Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironam Cozumel travel questions
Quote | Reply
I will be traveling to race Cozumel this Sunday, and was wondering who in the past has traveled to this race and can help answer some questions.

1) Will I be able to pay most normal things for travel with a credit card?
2) How much cash would you recommend taking?
3) I'm assuming the ironman village will take credit cards like they usually do?

First time racing international and just wanted to make sure I don't have any surprises. Thanks for your responses.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironam Cozumel travel questions [Giantxlab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most everywhere takes credit/debit cards. But if you pay by debit or credit card, you are likely to get a foreign transaction fee for every charge however. Check with your bank, as it can add up.

I would not take any cash other than a hundred bucks US or so, just in case/to get from the airport. You want pesos, since when you pay you'll get pesos in return no matter what currency you use, and you will always get the short end of the conversion stick if you use US Dollars.

Best is to go to an ATM and withdraw pesos, as much as you think you'll need as you will get charged there as well, so you want to minimize the number of withdrawals. Also, go to a reputable ATM, not one sitting on the street. I recommend the one at the far right back of the square (facing away from the ocean), with the walk in air conditioned room. I've never had issues there (I have heard of unaffiliated ATM machines eating up cards)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giantxlab wrote:
I will be traveling to race Cozumel this Sunday, and was wondering who in the past has traveled to this race and can help answer some questions.

1) Will I be able to pay most normal things for travel with a credit card?
2) How much cash would you recommend taking?
3) I'm assuming the ironman village will take credit cards like they usually do?

First time racing international and just wanted to make sure I don't have any surprises. Thanks for your responses.

i live here and never use a credit card. Bring some USD or Euro cash just to pay for taxi from airport. stop by ATM and get pesos. you can get ATM at grocery stores or bank. i think airport might give a horrid rate but never been to Cozumel airport. pay for everything with pesos. i've never purchased at the ironman village so can't help you there.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As Kathy said, if you need cash then just get it from the local ATMs. I would suggest just getting cash from the ATM as needed. It is easiest to just use your credit card unless you are some place that only takes cash and for taxis. When you use your credit card have them charge it in Pesos and not USD because they will NOT charge your card in USD at an accurate exchange rate. Often they will do a $1 = 10 Peso, which means you will get screwed (currently it's around $10 Peso = $0.60 USD). If you don't already have this type of app, download a currency exchange converter app to you smart phone. That way you can verify you are being charged correctly when paying for things and just so you know how much you are actually paying. I would also suggest calling your credit card company and bank/credit union if you plan to use a debit card to let them know you will be in Mexico and using your cards there. My husband had his debit card and credit card shut down the first time we went to Cozumel because our credit union thought it was stolen and being used by someone else outside the country. The next 2 trips we did to Mexico we notified our credit union before the trip and had no issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironam Cozumel travel questions [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any tips for transfer from Cancun airport to Cozumel ? How seamless is travel with a bike from the airport to ferry, etc. ? I was thinking I might need to reserve an SUV taxi/limo service? Thanks for any pearls you can share.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironam Cozumel travel questions [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kathy knows a lot more, but here's a page with all the tips and directions you need. Done it a few times but usually fly into Coz. It's pretty easy with heavy dive gear, never done it with a bike. I'm headed there as well but using TBT

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Trans
Quote Reply
Re: Ironam Cozumel travel questions [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I guess I'll just roll out into the transpo area and grab a taxi. Ferry seems reliable. Once over to Coz can probably arrange something with hotel. If it's not too busy maybe they will let me fly one of the commuter flights with oversize bike bag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So this time of year, (both the half and full are considered IRONMAN by the locals) there will be private transfer vans and taxi vans at CUN and COZ. your cheapest bet is wtih ADO (around $10USD) to Playa but I doubt they'll take the bike, so you're limited to shared taxi or private transfer. I think those are around $500 to $800 (at $18/$1USD) (we use the same symbol for pesos and USD). Once you're in Playa go to the ferry (have taxi/van drop you at the terminal) and there is a super cheap new option at only $69 OW (but that is the local price) and you might have some offers there for Ironman. Just ask the ferry ticket person if they have a discount for Ironman. Then from the ferry on the COZ side you'll have lots of taxi vans that can take your bike. Ferry will have a million Ironman bikes on the ferry - they're used to this so don't worry.

The biggest and most expensive part is the transfer from CUN to Playa but if you google around you can find some deals (check playa.info for one).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the local scoop. This will be for AG worlds in September but I assume the flow will be the same. Sounds like with about $100 U.S. I should be able to get to hotel pretty easily. Have you ever flown the local commuter plane from CUN to COZ ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maya Air? No. :) enjoy! They'll STILL call it Ironman though. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Maya Air in 2014 when I did IMCoz. It was pretty smooth, but there were a few notable things:

1. My US flight arrived on time, so I had a couple hours before my Maya Air flight. To move up to an earlier half empty flight, they made me pay an annoying change fee.

2. I think there is a limit to how many bikes and how much weight they can carry. Not sure what the fees are. I used TBT, which was very convenient.

3. The owner of Maya Air is some travel company. I recall some people on the flight got a better deal than I did, because they bought directly from the travel company, whereas I bought from the Maya Air website.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
So this time of year, (both the half and full are considered IRONMAN by the locals) there will be private transfer vans and taxi vans at CUN and COZ. your cheapest bet is wtih ADO (around $10USD) to Playa but I doubt they'll take the bike, so you're limited to shared taxi or private transfer. I think those are around $500 to $800 (at $18/$1USD) (we use the same symbol for pesos and USD). Once you're in Playa go to the ferry (have taxi/van drop you at the terminal) and there is a super cheap new option at only $69 OW (but that is the local price) and you might have some offers there for Ironman. Just ask the ferry ticket person if they have a discount for Ironman. Then from the ferry on the COZ side you'll have lots of taxi vans that can take your bike. Ferry will have a million Ironman bikes on the ferry - they're used to this so don't worry.

The biggest and most expensive part is the transfer from CUN to Playa but if you google around you can find some deals (check playa.info for one).

ADO does take the bike for $5...its super easy and the bus has ac and reserved seating, tvs. I waited much longer when I waited for a shared taxi. Around $15 total from Cancun to Playa.
Last edited by: CP78: Aug 3, 16 0:12
Quote Reply