Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Infinit Nutrition Users
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone! I am just starting to experiment with Infinit nutrition and did the whole phone consult with them and purchased a custom blend for both the bike and a different one for the run. In the past I would just live off the course with gatorade and gel. How do y'all have your set ups on the bike and how do you carry it for the run? How many bottles on the bike (and do you stop at special needs)? Do you carry a flask or two running for 70.3/140.6 etc? I would like to not stop at special needs if that is possible. So, thanks for any insight.

--
Scott.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Infinit Nutrition Users [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 70.3 approach: I carry two double-density 24 oz. bottles of Infinit and one BTA bottle of just water. Then, I drink from the Infinit bottles and rinse them down with BTA water. I aim to drink all three bottles by the end of the bike with no refills on the course. However, if it is hot out, I might grab course water to refill the BTA water bottle during the ride.

I have one done runs when it was pretty warm... in the 80s. So, I tend to drink a little at every run water station to try to keep cool and hydrated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Half - Single 3 hour bottle (6 scoops) in BTA, start with a bottle of water, replace on course as needed (twice usually). If you concentrate with infinit, you really need to follow up every Infinit drink with some water...

Full - Last one I did I used two 2 hour bottles on the bike, and stashed another 2 hour bottle in SN which I stopped for. Previously I had done two 3 hour bottles but found I preferred the 2 hour mix for IM

Oly - half bottle of regular strength BTA

Run - Tried it in my first IM, by that time I was so sick of it (would have been sick of anything to be honest) so tossed the bottle and lived off the course, which is what I do now for runs regardless of distance
Quote Reply
Re: Infinit Nutrition Users [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
tossed the bottle and lived off the course, which is what I do now for runs regardless of distance

Tbh, that is what I see myself doing. I got caught up in the moment with the person on the phone though. "Do you want a run blend?" "Heck yeah!!!" Then I was like, "I am never going to use that." Oh well. Thanks for info!!!

Keep em coming!!!

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Half - Single 3 hour bottle (6 scoops) in BTA, start with a bottle of water, replace on course as needed (twice usually). If you concentrate with infinit, you really need to follow up every Infinit drink with some water...

Full - Last one I did I used two 2 hour bottles on the bike, and stashed another 2 hour bottle in SN which I stopped for. Previously I had done two 3 hour bottles but found I preferred the 2 hour mix for IM

Oly - half bottle of regular strength BTA

Run - Tried it in my first IM, by that time I was so sick of it (would have been sick of anything to be honest) so tossed the bottle and lived off the course, which is what I do now for runs regardless of distance

Same here for me except that I use 2 bottles with 6 scoops each for the bike, one on the frame and one in a cage behind my seat. I wash it down with water from a BTA bottle, I drink as much of that as I can in between aid stations and then refill. I don't like running while carrying anything extra so I just live off the course for the run, it's kind of nice to take something different in than you have for the previous 5-6hrs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am also wary of carrying my calorie nutrition in a BTS cage, even though my regular bike bottles stay in the gorilla cage pretty well, if it's a bumpy road... Water you can get at the next aid station, Infinit you'd have to stop.

Last year at IM Coz I had a 2 hour mix in the BTA, a two hour mix in a BTS bottle, and then water in the other BTS cage. Plan was to fill up the BTA with the second two hour bottle, but one lap through town hit a few bumps and that bottle went flying. Had to go back and get it, major buzzkill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
XLAB Torpedo with 2-4 Scoops of Infinit Go Far and a bottle behind the saddle with 2 scoops of Go Far.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70.3 - One concentrated aero bottle on the bike, nothing on the run.

140.6 - One concentrated aero bottle on the bike, a 2nd in SN (where I toss the 1st bottle). On the run, a much less concentrated mix in a hand bottle. Just be warned that even if you dial back the protein in the mix, it can get a bit frothy after bouncing around on the run.

For my first 140.6, I carried my 2nd concentrated bottle on the bike in a BTS cage.

As for stopping at SN, I hear ya. SN was a bit slower at IMLou (was stopped for maybe 15-20s), but very fast at IMChoo (was stopped for maybe 5s).

EDIT: I'll add that I put about 800 calories in each bottle (XLAB Aero TT) with no problems. But as stated above, at that concentration, you'll want to chase it with water. I keep water in my BTA and refill at the aid stations.
Last edited by: mbwallis: May 4, 17 12:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70.3......3 bottles on my bike. If it's not hot, I won't stop at aid station. If it is hot, I'll stop and drink what I can in the zone and toss.

My first full will be IMLOU in Oct. I plan to do the same thing and pick up 3 more bottles at SN. I pretty much have an iron stomach. In a worst-case scenario, I'm fairly certain I can live off the course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I buy the Go Far but will probably pick up some Speed for the run. I tried that and really liked it.

Olympic = 1 bottle 2 scoops
Half = 2 bottles 2 scoops and pick up a water around halfway. BTA and BTS throw-away gatorade bottles.
Full = 4 bottles. BTA throw-away (gatorade bottles) 2 scoops and BTS throw away 2 scoops, pick up same at Special needs. Grab water when needed.

Tried 4 scoops but stomach didn't like it.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I understand you have a run mix already, Infinit's Napalm has been my ticket for the run portion. No way I'm running competitively while carrying that much extra fluid/weight. One of those small flasks from Hammer can hold several hundred calories worth of Napalm. It stayed very liquid-like instead of being thicker like most gels. I use up to 500-600 calories in a 5oz Hammer Flask and it flows every bit as well as water. For my one IM it was nice having something I knew my stomach would like for the first half of the run. I had another in special needs, but ended up 'living off the course' more than I would have guessed because my stomach felt really good. Napalm has worked well for *most* of my run calories and then grabbing a cup or two of water at most aid stations depending on how hot it was. You get to carry the calories/drink you're used to with very little weight penalty.

After writing all this, I went back to hyperlink Napalm and don't see it anywhere. I knew Tripwire was available, but didn't think it was entirely replacing Napalm. I asked Infinit's customer service and they said it's the "new" Napalm with a much stronger electrolyte flavor. I'll grab some of that as I felt the electrolyte profile could have been stronger. I'll stick with my trusty grape. Tripwire link here.
Quote Reply
Re: Infinit Nutrition Users [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So is that kind of PIA to drink from a concentrated bottle and then drink water? Every time you take a sip of something you have to "fumble" for two bottles. I am seeing a lot you guys and gals are doing that, so I guess the question is posed to everyone.

My main motivation for the change from Gatorade endurance is that it doesn't have enough sodium and I'm an incredibly salty sweater and muscle cramper in the later half of the marathon. So I'm experimenting with some higher sodium products.

We shall see.

Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not really. Reach for the Infinit bottle on the downtube, then a drink from the BTA straw. Once every 10-15 mins.
Last edited by: mbwallis: May 5, 17 7:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone use a concentrated Infinit bottle to refill a BTA (Xlabs Versa or similar)? It seems most are saying they swig directly from concentrated bottle and then chase with water. I would think (if you use a refillable system) it might be easier and guarantee a more accurate water/mix ratio to use a 1/2 or 1/3 of the concentrate bottle and then top off BTA with water. Is the obvious reason most say they swig direct because they don't use refill system or is there something else?
Quote Reply
Re: Infinit Nutrition Users [DDMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DDMike wrote:
Does anyone use a concentrated Infinit bottle to refill a BTA (Xlabs Versa or similar)? It seems most are saying they swig directly from concentrated bottle and then chase with water. I would think (if you use a refillable system) it might be easier and guarantee a more accurate water/mix ratio to use a 1/2 or 1/3 of the concentrate bottle and then top off BTA with water. Is the obvious reason most say they swig direct because they don't use refill system or is there something else?

I just don't like refilling bottles mid-race into a BTA bottle while riding, and I don't want to have to think about how far down the BTA is, when to add water. What you are saying makes sense, I just think it's a little more work to do it that way. Is it practically different than the water chaser? Maybe not...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rsmoylan wrote:
So is that kind of PIA to drink from a concentrated bottle and then drink water? Every time you take a sip of something you have to "fumble" for two bottles. I am seeing a lot you guys and gals are doing that, so I guess the question is posed to everyone.

My main motivation for the change from Gatorade endurance is that it doesn't have enough sodium and I'm an incredibly salty sweater and muscle cramper in the later half of the marathon. So I'm experimenting with some higher sodium products.

We shall see.

