Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

International Travel Before First Ironman?
Quote | Reply
I've got myself a bit of a hard decision to make so I thought I'd solicit some advice from the Collective Slowtwitch Experience. After doing a sprint and an Olympic distance triathlon and a lot of training over the last couple years I decided to sign up for Ironman Chattanooga this year, along with a sprint (Clemson Tri, 09 May), Olympic (Chattanooga Waterfront, 28 June), and HIM (Toughman Alabama, 08 August). I knew that a good friend of mine was planning to get married in Spain this year, but thought it would be sometime in June or July so I figured it wouldn't be a problem with my training. A few months after signing up for IMCHOO I got his save the date for 12 September -- just two weeks before my first Ironman.

So here's the question: would taking four or five days to travel to Spain from Georgia that close to my first Ironman be a big setback for my fitness? I'm following the Don Fink intermediate plan, and those last two weeks are taper weeks, and I feel like most of the hard work will be done by 12 Sept. As long as I get in a few runs and maybe a swim (if I can find a pool) while I'm gone, should that be enough to sustain my fitness? With all the time and money invested in this race I'd hate to bonk or DNF because of a poor decision.

Advice, comments, or suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: International Travel Before First Ironman? [thanimal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So here's the question: would taking four or five days to travel to Spain from Georgia that close to my first Ironman be a big setback for my fitness?

I'm not clear on why it would take that long to travel to Spain?
Quote Reply
Re: International Travel Before First Ironman? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because I'd like to actually spend more than 12 hours in Spain once I get there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a hard decision at all. It'll have bugger all impact on your fitness at that point, just go easy on the rioja. It's your good friend and you're not a pro. Just because triathlon is a lifestyle doesn't mean it has to be your life!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
would taking four or five days to travel to Spain from Georgia

Sorry, I thought you were only talking about the travel time, not your actual stay there.
Quote Reply
Re: International Travel Before First Ironman? [Drdan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drdan wrote:
Not a hard decision at all. It'll have bugger all impact on your fitness at that point, just go easy on the rioja. It's your good friend and you're not a pro. Just because triathlon is a lifestyle doesn't mean it has to be your life!

End of thread
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanimal wrote:
I've got myself a bit of a hard decision to make so I thought I'd solicit some advice from the Collective Slowtwitch Experience. After doing a sprint and an Olympic distance triathlon and a lot of training over the last couple years I decided to sign up for Ironman Chattanooga this year, along with a sprint (Clemson Tri, 09 May), Olympic (Chattanooga Waterfront, 28 June), and HIM (Toughman Alabama, 08 August). I knew that a good friend of mine was planning to get married in Spain this year, but thought it would be sometime in June or July so I figured it wouldn't be a problem with my training. A few months after signing up for IMCHOO I got his save the date for 12 September -- just two weeks before my first Ironman.

So here's the question: would taking four or five days to travel to Spain from Georgia that close to my first Ironman be a big setback for my fitness? I'm following the Don Fink intermediate plan, and those last two weeks are taper weeks, and I feel like most of the hard work will be done by 12 Sept. As long as I get in a few runs and maybe a swim (if I can find a pool) while I'm gone, should that be enough to sustain my fitness? With all the time and money invested in this race I'd hate to bonk or DNF because of a poor decision.

Almost zero impact in terms of fitness loss. Just make sure you top up on sleep after you get back. I travel internationally several times per month for work and have to do it around training and racing. My racing would be a bit better if I did not have a disruptive schedule but in terms of performance at an aerobic event and impact on your physiology, it is months of training that makes changes not a few days, so you will be fine. The main thing is to catch up on sleep and be rested. That can be the hardest part, but you should be back with a lot of time to spare.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanimal wrote:

Glad you started this thread. Same boat as you except mine is a HIM. I won a trip from Panera Bread for a 15 day vacation in Greece and Italy. Yes people actually win those contests. No it's not really free. IRS still considers it income.

I get back 3 days before Steelhead HIM. I figured I'd just stay on top of my running since that's my weakness. I am trying to get out of the vacation since I really dislike international travel. I'm so uncultured. lol. I am a Las Vegas in March and Ohau in December guy. :) I've done five study abroad semesters and dry humped the Statue of Liberty every time I arrived back in America.

Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback everyone. It's nice to get feedback from people who have experience with this situation. Now let me make sure I can afford that plane ticket...

Once I'm there, does anyone have recommendations on how to find a pool if I want to get in a swim workout? The wedding is in Bejar, Spain, a small town just outside of Salamanca. If anyone happens to know some good running trails in the area that'd be awesome to know as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The good thing about running is you do not need trails.
We were vacationing in the Daintree rainforest in Australia several years ago and I went for a run on a small country road.
I crossed a bridge that had a yellow warning sign that stated: "Caution Crocodiles present may cause death".

On the other side of the road was a cow. I thought to myself I only need to be faster than the cow.

A little while later there was a girl who looked like Shirley Temple standing at the end of her driveway. She saw me jogging and asked her parents "what is that man doing?"
I wanted to yell "Running from the crocs!!" but I figured her parents would not find it as funny as I did.
Quote Reply