Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

If you had $1600 or so to spend on race wheels...
Quote | Reply
long story... cracked my mavic (ssl on my road bike) 2 weeks before the TourDeTucson and the LBS didnt get the parts in time for the race. Used my Rolf Vector Pro's (from my TT bike) on my road bike and mashed them good on a chuck hole around mile 22 in the TdT Saturday, 5 flats later (I am persistent) I dnf'ed. I am going to retire my Rolfs to training and looking to purchase a nice set of TT race wheels to be used just for racing.

What would you buy and why? I am leaning on tubular rims (not sure why, maybe for the sex appeal). I am 6'2" and 185 pounds currently riding a Cannondale M-5000, if that matters. Would like a deep dish 45-60 mm deep, not quite sure I deserve a disc (40k TT 1:03 or so)

so what so you?
Quote Reply
Re: If you had $1600 or so to spend on race wheels... [Drock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No need to spend that much. Get a Renn disc and a good front for a lot less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp 808's since you are a big cyclist and not likely 'offended' by the wind. Might be too 'aero' for road racing though, so the 404's are a great all around wheelset (and what CSC and others use in the TDF (58mm I think) and weigh less than Ksyrium SSLs. Pretty durable too - they do make a Clydesdale version if you want.

I train on Ksyrium SSC SLs as well and my Zipp 404s even provide a more comfy ride (probably the tubular tires though).

Re: If you had $1600 or so to spend on race wheels... [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
... hey I ain't to "clydesdale" :)
I have been looking at the Zipps, Reynolds, Topolino (sp) and American Classics.

Decisions decisions!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
easy. Zipp 404 with a powertap.
Quote Reply
Re: If you had $1600 or so to spend on race wheels... [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah sounds good but are Z404 tupies durable for everyday training?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wheels are plenty durable, up to you if you want to train on them. Personally I wouldn't because I don't like training on tubies. They do come in a clincher, though...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You "cracked/mashed" 2 sets of wheels in a 2 week span and want to spend $1600 on your next set?

What kind of racing do you want the wheels for? Disc makes it sound like TT and you mention racing in TT's - triathlons?

Realize that race wheels may make something like 1/4-1/2 mph difference or less.

Tubulars are a pain in the ass.

For you, I'd either not buy race wheels at all or if you must, get something super durable and/or with a crash replacement. Hed 3 up front would be good and maybe a Renn or Hed 3 rear (I think the renns have a crash replacement). If you went Zipp - get the clyde version (seems to be the consensus).

I have 2 sets of race wheels - Zipp 909's and Hed Alps/powertap (clincher).....you can have either set for $1600....

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp 808 Clincher Front. Renn clincher rear, or even just a CH Aero wheel cover. Spend the difference on a Powertap training wheel and slap the cover on it for important races.

The 808 and wheel cover are my race wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People don't deserve disc wheels; they either have the money for them or they don't. I would go for a Zipp 909 set. That is what I use and they have worked flawlessly so far. Tubulars are not a big deal once you have done them once and they offer a lot more air volume between you and the road compared to a clincher. That said, I would not pay $1,600 for a new set. Right now on eBay there are a number of wheelsets, discs and individual wheels that will probably be had for a lot less than retail.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: If you had $1600 or so to spend on race wheels... [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
take a closer look at the reynolds stuff. if youre mostly road racing those are great versitile wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp Clydesdale 404 front with a Zipp disk or Reynolds rear disk. Or maybe a pair of HED3s as they seem bombproof.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might not be a clyde...but it sure sounds like you'd be better off with the clyde or cross version...you seem to be really tough on wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd buy a set of 404s on ebay, and spend the other $1100 on something else.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]... hey I ain't to "clydesdale" :)
I have been looking at the Zipps, Reynolds, Topolino (sp) and American Classics.

Decisions decisions![/reply]

Yup - I didn't mean you were an 'actual' clydesdale, just that you seem hard on wheels (agree with TriBriGuy). I don't train much on my 404s because I don't want to replace them if there is an issue (not that my training are cheap either though: Ksyrium SLs or Reynold Alta Race). The are very durable though and I would not hesitate to train on them. You must go tubie if you go Zipp. The Topollinos are not very aero, but very light: have no idea on their reliability 'record/status' as I don't know anyone who has them.

Quote | Reply
HED 3 Clinchers. Here's why:
1 - Aluminum rims for great braking.
2 - No rim strips.
3 - No valve extentions to mess with.
4 - Able to withstand just about anything you can dish out. They are virtually indestructable if used as intended.
5 - Proven aerodynamics.
6 - Very easy to change a tube/tire.
7 - HED support/warranty/service is unbeatable.
8 - They hold their value very well.
9 - Look great.
10 - No truing. Ever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll check out the 909's. I am not sure why most people are against tubular rims? Is it because they are afraid to change a flat? My Rolfs are still ridable, but have taken a beating over the last 4 years and I do not trust those wheels for racing. Racing only tires should be tubulars right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think a set of separate race wheels for a couple of reasons:

1) They will have new tires, thus less prone to flats. 2) They will probably be more round and true, thus roll better. 3) If you have a separate cassette and you change out your chain or clean it well then it will shift better. Notice, I didn't say anything about being more aero. While there is some advantage, the above three items on any wheelsets will contribute as much to a good race as a disc and deep front wheel.

I'm not sure why people don't like tubulars. I have been using them for years and never had a flat or any problem. I was gluing mine with the double coat of glue, but for tri purposes that is probably overkill. For next spring they will need to be re-glued and I will just put one coat on the rim and call it good. The main advantage of tubular rims, beside lower weight, is the greater air volume between the rim and the ground thus making it impossible to get pinch flats.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: If you had $1600 or so to spend on race wheels... [Stick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"HED 3 Clinchers. Here's why: ... "

Thanks for this post, Stick. It really helps ward off buyers remorse for me. I just won an ebay auction for a set of HED 3 clinchers. They're in transit (or at least I hope they are). And I was wondering about the rim tape thing. Thanks for resolving that question.

Hey, what do you do about the valve opening? Do you just tape over it like on a disk? It looks huge in the pictures I've seen.

Bob C.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I have been using them for years and never had a flat or any problem.

You are temping fate with that statement.

I said something very similar this past weekend about my tubeless mountain bike tires, sure enough, got a flat.

Good luck.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: If you had $1600 or so to spend on race wheels... [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The opening is really not that big. Yes - tape over the opening just like you do to your disc. BTW - good purchase, certainly one of the best race wheels ever made. Take care of them and they will serve you well for a very long time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hed 3 front and a Renn rear and save the rest for a rainy day. My Understanding is that it won't be but a few seconds slower than 909s.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply