Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I need you'all's permission/input on something
Quote | Reply
starting tomorrow i can serve an ad above, from American Express. they would like to advertise on this forum. the ad campaign includes a pop-under that would serve once per visit, at the conclusion of the visit. in other words, you'd all be navigating, thread to thread, etc., but once, when you end your forum session, a new window will pop up behind your existing browser window, and it would be specific to the AmEx ad.

this is a test campaign AmEx is running, to see whether this ad works for them on our forum, in this space.

my reason for bringing this up is as follows. i respect the privilege i've been extended in having you folks visit this forum. depending upon what you guys say on this thread, i'll either allow the ad to run or i won't. in general i don't allow pop-ups, but i have an ad sales agent who asks for an exception just in this AmEx case.

so, please let me know what you think about this, whether this is okay with you, and depending on the yea/nay ratio i will or won't let the ad run. give me your true feelings on this. if the answer is, "i won't go to any site that serves a pop-up window, period," i'd like to know about this in advance. i don't want to find out after you've already gone and i just don't see your name coming up as an author any longer.

this is not the tip of the iceberg. i will still have a no-pop-up policy for advertisers. at the same time, i can't swear this would forever be the only one. i can say that i would not allow such an ad to run, from any advertiser, without querying you guys first.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: I need you'all's permission/input on something [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pop-up windows are a nuissance. Whenever I get one from any site, I enter that site annoyed. Also I "mark" the advertizer, meaning that Amex would get on my shit list because of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vote no, but I use a pop-up blocker anyway, so it isn't that big of a deal.

I respect your statement that this is not the tip of the iceberg, but not sure how you will be able to enforce that without playing favorites.

What happens if you terminate the session by closing the browser? Still get a popup?

Best of luck.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say go with it...if we dont like it we can close the window (if I dont have popup blocker). They pay to keep this site running...they pay so we can enjoy it.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is not the tip of the iceberg.

Well, OK, then. And make sure the stupid thing is easy to close, and doesn't lead to sixteen other freaking pop "unders."

In general, I hate that stuff. H.A.T.E it. But since I respect the privilege in being allowed in here, I would be willing to put up with a minimal amount of it, just so's it doesn't get out of hand. I would much prefer if it didn't become standard practice. If you can convince AmEx to do without it, so much the better.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sure, run it. its not like this is the only site with pop-ups, and its been one of the few without. small price to pay, i think, for my privilege of hanging out and occassionally posting.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find pop-ups EXTREMELY annoying. But, there are certainly worse things in life, and they're not going away anytime soon. So, another one here isn't the end of the world.

If it's good for you, I'm o.k. with it. Seems the least we could do......

Dan DeMaio
---------------------------------------------------------
Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's your site - if its good for you-go for it. Wouldn't bother me, I appreciate anything that helps keep this forum going into the future. Seeing an occasional pop up ad is a small price to pay for a free forum.

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pop-up ads do kind of suck. I have pretty much stopped using weather.com because ads come up that block the stuff you want to use so you have to wait for the ad to finish. I understand this isn't like that and honestly, I keep the forum window open and minimized all day at work so I would really only have to deal with it once, this is tough.

IMO, I don't really like that $700k prize race in Iowa and I don't like AmEx pop-ups, I want triathlon to be a fringe sport again, I miss mailing in my entries.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to town. Pop-up blockers rule.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's your site we use here--Mahalo. Do what u want. I use a pop-up blocker and firewall so it won't affect me.

thanks again

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let it run. we can all blame record10 for attracting such clients with all his talk of 20k burning a hole in his pocket. it'll be interesting to see if my pop-up blocker kills it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's one and at the end, it wouldn't be the worst I have to put up with--relatively minor.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's in it for me?

;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if it helps pay the bills, and keeps the site free, do it man do it!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i say go for it. It'd probably be blocked on my brwoser anyways, but even if it wasn't I can deal with a one time a visit annoyance in exchange for the forum being financially supported (assuming they are paying you a reasonable amount).
Quote Reply
Re: I need you'all's permission/input on something [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If Dan goes ahead and you put AMEX on your shit list be sure to let us know who wins your war ;-). I can see in now on the cover of the NY Times "AMEX appologises to Paulo After Stock Collapse, Promises Not To Get On His List Again" and in related news Paulo has agreed to take them off his list and allow the stock price to rebound.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate telemarketers, junk mail, people that leave ads on my door, and pop-up's. While I can certainly live with them - don't answer the phone if I don't recognize the number, don't answer the door if i don't recognize the face, sift through and throw away junk mail and use a pop-up blocker (or close the pop-up for those that make it past my blocker)... in a perfect world, none of them would exist. So I'd certainly vote to not have it, but I won't stop coming to the site or whatever just because of a pop-up, but, given the choice, I would prefer it not be there.

--
mcoker
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In a world of popup blockers why would an advertiser want to use a popup? Guaranteed way to ensure your ad isn't seen.

The ones that are really anoying are the Yahoo style ones where you have to click a button on the ad page before being sent to the page you requested.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have noticed and appreciated that ST is a pop up free zone. pop up/under adds are ANNOYING. That said, I do go to several sites with pop ups.

Will I stop lurking on ST do to pop ups, no

Will I be annoyed, yes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's great that you are getting interest from very large, "non-tri" related companies. The fact that Amex wants to advertise here says a lot for what you've built.

I think you should allow the ad if you think it benefits ST and/or you personally. I don't typically like pop-ups, but if I can always just turn on my pop-up blocker.

I only ask that you never turn ST into a big billboard where every click dumps some piece of adware on my PC ;-).

Thanks for asking

Barry K.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say go for it Dan.

Pop Ups are no biggie.

Personally, I love Amex. I started my company many moons ago on one American Express card. They are tops in my book.

If anything, Amex might take more of an interest in how the triathlon community is growing not only as a sport,but as a lifestyle....can you say "Corporate Sponsor " !

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: I need you'all's permission/input on something [smtyrrell99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
- House

- vitus979

- smtyrrell99

- Amex (pending)

;-)
Quote Reply
Re: I need you'all's permission/input on something [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still number two, huh? Always the bridesmaid . . .

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with everyone who said pop ups/unders are lame, but it's easy to either block or close them if you don't want to look at them. If it helps keep the twitch twiching, go for it.

-Andrew Saar
It is better to do the right thing and be paid poorly,
than to do the wrong thing and be rewarded richly.
Quote Reply

Prev Next