Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Impression of Austin 70.3 course.
Quote | Reply
Check in: congested and crowded, would guess this was because of the rain. They had given my friend the wrong bib number and when he went to change it she told him many other athletes had same issue, but was correct pretty easy.
Pre Race: never a big fan of 2 different transition, but parking was much easier then some other IM branded races, and the buses bringing you from t1 to t2 seemed to go pretty quick, still just don't like the double transition.
Transition: mud, mud and some more mud, not the race organizers fault but it sucked, i was lucky to have one of those nice AWA bib numbers (as far as i can tell this is about the only benefit) which put me running through less mud then others, thank god.
Waiting for start: i was stuck in very last wave: was a hr and 25 min wait, in some ways was nice gota to chat with some new friends and guys i had seen at other races, but man thats a long time to wait.
Swim: wow starting at the back pretty much has no advantages, having to swim through what felt like 1/4 of the field was not fun, never got kicked, arms locked, feet locked with arms, elbow to the nose as much in my life. Slowest wetsuit legal swim for me all yr.
Bike: oh the bike course, i had prev defended this bike course a little in some other threads here having biked it a few times in the last few months but today I totally hated it. IDK if it was the wind, the crappy roads, the people that would not move to the left when you yelled, the people that were biking in the middle of the road, the cars you would have to break for, the million turns, watching my power drop over the last 20 miles, or the potholes which threatened to not only pop a tube on impact but brake a zipp wheel in half, i pretty much hated this course today. I don't even want to go bike it again on a weekend training ride even again, there are so many other great roads in Austin.
Run: had not seemed bad when i had looked at it on prev trips to the course, but all those little ups and downs do get you at some point. The people cheering at the top of the hill were fantastic and the volunteers were great, plenty of places to pick up fluids. Back of the run loupes there some mud in spots and roads were not great but it was manageable. Was super congested but this was the product of a 3 loupe run course and starting in the last wave.

would i do this race again? no and i live in austin so its in my back yard. Having to start in the back, congestion, bad roads, double transition, possible bad weather in nov again this was a one and done race for me, possibly head down to Oilman 1/2 next yr after Kona, heard good things about it!

full disclose: i did this race 3 weeks post IM and had by far my worst race of the yr here so that might have little something to do with my distain for it but i talked with others that had the same feelings i did.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Impression of Austin 70.3 course. [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never done it, never heard anything good about it, never planning on doing it.
Quote Reply
Re: Impression of Austin 70.3 course. [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was not on my list till I moved right next to it, can cross it off my list now. Good call on your part.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Broadly agree. I didn't think the mud was THAT bad in transition.

I agree on the bike section, I wouldn't do the race or recommend it purely on that. My swim also sucked being at a later wave but I may have just had an off day.

The run was fun. Not pancake flat, 3 laps which I personally liked and a mix of road with a little trail.

I hate split transitions with a passion but thought they did a good job with this one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
would i do this race again? no and i live in austin so its in my back yard. Having to start in the back, congestion, bad roads, double transition, possible bad weather in nov again this was a one and done race for me, possibly head down to Oilman 1/2 next yr after Kona, heard good things about it!

Head over to Kerrville. Well run High Five event.
Quote Reply
Re: Impression of Austin 70.3 course. [dgunthert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgunthert wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:

Head over to Kerrville. Well run High Five event.

agreed did TriRock, well run great race, Kerrville was in sept and had been looking for a late oct/nov race options become more limited.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar race experience as I was second to last wave. For the swim it was choppy and having what felts like 100's of people to swim through was not fun and I am not a fast swimmer. Normally this is one of the easiest swims but with the north wind and more congestion it was much more difficult.

Bike- They change it what seems like every year now and somehow they find a way to make it more difficult. I showed over 2K of climbing which is not bad but when you factor in the fact that a lot of the down hills are slowed by bad roads (had to almost stop on some bottom sections) that really made them tough. I will note that in some ways being a decent biker this helps me as a lot of folks I think really drop power towards the last 20 miles which I did not.

Run- Perfect weather for a run that is tough will all the little hills. 3 loops makes it fun and it is always well supported.

Overall: This is the 4th time I have done this race and every time I think never again. I will sign up again just like everyone else as this race always sells out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree. I had read the reviews warning about the bad roads, and thought "I live in DC, how bad can they really be?" Answer: bad enough for the male pro winner to specifically call them out when accepting his award. I was also towards the end in the third-to-last wave, and think we all suffered a slower swim (crowded course and chop), and then the crowds on the bike course definitely didn't help with navigating the crappy roads, right angle turns, and wind. Loved the run course, which was fine even with all the rain leading into the race. I think this race is well-organized, which is key for two transitions. They're definitely doing the best with the venue that they have. And I do love Austin... the tex-mex and bbq helped make up for the bike conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand what you're saying. I'm also a local and have ridden the course. The swim was choppy. I didn't double check but I don't think anyone broke 24min? Crazy with the pro field that was there.

