Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

If you are in Louisville this weekend, for IM Lou (or any other reason), and want to give back to the sport a little.....
Quote | Reply
I can still use help with the swim start. Best job going for a volunteer. We meet about 5:45-6am to go over some things, race starts at 7:30am and we have all the athletes in the water in about 40 mins. Even if you are helping on the docks, you can usually get back to the swim finish to see the first age groupers out of the water, so you won't miss much if you are there to spectate.

If interested, go to http://www.ironman.com/...ville/volunteer.aspx and register for "Pointers - Swim Course".

This year IM Lou is trying self seeding for the swim start, so it's going to be a little different than in the past. Still expect to get everyone in the water in 40-45mins, give or take.
Quote Reply
Re: If you are in Louisville this weekend, for IM Lou (or any other reason), and want to give back to the sport a little..... [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for organizing the swim volunteers!

Quick question about the self-seeded start: Will this be like other Ironman self-seeded starts where I could walk up to the 1 hr sign 20 minutes before the start and slot into line?

Thanks!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: If you are in Louisville this weekend, for IM Lou (or any other reason), and want to give back to the sport a little..... [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey there!

I am going to be in town for the race and am a 7 years salty Ironman volunteer. I am VIP for this race but would be happy to help you out for a little bit.

~Tyra

I am an avid cyclist who is also the co-owner and buyer for Low Country Multisport a performance specific F.I.S.T. certified fit studio and repair shop in the beautiful Lowcountry of South Carolina. And, I just happen to be married to a retired Marine who is completely addicted to the iron distance. "lord help my wallet!!"
Quote Reply
Re: If you are in Louisville this weekend, for IM Lou (or any other reason), and want to give back to the sport a little..... [lilbluebirds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: If you are in Louisville this weekend, for IM Lou (or any other reason), and want to give back to the sport a little..... [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know, I am a little light on info right now. Our captain's meeting is tonight and I know that the RD is also going to be "co-captaining" the swim start this year. So I may just get to sit back and let her do all the work. I would be surprised, given the location and set up, if they have corrals or anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
I can still use help with the swim start. Best job going for a volunteer. We meet about 5:45-6am to go over some things, race starts at 7:30am and we have all the athletes in the water in about 40 mins. Even if you are helping on the docks, you can usually get back to the swim finish to see the first age groupers out of the water, so you won't miss much if you are there to spectate.

If interested, go to http://www.ironman.com/...ville/volunteer.aspx and register for "Pointers - Swim Course".

This year IM Lou is trying self seeding for the swim start, so it's going to be a little different than in the past. Still expect to get everyone in the water in 40-45mins, give or take.

I volunteered in this role last year, and I can attest that bluemonkeytri is correct: this is the "best" job. I got to walk my wife to the swim start, and then help out for a bit of time. Very easy job, and fun. Your shift is finished early, in time to see all of the swim finishers. The volunteer shirt you get for just a bit of "work" acts as sort of a "back stage pass" for the rest of the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife just signed up. From Montgomery Alabama. Thanks for posting this!

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply