Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
In support of Normann Stadler....
Quote | Reply
I read the stories and the threads.

Stadler is a champion. What's more, he is the champion this sport and Ironman need.

Here is why:

Stadler is not a political PR man. He is an athlete, now a champion athlete. Stadler has been through the ringer. He was critisized by people in press before the race, had bad luck in last year's race. I for one think he would have won last year too had it not been for the flat.

People are upset because of what Stadler said in the Triathlete magazine website about Macca drafting? Good. They should be. Stadler is likely right. If he is wrong, he speaks to what was an emerging tendency of athletes at the highest level to reduce Kona to a silly card game of brinkmanship and tactics on the bike. That sucked. I wanted to see a race. Not some stupid and indecipherable game of wits on the bike that we are not privy too.

I say, thank you Normann Stadler for making it a race.

You say Stadler is arrogant? A prima-donna? I say he isn't having met him once for a short time, but if he is, fine.

I remember a man named Bernard Hinault who was France's last great Tour de France hero. I remember he was brave, opinionated and brash. One commentator, Sam Posey, said (and I can remember it like yesterday), "Hinault was rude and made enemy's easily..." There is an incindiary quality to some champions and I think we have that in Stadler.

Some champions whine. Some champions deal in "what ifs". Some champions deal in graceful philosophies.

Stadler dealt in watts and power and heart rate and pain.

I wanted a race and I got a race. Stadler destroyed the guys behind him, great athletes too. He was courageous enough to attack hard on the bike and hang on during the run. He didn't succumb even though Macca really mounted an incredible run campaign.

Let me ask you guys- who remembers a race this exciting? It's been a while. A long while.

I for one am glad Normann Stadler gave us back classic Ironman racing. We have a worthy and respectable champion, and I'm thankful for it. I also can't wait for the showdown at high noon next year. That will be a gun fight.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: In support of Normann Stadler.... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tom,

thanks, i think this was needed and i agree with you. and if what he said does bother people, i think they need to take a step back and look at the stuff we say about each othe on here everyday. he is just a person like us.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People have said the same thing about Tiger Woods throwing his clubs, Jerry Rice saying he wasn't getting the ball enough, Michael Jordan, Lance, etc. I am not saying Norman is in these guys category, but champions tend not always to be the most well liked individuals, particularly on the male side of things.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bottom line is both Stadler and Macca are bad asses. I really can't imaigine Macca was drafting when there are marshalls scrutinizing these guys every move. He may have "legally drafted" per the pro 7m rule and I think that's what pisses Norman off---and I can see that point of view clearly.

http://www.mountainmettle.com
Quote Reply
Re: In support of Normann Stadler.... [Spindogg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"He may have "legally drafted" per the pro 7m rule and I think that's what pisses Norman off---and I can see that point of view clearly."

Me too.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gee Tom, you're really at it today! first the film review now this-maybe you should give up your day job. Such passion-yipppeee!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How can one be upset if a person follows the rules? Again, if he doesnt like the rules, point the finger where it belongs.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to admit, I am pretty neutral on this subject. I really don't care either way, but I do miss the days of the gracious champion. The guy who comes, does his job well and is humble in victory. There don't seem to be too many of those anymore.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>Bottom line is both Stadler and Macca are bad asses.<<

Yeah! Love 'em both.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: In support of Normann Stadler.... [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd sleep with Macca over Normann.
Quote Reply
Re: In support of Normann Stadler.... [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, that settles it then! :)

Poor Normann.... It really is all about the accent.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you know something that really sets them apart? :o)

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom:

I typically like your posts, but in my opinion, this one makes no sense. You don't get a pass for being an asshole just because you won, and in this respect, Stadler was an asshole. He may be a really nice guy most of the time, but he played this one poorly (unless for whatever reason, it was his intention to be a jerk).

FWIW, Macca's response was just as bad.

The whole thing smacks of poor sportsmanship. If Normann has a problem with the rules, he should treat it as such, not attack others for following the rules.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Re: In support of Normann Stadler.... [steveperx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't get a pass for being an asshole just because you won, and in this respect, Stadler was an asshole.

There's no Ms. Congeniality prize in IM. So he expressed an opinion that's not all hearts and flowers. I don't think that makes him a-hole or that he shouls be compared to T.O. (as some here have). He''s an emotional guy and it came out. Better that than a non personality robot.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"He may have "legally drafted" per the pro 7m rule and I think that's what pisses Norman off---and I can see that point of view clearly. "

As you say - Macca didn't break any rules, so why did Stadler mouth off and accuse him of doing so.

