Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Independent Wind Tunnel Testing....ok I'll do it! [chrisyu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
I prefer testing 100Hz+ due to the intense vortex shedding that occurs off of the tubes at yaw above 10 degrees.

This was what I was wondering about. Your preference makes sense given the typical Strouhal number for shedding cylinders (of bicycle tube size and at bicycle speeds).

Yes -- with vortex freq. between 10 and 100 (for an entire bike/rider system; 10^3 off of various tube sections), we'd of course want to run sampling faster than that. Chris, you're basing this off of cylinder Strouhal numbers around 0.18-0.20 for low Re cylinders, correct?

Note that testing at these speeds is not entirely imperative as the high freq. vortecies do not often generate measurable drag changes due to the mechanics of how the balance measures drag. At yaw, we're generally measuring a tunnel axis drag component and a tunnel axis side force component (each through 1-2 load cells). The computational error in correcting the drag data to body axis is higher than the load changes due to the higher freq. vortecies. And when a rider is on the bike the load measurement is cyclical based upon cadence and body shifting, not activity in vortex streets.

In Reply To:
Also, so everyone knows, the A2 tunnel doesn't do "sweeps" of yaw angles at this point. They move the balance, let the wind settle to a steady state condition, then begin gathering data.

Sorry, I used the term "sweep" loosely...I actually meant what you are referring to above. From the pictures, it looks like the entire setup is on an electronic turntable. Is the typically coarse sampling resolution in yaw (usually every 5 deg) due to practical concerns with tunnel time, or some other technical reason?

Right now, the A2 tunnel is not automated. The model is physically moved and positioned for each yaw test. They are looking to put in an actuator to automate this later this year as Dave has mentioned in his post.

Yes, more yaw points would be ideal but time and money are the constraints. To be honest though, for comparison purposes, the extra yaw data just fills in the graph. In most cases you can clearly see the key stall angles for the bikes. When we test, we'll do our general 5 degree points (+ and - yaw) and then check out the interesting areas (usually 7.5 degrees up to 12.5 degrees -- for the case with the Shiv, 12.5-17.5 degrees were really interesting as flow was still attached on many parts of the bike we haven't been able to achieve with other designs).

In Reply To:
The data does not change based upon the direction you change yaw angles (i.e. negative to positive yaw or positive to negative yaw).

This is actually pretty interesting. I wonder if this is due to either 1) nothing has fully/catastrophically separated at the max tested yaw, or 2) the yaw sampling resolution is too low (for an airfoil that stalls at eg; 20 deg AoA, I have seen hysteresis confined to above 15deg AoA on the back sweep). If neither the above is happening, then something else interesting is going on...

If you were to automate the sweep and constantly change the "yaw angle of attack" (if you will), then direction definitely matters. You get some pressure bubbles that form, pop, and reform on the downwind side of each tube as your change yaw. I have yet to hear of or see a wind tunnel that does a constant speed yaw sweep on a bike. I've been looking for a test of this for years but haven't been able to do it anywhere. This is how airplane wings and airfoils are tested at tunnels -- why can't we do it with bikes??

But, we have done point by point sweeps at a bunch of tunnels and there generally is hysteresis, sometimes quite large above 10 deg. This is interesting from an academic sense, but studying this to show data for an aero shootout only opens up more questions. I'll be the first to admit to the aerodynamics community that bicycle aero testing has a long way to go, but we are at a point where we can identify repeatable aerodynamic performance coefficients that line up well with real world data. Yaw is the next big frontier to accurately model what happens in the real world and how we can appropriately test. Gusts? Show me a wind tunnel test that can explain how an 808 handles in gusty 40 mph winds and I'll be a very interested listener.

Chris -- you know this stuff clean. We really need to have a talk in person. Sounds like you've been doing this stuff for years. Thanks for the great contributions to these forums.

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply
Re: Independent Wind Tunnel Testing....ok I'll do it! [Dave Luscan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Mark, thanks for your expertise here. And spot on as to how A2 tests yaw. I will be holding off my testing until they update the tunnel mechanism to provide faster yaw testing, as well as possible yaw sweeps. Scheduled for sometime Q1 of 2010.

Dave
Cool -- I chatted with Mike Giraud about this on Thursday and we both agreed it made sense to hold off until the new automated system is running. We're pretty stoked about the upgrades.

Thanks to everyone on these conversations. This is where progress in the bike design world happens -- through conversations like this. I look forward to the first Cycling Aerodynamics Symposium we'll have to pull together sometime in the future.

Cheers,

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Re: Independent Wind Tunnel Testing....ok I'll do it! [Dave Luscan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck keeping the information private.
Quote Reply
Re: Independent Wind Tunnel Testing....ok I'll do it! [Learn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your helpful contirbutions as always Matt. I realize that protecting the data after the fact presents some challenges. I do imagine this can happen, which begs the question... Can you do it? ;>)

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Independent Wind Tunnel Testing....ok I'll do it! [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yes -- with vortex freq. between 10 and 100 (for an entire bike/rider system; 10^3 off of various tube sections), we'd of course want to run sampling faster than that. Chris, you're basing this off of cylinder Strouhal numbers around 0.18-0.20 for low Re cylinders, correct?

Note that testing at these speeds is not entirely imperative as the high freq. vortecies do not often generate measurable drag changes due to the mechanics of how the balance measures drag. At yaw, we're generally measuring a tunnel axis drag component and a tunnel axis side force component (each through 1-2 load cells). The computational error in correcting the drag data to body axis is higher than the load changes due to the higher freq. vortecies. And when a rider is on the bike the load measurement is cyclical based upon cadence and body shifting, not activity in vortex streets.
Correct, that's the St range I was thinking of (and if I remember correctly, it stays amazingly constant over broad Re). Yes, it makes a lot of sense that these effects may be academically interesting but probably have relatively little influence in the grand scheme. Then again, you never know what small physical phenomenon (once discovered) can be harnessed to produce a much larger effect (think vortices on a flapping insect wing). Of course this is all limited by what is practical....not very much in consumer bicycles as you have mentioned before. We need to get the military interested in fast bicycles....then wait for the gov't grants to roll in =P. I also agree that the next "big thing" in testing is having the ability to study dynamic situations - both in terms of drag performance and in handling as you suggest. The planned upgrades to A2 sound like an exciting first step in this direction.

In Reply To:
then check out the interesting areas (usually 7.5 degrees up to 12.5 degrees -- for the case with the Shiv, 12.5-17.5 degrees were really interesting as flow was still attached on many parts of the bike we haven't been able to achieve with other designs).

If this is actually the case (and I have no reason to believe otherwise), it needs to be underscored how impressive this really is. To delay significant separation for ~5 deg is huge, especially given the design constraints in making a bicycle.

In Reply To:
We really need to have a talk in person.

Definitely. Just give me a holler whenever.

Chris

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are several options but my consulting is not free since it's what I do for a living. You can PM me and I can set up an arrangement to detail some options to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Independent Wind Tunnel Testing....ok I'll do it! [Learn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There are several options but my consulting is not free since it's what I do for a living.

Are you taking notes MITaerobike? ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are $ estimates?
Quote Reply
Re: Independent Wind Tunnel Testing....ok I'll do it! [yotoma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I expect to pocket somewhere in the low 7 figures. ;>)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry to bump an old thread, but any update on this endeavor?

Hungry for tri!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Probably won't test bikes like the Ceepo Venom as buyers of those are not primarily interested in aerodynamics, IMO.

Maybe they're not interested in aerodynamics because they KNOW that they can choose most any bike on that list and as long as they get one that fits them very well it won't be the bike that determines how fast they are. It will be 1) how hard they push the pedals, 2) their position on the bike and 3) how well they execute the race. The differences in bike aerodynamics on basically all of the top bikes is insignificant.

Sorry if I sound completely negative and harsh but I have zero interest in this data. I think it's mostly a complete waste of time. Where people should be spending their time and money is on improving their position on their current bike. Hell, they'll probably be faster if they spend their time going on a proper diet and lose something like 5 lbs. Most importantly, spend time and money that help you focus on the 3 things above.

Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Independent Wind Tunnel Testing....ok I'll do it! [lakerfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely agreed. I realize that this place isn't likely actually taking away from anyone's training time, but honestly the amount of mental effort the average AG'er ptus into things like aerodynamics and equipment is much better spent thinking about training and race execution. People like to spend money, and that's fine, it's what keeps the economy going - but if someone's true goal is to get faster, there are WAY bigger fish to fry.
Quote Reply
Re: Independent Wind Tunnel Testing....ok I'll do it! [lakerfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I totally agree with your statements regarding the vast majority of age groupers. But some of the detailed oriented people are trying to ring out every bit of performance from our equipment choices. If I can save 45s/40k just from switching frames that could be a slot/no slot choice for me. Thus I am interested in the data. This is low hanging (expensive) fruit IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Independent Wind Tunnel Testing....ok I'll do it! [gbot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Absolutely agreed. I realize that this place isn't likely actually taking away from anyone's training time, but honestly the amount of mental effort the average AG'er ptus into things like aerodynamics and equipment is much better spent thinking about training and race execution. People like to spend money, and that's fine, it's what keeps the economy going - but if someone's true goal is to get faster, there are WAY bigger fish to fry.

Yes and no. Look at the flailing cables at your next triathlon. They likely wont be neat and tidy even on a P3C. This is an example of people spending big cash but not thinking of aero details.

To me, winter time is aerogeek time to establish the vehicle my trained body will be riding this spring/summer.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Independent Wind Tunnel Testing....ok I'll do it! [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I totally agree with your statements regarding the vast majority of age groupers. But some of the detailed oriented people are trying to ring out every bit of performance from our equipment choices. If I can save 45s/40k just from switching frames that could be a slot/no slot choice for me. Thus I am interested in the data. This is low hanging (expensive) fruit IMO.

I hear what you're saying as I obviously took that into consideration when I made my post. However, I believe people will discover that frame aerodynamics will vary depending on rider position. So, what you think might be the fastest frame via wind tunnel testing (where you were not a participant), is not the fastest frame for you. The fastest frame for you will be dependent on your position on that specific bike. Hence my statement applies to the typical AGer and the detail-oriented one too. Sometimes the problem with certain detail-oriented people is that they're focusing on the wrong details.

Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bump... any update?
Quote Reply
Re: Independent Wind Tunnel Testing....ok I'll do it! [eljamoquio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in a holding pattern on this. Folder with test protocols, contact info etc sits on my desk getting dusty (with a few others). The multiple logistical challenges are surmountable, time and $$ not so sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blowing the dust off this thread! Did this ever happen???

If not, is there anywhere one can find independent aerodynamics comparisons?

-Jason

Prev Next