Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I need another good book. Suggestions?
Quote | Reply
I'm desperate for another good motivational book to read. I particularly liked Karnazes's "Ultramarathon Man" and "RUN". Of course I also really enjoyed "Born to Run." I picked up "Finding Ultra" by Rich Roll and I have to say I was pretty disappointed by it. Where Karnazes's started off his book briefly talking about some of his own personal issues, he then spent the rest of the book talking about really cool ultra races etc. Rich Roll spends the entire book talking about his personal issues and only speaks briefly about some cool ultra stuff.

I was considering "Eat and Run" by Scott Jurek but some people say it is a good read, while others say it is really just a vegetarian cookbook.

Can anyone suggest a good read (tri related or individual sport) that might be comparable to some of the above that I enjoyed?
Quote Reply
Re: I need another good book. Suggestions? [keqwow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you read Chrissy Wellingtons?

http://www.amazon.com/...codingTag=1&fp=1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The World's Toughest Endurance Challenges" by Richard Hoad and Paul Moore

Really cool read and great coffee table book for friends to peruse after you're done.

If reading about these awesome and brutally hard races doesn't get you motivated, you might as well drop endurance racing.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not tri related, but Andre Agassi's book rocks!!

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iron War
I'm Here to Win
A Life Without Limits
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without a doubt, Chris McCormack's "I'm Here to Win." I absolutely loved every page of it.
Quote Reply
Re: I need another good book. Suggestions? [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Open by Andre Agassi is one of the best sports books I've ever read. As is You Cannot Be Serious by John McEnroe. I'm not even really a fan of tennis.

Pro Cycling on $10 a day by phil gaimon is a pretty sweet behind the scenes view of a domestic pro.
Quote Reply
Re: I need another good book. Suggestions? [dtaylor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
During an ITU race, one of the commentators mentioned how much he liked the Brownlees' book. Can anyone back that up? I'm thinking about getting it for my next read.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gold in the water
Running with the buffaloes
The perfect mile
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have not read 'Once a Runner', then you are in for a treat.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: I need another good book. Suggestions? [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boilerup wrote:
Not tri related, but Andre Agassi's book rocks!!

Yes and I also highly recommend Slaying the Badger about Bernard Hinault and his rivalry with LeMond.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eat and Run is definitely worth a read. Like another poster said, Phil Gaimon's Procycling on $10 a day is a good insight. I'd also recommend Running with the Kenyans

http://www.thedeludedcyclist.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dog in a hat

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phil Gaimon Pro cycling on 10 dollar a day was great.
Iron war was solid
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boys in the boat

Was sorry when I finished it

Great story and superbly written
Quote Reply
Re: I need another good book. Suggestions? [sametime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I loved Boys in the Boat.
Quote Reply
Re: I need another good book. Suggestions? [C_Hassard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
C_Hassard wrote:
During an ITU race, one of the commentators mentioned how much he liked the Brownlees' book. Can anyone back that up? I'm thinking about getting it for my next read.

I read the Brownlees' book last year.
It's pretty good I suppose, but aimed at the layman with regards to it's sport specific language and they have had really nice lives so not much in the way of personal issues.

There are some quality parts. Jonny talks pretty openly about being "the little brother" and Alistair is quite open about some of his negativity during his Achilles injury
Quote Reply
Re: I need another good book. Suggestions? [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its already been mentioned a few times, but another vote for Iron War.

I picked it up by chance in an airport. A week later I'd signed up to an Ironman despite not owning a bike or having swam in about 7 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, Chrissies book is one of the best things I've read in a long time. Super motivating and well structured.

Have also read the Brownlees but, although a good read, is nothing special and not particularly technical as you might have expected and jumping between the narration of AB/JB was strange.

My next book will be Lance Armstrongs "It's Not About The Bike". I read it years ago before the whole saga and now want to go back, re-read it and see just how much my opinion on it has changed.

Blog: http://www.coopstriblog.wordpress.com
Latest blog: Setting Goals. With or Without Gin.
Date: 10/31/2017
Quote Reply
Re: I need another good book. Suggestions? [jac2689] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jac2689 wrote:
For me, Chrissies book is one of the best things I've read in a long time. Super motivating and well structured.

Have also read the Brownlees but, although a good read, is nothing special and not particularly technical as you might have expected and jumping between the narration of AB/JB was strange.

My next book will be Lance Armstrongs "It's Not About The Bike". I read it years ago before the whole saga and now want to go back, re-read it and see just how much my opinion on it has changed.

Yeah agreed.
I was hoping for some more specific insight, but it seemed to be firmly aimed at the "I watched the Brownlees at London, and am now curious about triathlon" crowd.
Quote Reply
Re: I need another good book. Suggestions? [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andre Agassi's book was one of the best books I read last year, and I read a lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is my favorite cycling book:

http://www.amazon.com/...-Bobet/dp/187473951X

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Re: I need another good book. Suggestions? [sub-3-dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, several good "story" books. For something slightly different now, have any of the professionals actually written up anything that gives any details about their training? How is Craig Alexander's book? ("As the Crow Flies").
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it would be naïve at best to consider a pros training plan to be of any use.

Firstly: can you believe it?
Secondly: Does it apply to you?
Thirdly: What they leave out is probably more important than what they put in the book.

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crowie's book is good. It does give some insight into his training, though it's nowhere near a laid out plan of what he followed. Though what he did in training is probably only right for one person - him. I thought Macca's book was very interesting as well. He talked a lot about how he developed over he years and what his training and race schedules were like. I'm not a huge fan of him but it was worth a read.

if you want to get out of the sports genre for a bit read any of Malcolm Gladwell's books. They make you think differently and look at things from a different perspective. Plus he does talk about sports and athletics here and there.

Prev Next