Also with Stadler way out in front on the bike how did he know what anybody else was doing. Was he getting out of the aero postion and looking over his shoulder constantly. I don't think so.

Stadler won the race and congratulations to him, but he still seems like a guy who is lacking in some of the basics.
Quote Reply
Re: In support of Normann Stadler.... [KEJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I said. He may not be an asshole all the time... or even a significant portion of the time. It's about class and grace, of which he showed none at this particular time. I wouldn't compare him to T.O. or even to Hinault. All I'm saying is that he showed a distinct lack of class in making those statements. It doesn't take way from his win or the fact that he's the champion. It's just unfortunate that he would choose to air his dislike of the rules in a manner that disparaged another competitor.

Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I read the stories and the threads.

Stadler is a champion. What's more, he is the champion this sport and Ironman need.

Stadler dealt in watts and power and heart rate and pain.

I wanted a race and I got a race. Stadler destroyed the guys behind him, great athletes too. He was courageous enough to attack hard on the bike and hang on during the run. He didn't succumb even though Macca really mounted an incredible run campaign.

Let me ask you guys- who remembers a race this exciting? It's been a while. A long while.

I for one am glad Normann Stadler gave us back classic Ironman racing. We have a worthy and respectable champion, and I'm thankful for it. I also can't wait for the showdown at high noon next year. That will be a gun fight.

A race this exciting? The last three years!

Winning off the bike. Used to be, wait for the run. Sit in and wait.

Macca races the tactical and boring BS way. Sit in and wait. Save energy. Like Reid and Deboom would do.

Macca slams the "Germans". Well, I like their style. They put their noses into the wind and put the hammer down! They have always raced that way. First Dietrich, then Zaeck and Hellriegel, now Faris and Norman(Lothar seemed to play the sit-in and wait game). And this style of all or nothing have given the Germans the title the last three years.

It works because these guys show up with the complete game. Witness how Stadler improved his swimming and did the work in training to be able to run 6:40 pace even after his epic ride!

Is Macca the guy who said he was going win about 6 titles? I don't see him winning just one.

Conrad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's about class and grace

I thought it was about swimming, biking and running.

Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An old-fashioned rivalry can be good for the sport. This will keep both Macca and Normann motivated during the off-season and keep the fans excited. Who is NOT going to tune in next year to see who wins the "grudge match?" (It's like the Red Sox and Yankees. Sometimes it's ugly, but it makes things more fun.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's about class and grace

I thought it was about swimming, biking and running.

Funny. I didn't know they were mutually exclusive.

I don't know why we're all so happy to forgive someone for his transgressions just because he (or she) won. As I continue to say, it doesn't take away from his performance on the course. He was unbelieveable. However, he clearly showed very poor sportsmanship on that day, which I find unfortunate, particularly in view of the fact that he felt the need to denigrate a fellow competitor who was racing within the rules.

Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
But you slept with Paulo, so that doesn't mean much. :-P

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure that having an opinion that is not PC is all that horrible. Perhaps he shouldn't have said it publicly, but w/o being in his position and going through what he has, I don't feel the need to call him names. He won. Its not like he came in 2nd and said these things out of sour grapes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure that having an opinion that is not PC is all that horrible. Perhaps he shouldn't have said it publicly, but w/o being in his position and going through what he has, I don't feel the need to call him names. He won. Its not like he came in 2nd and said these things out of sour grapes.

I don't think I said anything about being PC. I'm just wondering why he would feel the need to call Macca a cheater. It was a very un-sportsmanlike thing to do. IMO, he was being a jerk. If he has a beef with the rules, then fine. Take it up with the officials, the organizers or the fedration that makes the rules. But you don't accuse fellow comptetiors of cheating when they're following the rules just because you disagree with the rules.

If he wanted to be provocative or to get his point across very bluntly, then fine. All that means is that he had a reason for being a jerk about it. He was still a jerk.

Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I woulda thought they'd like you in between, but whatever.

_________
kangaroo -- please do not read or respond to any of my posts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to hear your opinion. I like Norman. I like Macca. I LOVED the race. But, both made comments that were uncalled for. Macca was NOT drafting. The reason I can say that since I was not there is that he played by the rules (smartly I might add) with the officials right there. He was not called. End of discussion. In all other sports, complaining about the "officiating" will get you killed everytime. This is sure to make a great race next year that we all will be watching closely for sure. I know who I will be "rooting for"

Prev Next