Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I sweat like a pig
Quote | Reply
I have just finished a 60 min spin class and looked around at the gym floor afterwards , it was not even close I 24" diameter pool of sweat on the mat beneath the mat .The others people in the class barely had a drop of swat on the floor !
Good thing , bad thing ?
Quote Reply
Re: I sweat like a pig [sward] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who cares? Wanna go camping?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sward wrote:
I have just finished a 60 min spin class and looked around at the gym floor afterwards , it was not even close I 24" diameter pool of sweat on the mat beneath the mat .The others people in the class barely had a drop of swat on the floor !
Good thing , bad thing ?

Get your Thyroid levels checked
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pigs don't sweat.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no training in medicine or physiology but I think that once you are acclimated to heat you begin to sweat sooner than otherwise. I'm a heavy sweater myself so I will go with it being a good thing. I leave similar puddles in the privacy of my basement. If I was in a spin class I would look for a spot closest to the fan(s) and put down a towel.
Quote Reply
Re: I sweat like a pig [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sweat just thinking about training. I am just a heavy sweater.
Quote Reply
Re: I sweat like a pig [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. Which is why they roll around in the mud to stay cool. Ignorant city folk....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brider wrote:
Pigs don't sweat.

Ha. I came on this thread just to make that comment thank you.

Why do people think they roll in mud? Because they like it?
Quote Reply
Re: I sweat like a pig [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pdxjohn wrote:
sward wrote:
Good thing , bad thing ?

Get your Thyroid levels checked

Interesting. I sweat excessively during exercise and my brother had to have surgery for Hyperparathyroidism. I was supposed to have my levels checked since it can be familial. I should probably get around to following up on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a pretty heavy sweater myself. A number of years ago I did a spin class attended by the billionaire CEO of my company as well. I ended up on a bike next to him once, and by the end of the workout his puddle was bigger than mine. That is the day I stopped worrying about the social acceptability of heavy sweating.

As to the physiological dangers: all I hear is that sweating is good for you, as long as you manage hydration. But that's hearsay.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hunter S. Thompson was once told that he'll have a problem when he stops sweating.

I, for instance, sweat just thinking hard. You'll live.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe they were not working as hard as you were, or at all?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Sweat is just weakness leaving the body"

(catch-phrase trademark pending, copyright pending)

“Bloom wherever you are planted"
Quote Reply
Re: I sweat like a pig [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct, increased sweat rate (and earlier onset) is a positive adaptation to training.

During longer training bouts you'll want to be mindful of fluid replacement, and dehydration could become an issue.

John Hartpence, Athlete & Coach
tripence@gmail.com, @coachpence
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was working at a local Bally Total Fitness several years ago, one of my clients was a man who didn't sweat. As in, a genetic condition where he not only didn't have any hair, he did not sweat, at all. He'd have to take a T-shirt and soak it in water to be able to do ANY aerobic work, and had to monitor his core temperature constantly.

There are certainly worse conditions out there than sweating a lot...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: I sweat like a pig [tripence] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a heavy sweater and I hydrate throughout the day. However, when I sweat and my body temperature rises, I get what looks like a heat rash, but quickly subsides once my body temperature cools down. I can still see the rash on my skin but it looks like poison ivy or really big bug bites when I get hot. Doesn't itch nor does it hurt it's just... there.
Quote Reply
Re: I sweat like a pig [nbpi5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yikes, that sounds rough.

I pour sweat as well, my "PR's" including 7lbs during an 8 mile run (low 80's, max humidity) and 3.1lbs during a VO2max treadmill test.

But no heat rash... thankfully.

John Hartpence, Athlete & Coach
tripence@gmail.com, @coachpence
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Self diagnosing myself via Google would suggest a heat rash, but it hasn't gone away in a few months. I rub vitamin E on it hoping it would go away, but it likes to keep coming back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I'm that guy at the gym too. Huge puddles on both sides of the bike, teadmill, etc.. It's just genetics. If anyone gives you flack about it just tell them to try pedaling harder ;).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: I sweat like a pig [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spin class... Crap, I soaked through a t-shirt at the Kona airport trying to fix a jammed zipper on a suitcase... in the shade. I won't miss that heat & humidity. I had to dig out another shirt from my suitcase before boarding. Felt like all I did was sweat for 10 days straight. Amazing experience otherwise and we at least had 1 cooler day where the dewpoint fell under 70F.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I totally identify with this. I used to play a lot of pick-up basketball and no one ever wanted to guard me.

Do you get rust on your handlebar bolts like I do? I completely wipe down my bike after every ride and even use compressed air to dry the bolt heads and crevaces, but still get rust.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sward wrote:
Good thing , bad thing ?

If this was the 70's I'd suggest that you sweat like a policeman type of pig, since they sweat after donuts and pigs (the hoofed kind) don't sweat

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wreck the treadmill at the gym. None of the other folks seem to do the same. However, I am the only one there doing some speed work on the treadmill. My shirt is soaked with sweat after. Glad I am not the only one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He should've said he sweats like a horse. 😀

------------------------
Loud pawls save lives
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New to the sport... started training just a year ago and just completed my first 70.3 IM.

I always thought of myself as a person who would sweat reasonably, "just like most/the others". As I progressed in my training and specially soon after pre-season, I began to sweat a great deal more. Far more than my peers as we trained transitions or in the rollers. Then it began to get uncomfortable as I noticed it even when not training, at work... just a short walk and I was sweating. Soon it got uncomfortable because in bed I would just be drench in sweat far beyond just changing sheets. I was worried about it but then it seemed like I reached a point where it stabilized and my body adapted. Seems like I do start sweating sooner than before I began training, I do sweat a bit more on the bike but not as excessively as I had 3 months after I had begun to train.
Quote Reply