Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I'm buying my first road bike: Trek Emonda SL or Cervelo R3 ??
Quote | Reply
price is similar
components are similar
what would be a better ride ?
help pls
Quote Reply
Re: I'm buying my first road bike: Trek Emonda SL or Cervelo R3 ?? [MTRIB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The one you think is prettier. S3 (or 2) would be faster. But still only buy one of those if you do road races or you find it prettier than the R3 or Emonda.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: I'm buying my first road bike: Trek Emonda SL or Cervelo R3 ?? [MTRIB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would be careful with the Emonda. With a bike that light you could run into durability problems. I would wait until more comes out on the Trek and what others' experiences are with it.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm buying my first road bike: Trek Emonda SL or Cervelo R3 ?? [mermlundry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mermlundry wrote:
I would be careful with the Emonda. With a bike that light you could run into durability problems. I would wait until more comes out on the Trek and what others' experiences are with it.

Just buy Trek Care Plus, no need to worry about that.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm buying my first road bike: Trek Emonda SL or Cervelo R3 ?? [mermlundry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mermlundry wrote:

This is a ridiculous comment. The frame has a lifetime warranty! Not to mention any frame that survived this year's Tour de France is going to be able to put up with the riding any amateur is going to put in to it. Give me a break...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have R3... LOVE IT!... ride it all over, comfy and fast!
Jeff

You can't fix stupid ..
Quote Reply
Re: I'm buying my first road bike: Trek Emonda SL or Cervelo R3 ?? [Mister944] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Emonda SL is actually quite heavy. Over 1000 grams. I would take the R3 hands down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also just got the R3. Built it up as a frame set. Love it! Comfortable, fast, light. I also have a lot of confidence in the Cervelo brand and the engineering behind it.

I rented a 2011 R3 for a few days while on a trip. Then when the redesigned 2014 came out got it. Very happy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

FWIW, a friend has the R3 and loves it. But he really liked the fact his bike shop loaned him $2500 set of wheels before a big event when he was having a wheel issue in the days leading up to it. If you have the option of going with a truly great shop, choose that bike.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm buying my first road bike: Trek Emonda SL or Cervelo R3 ?? [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1050 grams for the Emonda SL, the same as a 1990's Trek 5500.

Plus the tubes are shaped like a parachute.

The Cervelo has about the same stack-reach as the Emonda H2. The Emonda H1 is more aggressive, but not as aggressive as the Madone H1, which is very aggressive.

But personally I think the Cervelo is a much faster bike. The Emonda was declared "lively" by Peloton Magazine. But then it said the Cervelo RCa starts accelerating even before you touch the pedals. Or something. In any case the Emonda was designed for ride feel.
Quote Reply