Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I did not BQ today
Quote | Reply
did everything according to plan to mile 20. Started off at 7:15s for the first three miles with walking at each mile got me to 7:30s. Picked it up from there. Ran 7s or so 8-18 with some wakling to take me to 7:15s.

One thing: at mile 4 my quads started cramping! And it never stopped. At 22 it got so bad my times dropped to about 9 minutes per mile. I was cramping everywhere at 24.5 on the 1 mile of uphill to the finish. Kicked it in as hard as possibe for the last mile to eek in at 3:29.xx

Dangit. Oh well, TTT will be more fun that boston anyways and better prep for imky.

Can anyone diagnose this cramping?
Never had it before ever. Well hydrated for two weeks prior, ran a ton of hills in preparation: these hills were cake by comparison, stuck to pacing, stuck to nutrition. Slept great for two weeks leading up. Didn't sleep much the night before.

Thanks!

I am already less sore and I have tons of energy. It was dissapointing to finish so much slower especially when I held back so much all the way to 22. But, it was a fantastic course, great weather, fall colors. and 35 BUCKS!

Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: I did not BQ today [dtreeps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was about to ask how your mary went. Sorry to hear that. It is mostly just a fitness issue (well, fitness vs. the speed you want to run that is). You'll get it. Cold, dehydration, etc. can play a little, but just with my cramping last Sun in Columbus at mile 18 or so (quads), it was more from me trying to run 6:15 miles with a group for too long for my fitness level.

See 'ya in KY!

Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear that - where did you race?

Cramping in the large muscle areas is usually due to electrolyte imbalance, most likely sodium depletion. What drink/gels did you use during the race?

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: I did not BQ today [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i had perpeteum for breakfast (no electrolytes) and five minutes before I took my first powergel (w/ electrolytes). I took one every 40 minutes.

I stopped taking gels after 22 and just did gatorade b/c I was thinking it might be electrolytes.

thanks man,
Dan

Quote Reply
Re: I did not BQ today [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey man! i really don't think it was fitness as I did all the work at the right paces and I was taking it SUPER easy til the 13.1 and even then i never breathed hard until 20 or so. I think it was probably a combo of nerves (I felt like puking until after mile 1 I was so nervous!) and electrolytes. I'm going to have endurolytes with breakfast from now on before races.

Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

Yes, we will have to do some long rides on the course in KY!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always been a bit obsessive in nutrition planning, so I tend to go a bit overboard. I've used e-gels for every marathon/ultra/IM because of the high sodium content (4x more sodium than the average gel) but since have abandoned them for tastier carb boom varieties. I use electrolyte caps to supplement what I lose in the switch. I've never had a problem with cramping, so I stick with the high sodium/potassium formula.

From e-gel's website:

Magazine: Inside Triathlon (May 2005)
Article: Sticky Situation, Understanding Carbohydrate Gels
Pages: 42-47
Excerpt (page 46): from a GU rep:

Water's qualities, while helping our bodies stay hydrated, isn't enough in and of itself. The body continues to lose vital electrolytes such as potassium, calcium and most notably sodium during heavy workouts, especially on hot days. And no one includes them in any notable amounts except for Crank Sport's e-Gel.

"All of us [major gel companies] put electrolytes in our gels," says GU's Vice President of Marketing Will Garrett. "But they're for taste mostly. There's not enough in PowerGel, Clif Shot or even GU to make any impact. Only the guys at e-Gel put in enough for sustainability, but we hope you get electrolytes from your sports drink."

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Oct 21, 06 12:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mean fitness for how fast you run. I can run a 3:30 mary every other weekend. But, try to knock of 30 mins, and now I have to work pretty damn hard. Are you a heavy sweater? It was pretty cool/cold today as well. Bottom line, you won't cramp at all if you don't "overuse" the muscle (might be an 11 min/mile, but you won't cramp). There is a happy medium. Having said that, I also use Lava Salts (took 2 just before I started) and then a Gu every 40-45 mins. Sipped water and/or gatorade at the aid stations (18 of them at Columbus). Still happens if you run "too fast" when you are getting tired. That is what makes a mary (or IM for that matter) so tough towards the end of the race. Great job anyway - a 3:29 is a great run!

Quote | Reply
thanks man. I am an extremely heavy sweater but it was quite cool. I did have salt around my neck and face when i finished though.

Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had cramping issues the first three marathons and finally worked my way through it.

I dont sweat, I leak! my problem was salt depletion, or electrolites or whatever you want to call it. I usually take a lot of salt during the day before and during the race, this has cured my cramping entirely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe all the starting/stopping had anything to do with it ? Did you really switch from run to walk to run twenty times ? Is this something your body is used to ?

Maybe running even 7:25 s would have been better. (My super secret strategy for Chicago tomorrow... )
Quote Reply
Re: I did not BQ today [jefeloco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll agree with that (not stopping that is). I don't agree with stopping or walking at all (when you are trying for a decent time/BQ that is). Just slow down, jog, shuffle, whatever, pinch the cup, eat your gel, whatever, but no walking. Need to keep that neuromuscular feeling going in the legs until the line.

Quote | Reply
Might be a silly idea, but have you actually trained to walk? When I was running, I could run without a problem, but if I walked for more than a few miles I'd be sore and achy in all sorts of weird places.

"I am already less sore and I have tons of energy."

Give it time, buddy.
Quote Reply
Re: I did not BQ today [jefeloco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with those who say the numerous walk breaks are maybe not generally the best idea (although I have no idea if they are the right idea for you). That's a lot of stopping and starting (and accelerating) over 26 miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
same happened to me, mile 18. Oh well, try again next year.

I sure will

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply