Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

If you are struggling with flip turns...
Quote | Reply
Watch this video. My problem was #2, but I didn't really realize it until I watched the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez5uEh7YyIM#t=0
Quote Reply
Re: If you are struggling with flip turns... [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do that - will have to try the weights!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice one.

MY problem has been my arm position. Will try the straight arm....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watched the video. It's great.

I have to say that a majority of people that are struggling with turns have a lot more issues than what GHSr posted. Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying that he's wrong. The guy's pinky finger knows more about swimming than the sum of all the people I've ever met. However, in my experience in dealing with swimmers and reading through ST threads, I'm saying that a majority people with flip turn problems are not trying to shave 0.1 sec off their turn. Their problems go a little deeper than the extension of their legs or a bit of an over-rotation. They will raise their head out of the water, have poor arm position coming through the turn, go into and out of their roll at in opportune times, and much more. This vid was at great refining the basic techniques, not necessarily to develop them.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My video take on flip turn fundamentals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExLqw_SlBlI
Quote Reply
Re: If you are struggling with flip turns... [Dave Luscan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's a good one

Dave Luscan wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome vid.

I flip turn all the time. Not well apparently, but at least I do it all the time. Being a triathlete (of sorts) I dont' worry about the flip turn since no tri's I've ever done have had a flip turn component. However, most of my lane buddies don't flip turn, so I'm already faster than them on the turns. My turns are what allow me to hang with faster swimmers that don't flip.

I have been working on two things in swimming lately. One is that when I turn to breathe, my hand sinks a little. Not much, just a little. I'm slowly getting that fixed. I'm also working on my turns, at present, working working on the straight arm part. I think I also turn a little too much during the flip. By fixing that, I might be able to hang with even faster guys that don't flip turn :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The past 8 months or so has been a huge eye opener in 'other' areas to get faster. First it was doing racy flip turns vs the typical lazy turn. Then it was learning a proper dolphin and then learning when I was slowing to the point I'd be better up top swimming free, then it was a proper breakout. I mean to tell ya it never ends with swimming! If you take where I was a year ago in a short course pool, approaching the flag.....from that point....to the wall.....back to the flag. I'm right at 2 seconds faster on every single turn than I was a year ago all from working on. Just on flag entry/wall/flag exit. Yes, 6 seconds per 100.
Quote Reply
Re: If you are struggling with flip turns... [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
The past 8 months or so has been a huge eye opener in 'other' areas to get faster. First it was doing racy flip turns vs the typical lazy turn. Then it was learning a proper dolphin and then learning when I was slowing to the point I'd be better up top swimming free, then it was a proper breakout. I mean to tell ya it never ends with swimming! If you take where I was a year ago in a short course pool, approaching the flag.....from that point....to the wall.....back to the flag. I'm right at 2 seconds faster on every single turn than I was a year ago all from working on. Just on flag entry/wall/flag exit. Yes, 6 seconds per 100.

That's awesome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sigh, I'm guilty on all three counts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's crazy b/c when my coach was busting my balls on how poorly I executed all that I thought he was crazy. He had put it at 5 seconds as in 'I can show you where you have 5 seconds alone to pick up'. He was wrong! Thing that is scary is the difference b/t where they are now and where the really good people are....still tons to improve on. Those Race Club vids are gold Gary Hall is awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this guy breaks it down, best/quick explanations i've seen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Luscan wrote:

Thanks for the link. Not so much for your video, but for the Lolo link on the right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Luscan wrote:

I like this one. I don't do flip turns because I have a tendency to drown, shoot water up my nose, or push off early & go straight to the bottom of the pool. Step by step videos like this are great. I know I need to dedicate some time to practice turns like this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm.....ankle weights while swimming? Like I don't have enough problems with sinking legs!!

Is it possible to swim in a completely vertical position? Wink

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: If you are struggling with flip turns... [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the trick to NOT get all the water up your nose? I cannot get past this part to actually execute the flip turns.
Quote Reply
Re: If you are struggling with flip turns... [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great vid
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for both of those. That info really helps
Quote Reply
Re: If you are struggling with flip turns... [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
What is the trick to NOT get all the water up your nose? I cannot get past this part to actually execute the flip turns.

hum, as in "mmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For someone trying to learn, I like this series of five youtube videos (the link is video 1 of 5).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFQpLyihI5M
Last edited by: Cheesy Bottom: Apr 16, 14 10:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:

I've heard to exhale through your nose throughout the turn. But then I end up with no air & impulsively try to inhale too early. Hence my "tendency to drown" comment!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try a short, strong exhale out the nose just as you go into the flip. Like a reverse sniff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:
Watch this video. My problem was #2, but I didn't really realize it until I watched the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez5uEh7YyIM#t=0

thanks - I learned some things! Although by increasing my pool speed I'm going to be even more disappointed with my OW times than I already am...

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:

It helps to press your tongue to the roof of your mouth.
Quote Reply