Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Impact of Heat on Cycling Times
Quote | Reply
Is there a general rule of how much (%) that high heat (100 degrees+) slows you down on the bike? I did a 120 mile ride today (including a long, steep mountain climb) and it was 105 out. First 80 were solid but it really started to get hot and things went downhill. I'm doing my first IM next year and am thinking that 5:30 is realistic, if a bit conservative. However, the time it took to cover 112 today was closer to 6 hours (inlcuding stoplights/signs, etc.). If race day temps are 80ish degrees should my bike time be significantly/marginally better than at 105 degrees?
Quote Reply
Re: Impact of Heat on Cycling Times [scb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heat makes you ride faster, because it decreases the density of air. Aero trumps everything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's relatively personal. I'm better in heat than others, until a certain point (then I get heat stroke and pass out suddenly in the race- thank goodness my teammates caught me!)

I think trial-and-error is the best way to figure it out. Also, I cannot say enough good things about Bikram yoga for heat training. I did it over the winter about 5 years ago, then moved to a small town where it wasn't offered. I thought the heat training effects would go away, but no. The conditioning is still there. Seriously, it's a 90-min workout in 110degrees. It's the perfect heat training. It has some side benefits too, like better flexibility and good-looking people stretching in little clothing.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~

I have just finished my first tri- IMC '09!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for most people heat is a wash.

you make less power but there is less wind resistance.

if heat affects you less, you might be a wee bit faster

if it affects you more you might be a wee bit slower.

if you are REALLY heat incapable, or its a long ride (yours was) you might just totally blow up and be real slow.

quit using AC at home to get better in the heat =)

In Reply To:
Is there a general rule of how much (%) that high heat (100 degrees+) slows you down on the bike? I did a 120 mile ride today (including a long, steep mountain climb) and it was 105 out. First 80 were solid but it really started to get hot and things went downhill. I'm doing my first IM next year and am thinking that 5:30 is realistic, if a bit conservative. However, the time it took to cover 112 today was closer to 6 hours (inlcuding stoplights/signs, etc.). If race day temps are 80ish degrees should my bike time be significantly/marginally better than at 105 degrees?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Last edited by: jackmott: Aug 23, 09 18:18
Quote Reply