I think people are also neglecting the effects of Hurrican Patricia and flooding. Many of the worst spots were at the bottom of the hills and bridges that were over rivers/streams/creeks. I'm guessing the flooding worsened the road conditions over the past few weeks because I had ridden it all Fall and noticed that it was a little worse. I also think there were some pretty decent fast spots to lay down some good power.

The biggest problem I had was getting directed the wrong way on the bike course. Myself and about 4-5 athletes in front of me and 4-5 behind all made a left when we should have gone straight. As an athlete you should know the course, but it's also hard to blatantly disobey a police officer...I realized pretty quickly that this wasn't right as I have ridden it multiple times so I turned us around. There was a few people in front of me that didn't so I have no idea what happened to them...It was no skin off my back and still had a great time. Igor and Starky both were around 2:08 and they both have gone sub 2, with Starky's 1:56. I also think Starky backed off (plus a flat) because he ran a ~1:15.

The aid stations on the bike and run were amazing. I felt so spoiled.

Run was great. For me, I ran much better than expected. I felt that, despite the course with the hills, run times were pretty fast. Wish they would have had better food! How can you not have a food truck and/or tex mex/bbq as a post race food option?

I haven't been here long, but I do agree there may be better options? Why not on the west side of Austin/West Lake, could make the bike course brutal, but on nice roads. Maybe have us climb Mount Bonnell or Jester? :)
Quote Reply
Re: Impression of Austin 70.3 course. [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh jester! i live 1 mile from jester, i ran up it one time and have never been back! Going down it is worse then going up it. Sucks going wrong way on course, done it a few times sucks big time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I concur with most points. Everyone talked down about the bike course on this forum from last year, but I kept thinking how bad could it actually be?! The answer I found is: Yes, its freaking horrendous.

side note: 3 lap run was A+

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with all those points as I was in the last wave navigating the traffic and turns. The bike ended up being a little long but the run was short to compensate I guess. Not sure if that's how it's suppose to go. In any case the worst part was that I was all done getting my bike and transition bags and headed to my car to get back home to Dallas to only find out I was locked in by being double parked. Had to wait over an hour before enough folks drove away that I could sneak my car out to get home late. The part that ticks me off is apparently the volunteer who was parking people knew what he was doing but didn't care. Sucks because the rest of all the volunteers kicked ass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was a destination race for me. I'm from Northern Cal and started in Wave 10. Previous 70.3 races include Vineman, Oceanside, Donner Lake, Challenge Rancho Cordova, and Wildflower. Here are my thoughts?
  • Registration/Parking: Non-issue. Earlier posts warned about traffic and parking...non-event compared to Vineman which has horrible access and limited parking (I'm a native of Sonoma so it hurts saying this)
  • Swim. It was a PW for me. We saw three people get pulled out of the water before our wave even got in the water. Never seen that before. Very choppy and the sun after the first turn was tough.
  • Ride. Wind was the factor. The roads conditions weren't great - comparable to Jolen Road at Wildflower. I had no issues with riders not moving over. That was an issue at Vineman but that could because I was wave 17. I had to slow down for cars. Did I mention the wind? Wow. Overall impression was that the Austin scenery is beautiful and different but it's hard to beat the vineyards and mountains of California.
  • Run Course. I read people's complaints about three loops but as I progressed and knew what to expect my splits got faster. Optimal run conditions. Disappointed that the run course was not 13.1 - I thought that I had PR'd but didn't.
  • Volunteers - Great
  • Spectators - Great
  • Two Transitions - more manageable than Vineman and IMLT Full 2013 where T1 and T2 are/were separated by more than just 1.5 miles.
  • Nightlife/lodging in Austin - Superior to any other race I've done for my intentions of the weekend. The bars and restaurants and vibe of Austin helped me understand why so many Californians are moving down there.

Would I do it again? Yes but I'd like to make it a couples trip - leave the kids with the grandparents.
Last edited by: camtdc: Nov 9, 15 20:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Austin also and have never done the race and never will.

Giddy up, there's no reason to look behind you, you're not heading that way.
Quote Reply
Re: Impression of Austin 70.3 course. [AustinDuDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AustinDuDude wrote:

I live 2.5 hours away and did the race once in 2011. I had read the reviews for a few years about how bad it was. I fell into a similar trap to other people... "How bad could it be?"

I found out how bad. Will never go back.

