ulya, "go get me some food, or I will go get it myself". We took that as a good sign. I think he will be transferred to Germany sometime in the next couple of days.

I will send another update as soon as I get some more information.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome news! I've been following along and hoping for the best
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great news, any updates? Did he get transferred to Landstuhl yet?

FIST Certified Fitter
Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman France - Scott Thompson [ssn759co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He did not get transfered....Scott had a bad couple of days. Here is Today's update from Steve:

Hello,
I am sending this update on Ulya's behalf. I spoke with Ulya last night and with our friends in France the Lafitte's this morning. The Lafitte's were with Ulya at the hospital this morning and helped with translating during a meeting with the doctors.
The doctors believe that Scott swallowed a lot of sea water during the swim portion of the race. Apparently the sea water in his lungs impacted his body's ability to take on oxygen during the race which contributed to his heat stroke. This sea water continues to cause some problems with his lungs.
As we heard from Ulya yesterday, Scott is struggling to breathe as a result of additional infection in his left lung. The doctors believe this infection (pseudomonas) was caused by sea water and that it sat dormant for a period of time. It is now causing some real issues (limiting the lungs ability to oxygenate the blood and its actually attacking the lung tissue) and is resistant to the antibiotics. Scott is on a new antibiotic (apparently the strongest one available) for a 3 to 4 day treatment. If the antibiotic does not show results within the next day or so, Scott will need to be sedated again and placed back on the ventilator.
His condition remains serious. Please keep Scott and his family in your prayers. His current antibiotic needs to clear this infection.
Thanks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More prayers from this side of the Atlantic....thanks for the updates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is an update on Scott's condition as of end of day July 27:

Scott has Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) again. Basically, this is a condition where his lungs are not able to oxygenate his blood. Scott is sedated and back on the ventilator to help his lungs perform this function while they heal. Scott is now getting a nitric oxide treatment to aid his lungs in getting oxygen into his body. His current oxygen levels are at 75 and holding.

He continues to fight an infection in his lungs. The doctors checked his lungs via fibroscopy today, but found no sign of the bacteria. The doctors felt the bacteria maybe masking itself in some way. They also did some X-rays which did show evidence of infection. He also has a fever. There maybe some additional bacteria or fungal infection that is impacting his lungs ability to function. The puss and mucus that was clogging his lungs seems to be gone.

It will take time for his lungs to heal. We hope for some indication of progress tomorrow.

Please continue to keep Scott in your prayers.

Thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Stephen Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott and family continue to be in our thoughts here stateside. Hoping for progress and a full recovery!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman France - Scott Thompson [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow I was there too this year and last. I will send all the positive energy I can his way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was there this year too, very tough conditions and the heat on the promenade was intense. All the best Scott.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, any news (good, I hope) on Scott?

Marty
Quote Reply

Prev Next