Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Injuries after being hit by a car: suppress, neutral or embrace
Quote | Reply
About 10 days ago a guy driving a jeep made a left turn in front me (I was heading North and he was heading South and turned East on a gravel road) and took me out. Ended up with 4 broken ribs, pneumothorax and interochanteric hip fracture. That latter resulted in the addition of a titanium rod and screws to my body. I have gone through the gamut of one second earlier and I could have been killed. One second later and it would have been a close call. It is what it is and now I need to focus on getting better.

Ironically, months ago I ordered a Haley titanium gravel bike for Barry-Roubaix. Clearly, will not be riding or racing by that time.

A question to others who have been hit or crashed, do you memorialize the incident in some way or simply suppress or appropriately deal with it? Part of me is thinking of having an image of the surgical screws on the seat stay or some place. Ideas on how to integrate into the paint scheme or is this just simply a bad idea?

J
Quote Reply
Re: Injuries after being hit by a car: suppress, neutral or embrace [ASU_GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a similar incident a few years ago where a driver hit me, broke my femur amongst other things, had surgery, etc.

It took me a while to get over it and its a neutral thing now that I get reminded of when I see my surgical scars in the shower. I don't really care to memorialize the incident. A drink driver almost killing me doesn't give me much joy to re-count. I can say I got back to my pre-crash form and that made me happy.

Whatever you need to do, go for it though.
Quote Reply
Re: Injuries after being hit by a car: suppress, neutral or embrace [ASU_GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ugh no advice to your question, just wanted to say I hate to hear it and hope you heal up soon!

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe the standard advice on Slowtwitch in these matters are to lawyer up and don't post anything on social media about the "accident" until settlement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was t-boned by a car in 2016 and didn’t come out as badly as you, but did bust up my knee (which took most of the side-on impact) which required surgery to repair the ligaments (ACL/PCL/MCL).

I haven’t thought to memorialise it in any way although the surgical scar down the inside of my leg, where the MCL was repaired, serves as a permanent reminder and Facebook memories come up every year chronicling the rehab. The best bit of recovery, and signal that my body had moved on, was completing another Ironman 10 months after the accident.

Honestly, there’s no right or wrong here. You do whatever feels right in order to appreciate coming out of it and living life again. All the best for a successful recovery. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the guy stick around and call for help? Did you sue?

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Injuries after being hit by a car: suppress, neutral or embrace [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will defer to TJ56 earlier post in this thread.
Last edited by: ASU_GT: Mar 5, 23 4:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just move on. The past is the past relative to anything in life. You can only affect the present....lots of good days in the present makes for an awesome future....but just focus on now. The past is done. Got run over a bus in 2018. No point having that hold me back. It is what it is, impairments and psychological scars and all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I worked with a sports psychologist after a particularly bad crash descending a few years ago. It stuck with me for racing and I didn't want to take chances. Best thing I ever did working with the psychologist. I learned how to remember the crash without panicking. And, I learned how to not let it take over my brain and body when I was riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was hit by the front fender of a 4WD vehicle at about a 45 degree angle. I can recall sailing through the air until I hit the road and nothing more until I regained consciousness when the paramedics were loading me into the ambulance. I suffered physical damage literally from head to toe with lots of abrasions, broken ribs and joint damage.

The driver was at fault but that did nothing to help me recover. I was afraid to get on the bike again and was angry that this driver had robbed me of my favourite lifetime pursuit of triathlon. Nevertheless, after a slow recovery I began swimming and running again but it took about 12 months before I could mentally face riding the bike again. I was a cautious rider before the crash and became even more paranoid afterwards. As time passed I became more comfortable riding on the roads and eventually got back to where I was previously from both a mental as well as physical point of view. Time is the healer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If money is your God, then sue for all you can. Otherwise, move on. You still have life to live and life without challenges is not a fruitful life. Focus on the future and what you are bringing. The past is gone and there is no reason to keep thinking about it. It would only make you unhappy.
Last edited by: NealH: Mar 6, 23 17:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's going to be up to you. Everyone is going to process differently.

I got hit the same way 3 months back, car made a left in front of me while I was going 20+mph. Bright sunny afternoon and straight road but he claimed he didn't see me. My injuries were nowhere near as bad as yours - massive bruising and swelling, nasty cut on my leg from where top tube stabbed it. Now I have some herniated discs in neck and lower back which fortunately don't bother me too much. Also messed up both my rotator cuffs so range of motion is still limited.

For the first few weeks, I was just angry. The guy stopped (likely because a good Samaritan literally blocked him in to prevent him from leaving) but all he kept saying was "I didn't see you" and trying to make excuses for his negligence. He was really focused on how bad he felt while I was the one bleeding on the ground. Then afterwards, he dodged his own insurance company for some reason so they delayed accepting liability. Had some flashbacks during that time wondering if I could have done anything differently - no way I could have stopped or avoided him. Eventually that all passed and I view it as a lesson now.

Then you just sort of naturally move on. I've gotten a new bike and am riding it a bit now on roads. Staying on the quieter back roads but at least I'm out there. I've also kept my old frame as a reminder to be careful - it's in 3 pieces.

Unfortunately, my leg snapped my top tube on impact and then it drove into my quad right above the knee. The ER cleaned it up the best they could but a lot of small carbon fiber pieces are still in there. Some of it came out while the wound healed and drained but I can still see it under the skin. Every once in a while, a small thread will come out. So I guess that's going to be a reminder for a while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got hit a few years ago, and broke some bones pretty well. It seems like a good thing to memorialize at the time, but I honestly am glad that I didn’t. It’s not something I want to think an out when I see my bike or be reminded of regularly. This is from someone who had no mental hurdles to get over to return to riding(likely because I was concussed enough to not remember anything). If you do have mental reservations about riding, I don’t think that memorializing it will help. If this makes you decide to ride less or not ride anymore, you probably won’t want that reminder either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope you recuperate and rehab well @ASU_GT. Kat Matthews got 'crushed' in Texas last September, 10 days from Kona: similar collision it sounds like (20+mph and left turning SMIDSY) and results (fractured vertebrae, base of skull, hip, sternum, ribs, lung, half face). Crushed episode 1 here:
and think episode 2 due sometime this month. From Instas 5 months on seems mended and back thrashing the training. Memorialising - don't know.
My worst (fast downhill front wheel blow, air and road ambulance arguing where to take me is the first thing I remember after the bang/expletive moment) means I'm just a tad more mature (than my previous self) on sketchy downhills.
One bonus of 'nothing I could do' is that you can banish any guilt(riding skill fail) element and just ride as hard as your gradually mending/mended body allows.
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Mar 7, 23 9:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great work getting yourself back to where you are.

In my last 20 years as a coach, it as unfortunutly happen to me too often. 4 or 5 atheltes of my athletes suffering serious accident (head trauma, broken pelvis, etc)

I will say that for mostly all of them, the reaction and the strategy we took after discusssion is focus on the recovery, tunnel vision approach to what we can do today to help you get better and bring you back to the game. We did limited processing of the accident in mostly all the cases.

For exemple, when Sika Henry called me from the hospital, it was scary and i just dont know how i could have done some resoning of the accident...

But a few months later came back to become the first african american pro triathlete in USA. We still talk about the crash but i just dont know how far we have process this..... it s very strange. i tld her she can process it when she retired but for now...if you think too much about it...you will never get back on a bike.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think suppressing it is the worst thing you can do. Maybe you don't need therapy, but you need to at least acknowledge that it's affected you (physically for sure).

"Stuffing it down" isn't going to help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Four years ago, I was in a serious bike vs. deer accident that left me with 10 broken bones, plates, and screws. I spent 9 nights in the hospital and recovery was unpleasant. I "celebrate" every anniversary of my accident by doing something physically difficult. A physical test.

I am now 63 and I rarely ride outdoors anymore. Just too dangerous. I do sill do an occasional race. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Injuries after being hit by a car: suppress, neutral or embrace [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Just move on. The past is the past relative to anything in life. You can only affect the present....lots of good days in the present makes for an awesome future....but just focus on now. The past is done. Got run over a bus in 2018. No point having that hold me back. It is what it is, impairments and psychological scars and all.

Most respectfully Dev, you say "no point having that hold me back." What's so wrong with learning from mistakes. So many of us have been severely injured riding. I used to ride with a small group on a trail closed to vehicular traffic. At some point, more than half of us left that trail in an ambulance. I now do the vast majority of my riding indoors. You might say my fear of serious injury is holding me back, and you would be right. But I see it as learning from mistakes. It is a mathematical certainty that if you ride outside long enough, you will crash and die. Just a fact.
Quote Reply
Re: Injuries after being hit by a car: suppress, neutral or embrace [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
. It is a mathematical certainty that if you ride outside long enough, you will crash and die. Just a fact.

While i understand what you mean, you took the decision to not do something that you love (riding outside). No one can judge you for your decision. they are yours and you have good reason for them. But your last sentance is over the top in my opinion as it remain most people will never be involved in a car/cyclist injury in there lifetime of riding.

I been hit by a car and while my injury were not as serious as some of those mention here, i didnt stop riding. But i sure modified my behavior, ride gravel a lot more or ride different less busy road but this will never stop me from riding outside. Everything we do in life can kill us....but we keep living. Learning from your mistake would mean you made a mistake to start with. riding on a road isnt a mistake. the driver of a car perhaps made a mistake. in this sence, there is very little to learn other then managing risk.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Injuries after being hit by a car: suppress, neutral or embrace [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
...lots of good days in the present makes for an awesome future....

Alternatively, a hundred bad days make a hundred good stories, as someone said, somewhere

In all my time riding my bikes around Philly, either on my own or with some bike messenger types, was fortunate to have never been struck violently as that; pinched into the curb, squeezed into a parked car, very nearly doored a few times, those sort of incidents - nothing requiring a hospital or plastic wristband

I just dusted myself off, screamed a little, and went on my way

If D'Kid & I are walking the Old Neighborhood, I might say "Did I ever tell you about the time ...???" and make sure I get an "Allegedly" in there, as I could be making the whole thing up

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Injuries after being hit by a car: suppress, neutral or embrace [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
imsparticus wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
. It is a mathematical certainty that if you ride outside long enough, you will crash and die. Just a fact.

While i understand what you mean, you took the decision to not do something that you love (riding outside). No one can judge you for your decision. they are yours and you have good reason for them. But your last sentance is over the top in my opinion as it remain most people will never be involved in a car/cyclist injury in there lifetime of riding.

I been hit by a car and while my injury were not as serious as some of those mention here, i didnt stop riding. But i sure modified my behavior, ride gravel a lot more or ride different less busy road but this will never stop me from riding outside. Everything we do in life can kill us....but we keep living. Learning from your mistake would mean you made a mistake to start with. riding on a road isnt a mistake. the driver of a car perhaps made a mistake. in this sence, there is very little to learn other then managing risk.

I don't disagree with most of what you say. But I think a slight majority of people who race and train for long distance triathlons over their lifetime (not one-and-done folks) will get injured riding. I have had a few crashes which resulted in injuries--although only one was serious. I would love for Slowman to run a poll.

And another post just today. https://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../?page=unread#unread
Last edited by: imsparticus: Mar 7, 23 14:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 6 years and 6 months post "the big one." I ran into the side of a truck that made a left turn on a red as I was going straight through the intersection @ 30mph. Broke a wrist, damaged AC joint, tore 3 ligaments in my knee plus a shattered fibular head.

This summer is going to be my first time riding over 100 miles in a ride since that accident, my life is changed forever, my knee aches daily, that is plenty of a memory to carry from the accident.

First, a pip claim on your car insurance, in my state, that covers the first $20,000 in medical which does not carry a subrogation lien like your health insurance does.

Next, hire an attorney, your rehab is going to take months of work, your long term health is still unknown.

Lastly, find an excellent physical therapist, not a good one, but an excellent one. The surgeon just has to fix the mechanical stuff. Your PT is going to get you actually working well, and an excellent one will know when to push you mentally and physically. I had a great surgeon, but my PT really is the one that made my recovery possible. Without her pushing me, "You will have a limp for the rest of your life."

Finally, don't post any details of the incident until your case is closed, seriously, don't think of it as a money grab, you should be compensated for the loss of joy and impact on your quality of life, no different than you would expect from your employer.

Finally finally, I did get a tattoo of Sisyphus, a reminder to keep grinding (Plus I kind of feel like I cheated death...)

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Injuries after being hit by a car: suppress, neutral or embrace [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Most respectfully Dev, you say "no point having that hold me back." What's so wrong with learning from mistakes. So many of us have been severely injured riding. I used to ride with a small group on a trail closed to vehicular traffic. At some point, more than half of us left that trail in an ambulance. I now do the vast majority of my riding indoors. You might say my fear of serious injury is holding me back, and you would be right. But I see it as learning from mistakes. It is a mathematical certainty that if you ride outside long enough, you will crash and die. Just a fact.

