Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Chattanooga 2017 [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
The bike course is surprisingly fast, for the elevation gain...nothing really remarkable. The run is a BITCH.

There is a lot of opportunity to tank your race on the bike course if you aren't careful. Hit the first loop too hard and you'll be sorry but you won't realize it until later. Having a PM and a good pacing plan is a big benefit on this course.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga 2017 [TomTriesTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like latest surface water temps are listed at 69 degrees. 😬 Wetsuit legal maybe !?!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga 2017 [trimack45] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody know what the water temp is as of today, 9/22.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga 2017 [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
who is going to come on here and give us first times the "real deal" on the im chattanooga course. swim of course should be smooth sailing as all with current. sounds like the bike is mostly rollers with a steep section at hog jowl rd, is that correct? anything else to concern myself with on the bike? on the run sounds like barton ave is the killer. pacing myself on the run with those hills will be challenging.
Not much to say about that swim. Sighting was easy and I had minimal contact.

On the first and last 5-6 miles of the bike, just watch out for road issues - potholes, cracks, lots of manhole covers, a couple of R/R crossings, etc. Most are well marked, but be wary. Outside of that, the bike is mostly rollers, hardly anything I'd call a real climb. Pretty nice roads once you get out of town (at least for a north Texan). I like the bike course. Looks like winds will be negligible. Not sure if you plan on using SN on the bike, but it was the fastest and most efficient of all my IMs. They had my bag before I came to a complete stop.

The run is tough. The course profile will show you the hills. There's a good one almost immediately out of transition that you do only once (you run down it just before finishing). It's then flattish for a while, with a steep punchy climb before crossing north over the river. The hills on the north side of the river are no joke, there's virtually nothing flat over there. You're going up or going down. There's some shade when running along the river, and perhaps a bit on the north side. I guess that all depends when you're running though.

Overall, it's a great city and great venue for an IM.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga 2017 [Jefft01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swam at Coolidge park this morning at sunrise. It did not feel wetsuit legal. At the 2 pm athletes brief we were told the temp at 4 am was 75.5 degrees and to bring wetsuits because it could very well be legal. I find that hard to believe but I also know that Ironman will go to great lengths to coddle the marginal swimmers.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga 2017 [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The water actually felt cooler than I expected. I had my sleeveless wetsuit on and don’t feel like I would overheat in it
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga 2017 [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
I swam at Coolidge park this morning at sunrise. It did not feel wetsuit legal. At the 2 pm athletes brief we were told the temp at 4 am was 75.5 degrees and to bring wetsuits because it could very well be legal. I find that hard to believe but I also know that Ironman will go to great lengths to coddle the marginal swimmers.

Normally I would agree with you, but in these 100% current aided swims, I feel like they don't look for that magic spot that is 76.1 deg

This race has never been wetsuit legal and the first year (2014) they said the water temp was 77, so they didn't give us anything.

But since Worlds was legal 2 weeks ago, it would not surprise me at all if it is legal tomorrow.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga 2017 [Anton84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anton84 wrote:
Who is in this year? Looks like it's going to be on the toasty side weather-wise second year in a row.

We have a few athletes racing so I did a quick podcast on strategies for Bike and Run Heat Management as it is defiantly going to be toasty! Best of luck to all racing.
Available on ITUNES or Stitcher - IREP Triathlon Podcast

https://www.irepathletics.com/blog/2017/9/23/episode-13-heat-management-strategies-for-ironman-races

Scott Proscia, BS ATC M.Ed ACSM-CPT
Head Performance Coach
IREP Athletics / The Training Plan Source

Coaching - http://www.irepathletics.com
Training Plans - http://www.TheTrainingPlanSource.com

Dynamic Athlete ProgrammingVIP Endurance Racing | Like us on Facebook Get Your Training Plan Here
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga 2017 [IREPathletics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Will take a listen. It make not be the scorcher that last year was but it’s not going to be far off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just listened to your podcast. Good tips although I wear a hat so I can easily put ice under it at aid stations but I know that discussion has been debated on here before. Drenching oneself at bike aid stations is a great tip. And two sponges in front of shirt with ice also great. I’ve normally done a sponge down my back but with the heat will grab all the ice and sponges I can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hat with Ice surely is a fair alternative I just never liked the water running down my face and on my sunglasses as the ice melted. A regular hat I do feel traps some heat hence the visor recommendation.