On a flat course with good roads, I can reach back with one arm and "stay in aero" (air quotes as it kinda isn't) for the water bottle, but this is one reason I am probably ditching the frame torhans flat kit and the BTS and just going with a bottle on the downtube. That's very easy to do the water chaser.

But tbh I am looking at next year trying something like UCAN both for less sugar and to move away from the need to take two swigs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for the reply on direct / refill. Figured it basically came down to preference.

funny, but I'm thinking the same thing about VR bottle. currently use Torhans VR for a flat kit and keep a BTS delta... think I'm going to put flat kit in BTS cage (Pod or gear box) and go to bottle on DT for hydration/cals. seems easier and gives more flexibility... plus i'm sure me sitting up to grab/replace BTS is off-setting the aero advantage. thinking keep it simple for long course.
Quote Reply
Re: Infinit Nutrition Users [DDMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is funny. Glad to know I am not alone :) It looks good, but its a PITA when you get right down to it.

I am always primarily worried about losing the BTS bottle. I did Chattanooga 70.3 last year and there are some covered but bumpy train tracks near the end. The BTS bottles were fine, but the TORHANS popped off! WTF? LOL I use a piece of black tape to make sure it stays down now
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:

Why not do a two hour BTS and one scoop in your BTA and once the BTA is out refil the BTA with on course water and then sip on the BTS?

Just curious what your thoughts are. I am just starting to use infinit and 70.3. I was thinking this might be an efficient way for the 900cal intake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My KISS method:
-Stage 3 bottles on the bike (BTA, Aero, BTS) for 70.3
-Stash 3 more in SN for 140.6
-Drink one per hour and ditch the bottle
-Grab supplemental water on course for a quick drink and shower
-Think about other things while racing

Edit: live off the course on the run.

YMMV,

Scott
Last edited by: GreatScott: May 4, 17 21:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Half: Xlab torpedo BTA with regular strength and one aero bottle double strength on bike. Drink BTA first then squirt 1/2 of aero bottle into BTA and top with water at aid station, rinse repeat.

Full: xlab torpedo BTA with regular strength but now bottle with 4x strength on bike. Mark 4x bottle with sharpie with lines for each 1/4. Drink BTA, then 1/4 concentrated bottle into it and top with water at aid station. Repeat each hour. Special needs has another concentrated bottle as backup just in case I drop nutrition on course.
Quote Reply
Re: Infinit Nutrition Users [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the bike I do the same as Scott does - then all I have to do is drink. My edit would be that I refill my BTA with the other 2 bottles then toss them.

I have done the run carrying a bottle of Infinit Run, it's a different flavour so I didn't get tired of the flavour, but I super irritated having to carry a bottle. I had done it in training on a long run to trial, but it was way more irritating during a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Infinit Nutrition Users [HonestYP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HonestYP wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

Why not do a two hour BTS and one scoop in your BTA and once the BTA is out refil the BTA with on course water and then sip on the BTS?

Just curious what your thoughts are. I am just starting to use infinit and 70.3. I was thinking this might be an efficient way for the 900cal intake.

Thought process is generally i don't want the primary calories behind me where a big bump can send the bottle flying, leaving me with a choice of stopping or switching to the course. I use gorilla cages and the bottles stay put most of the time but I have launched a couple here or there, including at an IM. I also just don't like mixing in the versa bottle while riding. I have to sit up, break aero, divert attn from the road etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
HonestYP wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

Thought process is generally i don't want the primary calories behind me where a big bump can send the bottle flying, leaving me with a choice of stopping or switching to the course. I use gorilla cages and the bottles stay put most of the time but I have launched a couple here or there, including at an IM. I also just don't like mixing in the versa bottle while riding. I have to sit up, break aero, divert attn from the road etc.

I totally understand. I have a gorilla BTS as well and have never launched anything, fingers crossed, knock on wood. Now that I say that I am going to lose every other bottle I put back there. Thank for the input
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have run a standard bottle with Gatorade endurance BTA, a standard bottle on the frame (non-ST approved) and BTS. Looks like the xlab torpedo system may be the way to go if I want to refill with the BTA with either water or Infinit. Also the aero bottle for the frame looks interesting. So The xlab BTA, aero bottle on the frame and a BTS bottle look like a starting point for me. Thanks everyone for the information. Would love to hear more solutions too!!!

--
Scott.

Team Zoot
Quote Reply

Prev Next