OK OK...I agree that the more we ride outside the more we expose ourselves to risks associated with crashing, but it is not a fact that we will crash and die. I have literally ridden for 50 years now, and only had two serious crashes. Most of my crashes were in years zero to 8 of riding then nothing for 30 years and two in the last 12. It could easily be zero in the last 42 years too, and the next 30 could be zero or 60 crashes. But it is not a fact we will die from riding too much, but 100 percent a fact we will die just from living and being born (someone curse our parents for bringing us into this world and destining us to death and taxes)

In any case incidence of crashing and injury on any road at any time is a predetermined probability. You can be on "this patch of road" from 3-3:15 pm on Friday the 13th of July (insert year) and you and I will have the same probability of getting hit. That's constant. The more we ride, we just expose ourselves to that probability more often, but the probability at that instant does not increase....we just exposed ourselves to more instances of the probability, but it does not go up at 3:16 pm because it was riding from 3-3:15. I could be in bed from 3-3:15 or riding from 3-3:15 but my odds of getting hurt at 3:16 are identical regardless of what I did previously. It is not based on how much I rode before that moment (there is no cross correlation between previous time blocks and this one...each one is a new risk block).

In any case, we will likely go in circles about riding more resulting in eventual death. Living more in the basement also results in eventual death (we all die). So it is an individual choice in what we choose to do for the rest of life. In previous years, I would XC ski in all kinds of crazy dangerous conditions on technical trails etc etc. In probably around 40,000km of XC skiing, I have broken one ankle. So really my personal stats bear out that this is a low risk activity going down single track hills at 60kph in the forest, but I no longer like the concept of recovery from falls, so I restrict my XC skiing to really benign courses. I only bike out roads with smooth tarmac with lots of bail out room and I try to ride when there is less traffic (all in an effort to put the stats of catastrophy in my favour). But yes, there is risk and it is perfectly OK to not want to take those risks AT ALL. I choose to continue to take those risks....at 70.3 Worlds I was descending back into St. George at 75kph, when I got passed by a 25 year old probably going around 90kph....my instinct was to race and ride the top tube, because "its a race and every second is a second saved"....but who was I fooling, because as soon at T2 came, I would barely be shuffling at 6 min per km, making a 10 second savings on the descent worthless. For a moment, my instinct said, "it's a race and it is on"...then my brain kicked in and said, "you have to get back to work and family on Monday, and you no longer race for position, just for social and enjoyment, so back it waaaay off". So I get where you are coming from, but is this "learning" or is it simply, "the reward does not exceed the perceived risk and perceived probability of a bad outcome".

I personally don't ride in the rain anymore other than if it happens in a race. I know how to ride in the rain and don't need to practice it anymore and deal with the lack of enjoyment and also additional risk....no need to add a "risk exposure block" to my like...basement and rouvy is plenty fine.

I think learning from crashes in terms of biking handling skills and also assessing risk profiles of riding in certain times and scenarios are useful learning exercises. How that changes your personal riding, that's up to you, but regardless, it does not really matter what any of our crashes were, we have to move into the future putting the crashes behind. Learning from them moving to the future is good. Limiting what we do IF we want to do things because of fear of a bad outcome is a personal choice. Sounds like the OP wants to keep riding outside, so in that case, I say, "move on and put it in the rear view mirror...control the present, don't be limited by the past" (if you don't want to be limited)

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have an infinite number of monkeys typing on an infinite number of typewriters for an infinite amount of time, then they would eventually type every possible combination of letters, including every great work. It was in that spirit that I said, if you ride long enough, you will eventually crash and die.

It seems there are an awful lot of us that ended up in the hospital after a bike crash. I can’t say that about running, swimming, or any of the other activities I engage in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would 1: stop posting about it 2: seek legal counsel 3: get any and all physical/mental healthcare that you need 4: double check that you are legally represented and protected 5: let the lawyers settle/fight for you 6: once settled and you’ve accepted the events, learn to embrace it and represent the community. If you can speak out and be an advocate for change to protect all of us, and turn a shit event into a potentially positive contribution to society.

Edit: I’ve lost and had too many loved ones and friends go through this. I can’t stress enough how important it is to protect yourself and your family. Especially if any of your injuries could potentially lead to future troubles, pains, etc.
Last edited by: Ohio_Roadie: Mar 7, 23 17:43
Quote Reply

Prev Next