Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I put Gatorskins on my Zipps...
Quote | Reply
There. I said it. I don't race anymore, and my Zipp 404s were just sitting in my garage gathering dust, so I repurposed them as my everyday wheels (I won't say training wheels, cause I'm not training for anything). 700 x 25 Gatorskins, and big, heavy "puncture-proof" tubes. So if you see me riding my 1994 Trek 5200 with that wheel setup, don't bother coming on Slowtwitch to mock me... :-)

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Re: I put Gatorskins on my Zipps... [teekona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's sad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
at least you didn't race on them...

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bik/6156431423.html

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Re: I put Gatorskins on my Zipps... [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How so?

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teekona wrote:
700 x 25 Gatorskins, and big, heavy "puncture-proof" tubes. :-)

I have a set of hard shell Gatorskins that I flatted my first ride on them. I think I've actually flatted more on them than any other tire I've ever had. They also handle like crap in the rain. I can't wait to get rid of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teekona wrote:
How so?

Probably something along the lines of "Well, if you're just riding them for enjoyment...why would you put tires and tubes on them that suck all the enjoyment out of riding?"

Or,

"Life is too short to ride crappy tires" - Tom A.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: I put Gatorskins on my Zipps... [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nebmot wrote:
at least you didn't race on them...https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bik/6156431423.html[/quote[/url]]
Someone's backdoor brag CL post. Impressive.
Quote Reply
Re: I put Gatorskins on my Zipps... [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those aren't mine... I'd at least take the tires off and sell them separately than admit I raced on gatorskins. Although I did my first half on Tufo S3s Frown

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teekona wrote:
How so?

Putting on tires that will make you demonstrably slower is a sad thing to do, training or racing or just going to the grocery store. Poor bike, being relegated to complete mediocrity like that, and on $2000 dollar wheelset to boot! :D
Quote Reply
Re: I put Gatorskins on my Zipps... [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
teekona wrote:
How so?

Probably something along the lines of "Well, if you're just riding them for enjoyment...why would you put tires and tubes on them that suck all the enjoyment out of riding?"

Or,

"Life is too short to ride crappy tires" - Tom A.

Yes, precisely!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you can't go on ST to not get flamed. that's just asking for it. LOL

kidding. I like tough tubes, I hate flats. if you're not racing, why not sell the zipps and take the $50 you get from me and buy yourself a nice beach cruiser?
Last edited by: dsmallwood: Jun 7, 17 12:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in a 12.5 mile road race this past weekend. I was riding my $400 Nashbar sourced Schwinn Aluminum road bike with Michelin Pro 4 Service Course tires, and for the first ~1/2, was working with a guy on a nice Emonda with Zipp 404's. We were swapping draft/lead roll as we passed the slower traffic from the 25 mile race that started in the wave in front of us. About half way, he fell off. I ended up gapping him by 2 minutes on the back half. I was wondering how a guy with such a nice bike, with such nice hoops, could have fallen so far behind slow-ass me on my Geo Metro of a bike. When we met up after the finish, I realized why; he was rolling Gatorskins. Joking aside, we both made the finish without flatting.
Last edited by: gary p: Jun 6, 17 17:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
303's and Gators is my everyday setup. Knock on wood but I can't remember the last time I flatted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had 1 flat in 5 years on GP4000sii.
Fast and puncture proof can coexist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Putting Gatorskins on your Zipps is like putting Bi-ply tires on your Porsche. There are plenty of quality tires out there in wider sizes that will ride better than those Conti's. Take the Schwalbe One tires for example or a set of the now discontinued Ironman tires. They ride great, have low rolling resistance, have kevlar inside of them, and aren't heavy. They will also go 5-6000 miles before you replace them. There is some guy on Ebay selling them in pairs shipped for $40 .
Quote Reply
Re: I put Gatorskins on my Zipps... [Petkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh the humanity!
Quote Reply
Re: I put Gatorskins on my Zipps... [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
303's and Gators is my everyday setup. Knock on wood but I can't remember the last time I flatted.
I've ridden Conti GP4000s, GP4000sII, and Michelin Pro4SC for the last 2.5years. I believe I've had a single puncture on the GP4000s in that time. I rode Gatorskin Hardshells for about a year when I started riding about 6.5years ago and had 3 or 4 punctures on them. Between the Gatorskins at the start and the faster tyres in recent years I used Conti 4 Seasons for about 3 years. I had 2 or 3 punctures on those. Oh, at one point I used Mavic Yksion Pro tyres briefly (they came on a new bike) and I had no punctures on those either.

So anecdotally Gatorskin Hardshells have been my most puncture prone tyres by a significant margin (approx 3 per year) with the 4 Seasons being about 1 puncture per year and faster, comfier, more enjoyable tyres (if we group them together) being about 0.4 punctures per year. Now, that's not evidence, it's just my experience. There's a big element of luck involved but also I expect, experience reduces likelyhood of punctures. I think at least one and probably two of the Gatorskin punctures were pinch punctures. With experience you learn what pressures are appropriate and possibly more importantly to avoid drains/potholes or take the load off the tyres momentarily if you can't avoid them. I haven't had a pinch puncture on any of the other tyres but I doubt the tyre type had anything to do with it. I ride in all conditions, very often in the wet, and often on poor quality roads.

In my opinion, tyres like Gatorskins may reduce puncture frequency under some conditions but they're not the major factor and they're not worth it. If I was commuting on debris strewn roads, got no enjoyment from cycling, had no concerns about grip, speed or comfort and my only priority was to minimise likelihood of a puncture, I MIGHT use Gatorskins. But I don't think I'm ever likely to use them again voluntarily.
Quote Reply
Re: I put Gatorskins on my Zipps... [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have pretty much the same experience with Gatorskins. Pinch flats were my main issue.

I stopped using them a few years ago and have ridden Schwalbe 1's, GP4000SII's and Mich PR4's since then with less flat tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a very troubling development, they need to enact laws for people like you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YES! That is a sexy move of high order. Got the sexy wheels and now you just make them beater wheels. Love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dare you to show up to cat6 alley race. They start behind jimmy johns after closing. You'll be the fastest alley cat the world has ever known.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rock 'em. F the haters...

I need to get myself some new Gatorskins.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought gp4000s ii's were among the best performing aero-tested option for many zipp wheels

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/...-aerodynamics-324578

//Noob triathlete//bike commuter//ex-swimmer//slower than you

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw a dude that put Zipp 808 on an old mountain bike that had cantilever breaks.
Quote Reply
Re: I put Gatorskins on my Zipps... [Petkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends hugely on the roads you're riding on. On the roads I commute on I can just about get 5-6000 miles out of Schalbe Marathons, which are the most bulletproof tire I've found. Gatorskin Hardshells are cut to pieces within 1-2000 miles, and anything vaguely fast will be shredded in no time.

The roads I ride at the weekends are a bit better but still fairly harsh on tires. I don't really like the Gatorskins in the wet, so I tend to use 4 Seasons which IMO have better handling and ride quality and don't give up much in the punctureproof stakes. I have GP4000s IIs on my race wheels and will occasionally take them out training on roads which I know are decent and on dry days when the rain hasn't swept a load of crap onto the road. But something like that or the Schwalbe One's as an everyday training tire would end up causing me to spend a lot of time fixing and replacing tires, time I'd rather spend training.
Quote Reply

Prev Next