Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Inertia, heavy wheels, Hour record and Triathlon
Quote | Reply
I was doing some reading (from time to time I have been known to read something other than this forum) and noticed a few things - granted, these are selective recollections, but thy all struck me as interesting.

In 2005, The Disco team started using the new Bontrager areola (or something like that). It's a carbon rim with a carbon faring and the set weighs 1600 grams. The quote I read said something to the effect that the team liked these wheels for long rolling courses because of the "flywheel effect". They have abandoned the Bontrager deep carbon Zipp knockoff.

I was at the SF GP the other day, and couldn't help but notice that a bunch of the Mavic sponsored riders were all on the Cosmic Carbone's, and Hincapie was riding the Areolas. That course is 90% downhill, flat
or rolling...

Last night I was flipping through VeloNews and read the report on the recent hour record being set - the bike had a 7lb rear wheel. It was slow to spin up, but the weight on the rim kept the wheel moving - flywheel effect.

Then I started thinking about the types of races that I do. Vineman, Coeur d'Alene, local spints and World's Toughest. One climbing race per year - not even doing that one in 2006, so next year there will be no big climbing races.

All of this being said, can it really make sense to go for a heavier wheel in most triathlons to get the flywheel effect? Is that something that we, as triathletes, should consider? Would an aluminim clad Hed Alps actually be faster than the all carbon 404 that I am riding?
Quote Reply
Re: Inertia, heavy wheels, Hour record and Triathlon [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the question may have been where to put the "extra" weight required to get up to a UCI minimum weight for the total bike. I think all things being equal, lighter would be faster ... but if you have to have extra weight (above what you need for the structural integrity and safe operation of the bike) having it in the wheel is the best place to have it for flat racing.

-------------
"Knowledge is good" - Emil Faber
Quote Reply
Re: Inertia, heavy wheels, Hour record and Triathlon [Strider124] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sosenka's bike weighed 19.8 lbs - far above the UCI limit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
In 2005, The Disco team started using the new Bontrager areola
Yeah, I'm sure that's what you thought their new wheels were called...
Quote Reply
Re: Inertia, heavy wheels, Hour record and Triathlon [MojojojoMasterG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder what kind of nipples they used on the spokes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I encourage everyone in my age group to get really heavy wheels.

Check out the latest issue of CycleSport mag. There's a photo layout of Lance's Disco Trek TT bike, complete with Bontrager stickered Zipp disk. I guess Lance doesn't much believe in that theory either.
Quote Reply
Re: Inertia, heavy wheels, Hour record and Triathlon [Wolfwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On hot days they are red, but for winter rides they are purple and very stiff...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"That course is 90% downhill, flat or rolling..."

How the hell do you get back to the top, if 90% of the time is downhill!! : )

If its a loop course....hopefully all things are equal so you get back to the same elevation that you started from : )

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Inertia, heavy wheels, Hour record and Triathlon [zipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The climbs are short, but with 20% grades...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW....I'm still testing the new HED3C vs the HED3. The rotational weight is far different with each wheel due to the rim.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Inertia, heavy wheels, Hour record and Triathlon [Strider124] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
but if you have to have extra weight (above what you need for the structural integrity and safe operation of the bike) having it in the wheel is the best place to have it for flat racing.

Although I'm not much of a physics geek, I think that weight in the wheel to acheive such effect would be more beneficial in the rim as opposed to the hub. Two wheels of the same weight, the one with more weight/mass in the rim will rotate longer than the one with more weight/mass in the hub. I pretty sure. Geez, it's been a long time since high school physics.

Chris

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Sosenka's bike weighed 19.8 lbs - far above the UCI limit.

I think this makes sense for the hour record where a fixed gear is used on the track. Since coasting is not possible, it also means that the inertia is pushing you through the dead spot of the pedal stroke. Kind of like rotor cranks would simlulate. I'm not sure if the benefit would be 100% the same in a freewheel situation. (maybe?) You also have no hills to worry about. 100% flat if you stay on the inside line of the track.

I'd not want to be dragging all of that extra rotational weight around on any significant climbs. It probably would hurt less on minor rollers, but cost you on anything more. Probably not something truly beneficial on the open road.
Quote Reply