The race should be moved to the other side of Austin. Until then it will continue to be an embarrassment of a race.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Impression of Austin 70.3 course. [boilersmack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How short did you get the run to be?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
garmin showed 12.8 and i hit start right as i exited T1

strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/429295581

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
12.7 for the run. 56.8 for the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Impression of Austin 70.3 course. [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
AustinDuDude wrote:

I live 2.5 hours away and did the race once in 2011. I had read the reviews for a few years about how bad it was. I fell into a similar trap to other people... "How bad could it be?"

I found out how bad. Will never go back.

The race should be moved to the other side of Austin. Until then it will continue to be an embarrassment of a race.

LOL, I was saying same thing "how bad could it be?" ............ I am now wiser.

Quote Reply
Re: Impression of Austin 70.3 course. [camtdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm from Austin and will happily trade places with you for half the year :) Love that part of California!

As for the race, the road conditions did suck, but I honestly thought the run course was tougher conditions. All the uneven pavement, pot holes, and mud really beat up my lower legs. The volunteers really were great and the loop by the stadium was awesome to run through with the music, signs and support.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on the "how bad can it be?" camp. Picked this race due to it being late in the season and easy for my family to drive up from Mexico. Pains to say it but "never again". I thought the organization was superb, amazing volunteers. Actually really liked the split transition as it was nice to not have clutter all around in T2. Made it easy to find your rack, leave the bike and run out. The swim was good, nothing stands out as massively positively or negative on that. The bike course though....what a pain. I remember reading something on the race website along the lines of "you will see more cattle than cars on these beautiful hill country roads". What a bunch of marketing BS. Lost count of the number of cars that we had to share the road with, I was legit scared a few times trying to decide what the best approach to some passes was (and i deal with NYC traffic on a daily basis). The quality of the roads (or lack thereof) made it much more stressful than it should have been. They tried to mark some of the larger potholes with neon orange paint and there was a part of the course over a bridge on a downhill where it looked as if someone had just straight up spilled paint given the whole section was marked up. And that last mile queue to get into T2 was just ridiculous. The run was good, i like multiple-loops as you know what to expect and can pace your effort better imho. Crowd support was great and aid stations were plenty.

This race would be A-grade if it wasnt for that bike course. Austin is a great town and the people are amazing. Too bad the ride drops if to a C.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:

The biggest problem I had was getting directed the wrong way on the bike course. Myself and about 4-5 athletes in front of me and 4-5 behind all made a left when we should have gone straight. As an athlete you should know the course, but it's also hard to blatantly disobey a police officer...I realized pretty quickly that this wasn't right as I have ridden it multiple times so I turned us around. There was a few people in front of me that didn't so I have no idea what happened to them.

I was driving on Highway 290 cutting over to mile 40 of the bike course when we caught up with a bunch of athletes on the HIGHWAY and informed them they were way off course. They all said a female cop directed them off Littig Rd/Old hwy 20 onto the highway. A bunch of collegiate athletes were out there with some other guys. I am sure they lost a ton of time.

I guess a cop directed Sam Appleton and Igor off course when they were coming into transition as well.

Internet User
Quote Reply
Re: Impression of Austin 70.3 course. [Dark Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup I was one of the collegiate athletes. Thankfully I was local and knew the course. I prolly should have realized sooner but when you have your head down and just trying to race I go brain dead about some things and just follow the guy in front of me.

I was never upset as it happens and can't let it ruin your race. When we rode back and made the correct turn where that female cop was I told her that there were still others that were out on the highway. Her response was "I tried to say something to yall." I never heard her but no skin off my back.

I turned around most of the collegiate athletes and I would guess we lost 8-10min.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much agree. I did this race last year and got two flats and a damaged saddle stem due to the roads. Wasn't going back but opportunity arose around a work trip so took it. I don't like 2 transitions but it is managed well, the mud was a real problem in T1....the swim was choppy and busy and for some reason a drank a lot of lake..... the bike was tough, the rolling terrain was fine, but it was windy, there were a million turns and you have to trim speed a lot due to the road conditions. I was 15 mins slower than expected on the bike but felt great. The run is good, I prefer 2 loops personally but the crowd was great and aid stations were just fine. The indoor finish is a little funky, the post race food disappointing, the free beer very nice. And Austin is an awesome city!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
Swim: wow starting at the back pretty much has no advantages, having to swim through what felt like 1/4 of the field was not fun, never got kicked, arms locked, feet locked with arms, elbow to the nose as much in my life. Slowest wetsuit legal swim for me all yr.

The last two years, literally 2/3 races I did I was either the last wave or second to last wave. Men 25-29. I'm a first or second quintile swimmer depending on the race and men 25-29 are reasonably fast so in all of those races I had to swim past a ton of people.

I age up next year. The only thing I'm looking forward to in Men 30-34 is that they're usually the first wave after the pros :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next