One thing I didn't mention is dumping water over your head while bent over to avoid direct dumping on running shoes. I usually recommend my athletes use a quick drying sock like a Swiftwick with a high olefin count as it's inevitable they are going to get wet and we don't need blisters slowing us down.

Dynamic Athlete ProgrammingVIP Endurance Racing | Like us on Facebook Get Your Training Plan Here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Yeah. I wear swiftwick. My hat is pretty lightweight and breathable . But have also worn a visor but my with my thinning hair I have to worry about scalp burn. ;) good point on leaning over for water. I’ve learned that in training. Thanks for the good tips. Going to be a scorcher tomorrow so paving, hydration, and ice will be extra important for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know water temp this morning?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga 2017 [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
77.9 water temp this morning. Z
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga 2017 [PandP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PandP wrote:
Anyone know water temp this morning?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga 2017 [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Championship Slots Per Division (600+ wetsuits pulled from calculation)
Division Starters Total
M18-24 20 1
M25-29 71 2
M30-34 128 3
M35-39 132 3
M40-44 198 4
M45-49 194 4
M50-54 151 3
M55-59 79 2
M60-64 37 1
M65-69 12 1
M70-74 7 1
M75-79 2 1
F18-24 10 1
F25-29 24 1
F30-34 49 1
F35-39 95 2
F40-44 123 2
F45-49 89 2
F50-54 67 2
F55-59 32 1
F60-64 18 1
F65-69 1 1
Sum 1539 40

Sylvan Smyth | http://www.sportstats.asia | sylvan@sportstats.asia | Starvas
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga 2017 [sylvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't used the tracker in ages, but wow, is it frustrating or am I crazy.

Is there any way to get the old tracker, the one that briefly flashes before being replaced by apparently the new tracker.

I want to see the current list by age group. Or overall. You used to be able to do this. And the old interface that would allow this flashes quickly before being replaced by something new, which seems to be your custom athlete list.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think, if you're a bad swimmer, you could turn around, swim against the current, and still make the swim cutoff. Still over an hour 'til the 2:20 cutoff and there are only 24 swimmers left in the water.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga 2017 [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Click Leaders, then either Top Age Group Men or Women, and then you can scroll down and select any age group.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty strong flow this am. ~13,000 cfs.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga 2017 [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Pretty strong flow this am. ~13,000 cfs.

It seems faster than the first year, based on results. happen to know what the release was in 2014?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga 2017 [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure, but I think it was similar.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga 2017 [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Not sure, but I think it was similar.
2016 was 6950 cfs.

Janyne
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga 2017 [jmkizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any info on the dates of the 2018 event? I heard Sept 23rd and "one week later."

Janyne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IREPathletics wrote:
Anton84 wrote:
Who is in this year? Looks like it's going to be on the toasty side weather-wise second year in a row.

We have a few athletes racing so I did a quick podcast on strategies for Bike and Run Heat Management as it is defiantly going to be toasty! Best of luck to all racing.
Available on ITUNES or Stitcher - IREP Triathlon Podcast

https://www.irepathletics.com/blog/2017/9/23/episode-13-heat-management-strategies-for-ironman-races

Scott Proscia, BS ATC M.Ed ACSM-CPT
Head Performance Coach
IREP Athletics / The Training Plan Source

Coaching - http://www.irepathletics.com
Training Plans - http://www.TheTrainingPlanSource.com
Thanks again for these tips. I followed a lot of them out there today and kept heat under control. Some tech gadget fails derailed my some of my target race goals but I enjoyed the race. It was my first IM. One thing I also did was carried a ziplock bag on the run filling it with ice so I could put it were I needed it. Did the two sponges thing down my top. All worked great. Heat was less of an issue for me
Quote Reply

Prev Next