Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I changed my running shoes for no good reason
Quote | Reply
I've been wearing Mizuno Wave Creations for about the last 4 years with no problems. Today, I went to the Boulder Running Company and bought a pair of Asics GT-2100s. I can't really explain it, but I just wanted a change. I feel like I'm taking an enormous risk (which is probably just an indication of risk averse I really am).
Last edited by: AmyCO: Aug 24, 05 19:28
Quote Reply
Re: I changed my running shoes for no good reason [AmyCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are such a girl.

What color?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it helps at all, I LOVE my asics.......kj

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny you mention that Amy. I wore nothing but saucony for 10 years and when I went to BRC a couple of months ago, I got Brooks. It felt really strange but I like the shoes now... :)

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've been wearing Mizuno Wave Creations for about the last 4 years with no problems. Today, I went to the Boulder Running Company and bought a pair of Asics GT-2100s. I can't really explain it, but I just wanted a change. I feel like I'm taking an enormous risk (which is probably just an indication of risk averse I really am).
And???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amy,

Just be a little cautious. The Creation is a completely neutral shoe. If you've been running in it with no problems for several years, you're probably a pretty neutral runner. The 2100 is a fairly stable stability shoe. If you're naturally neutral, it can cause you to underpronate. You'll know if you start to develop problems on the outsides of your feet, or something that feels like shin splints but isn't really in the bone but the soft tissue around the bone.

Boulder Running Co has a great reputation. I'm suprised they'd let you make that change without giving you some words of caution.

Lee Silverman
JackRabbit Sports
Quote Reply
Re: I changed my running shoes for no good reason [lsilverman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i dont' change my shoes until the company changes the model. I hate being forced to change because it takes so long to find the shoe that is just right.

just like saddles.

"the trouble with normal is - it always gets worse"

- Cockburn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lee makes a good point in his post, the Creation is nuetral although pretty stable compared to some other nuetral shoes. The 2100s added stability features especially thier IGS heel-strike system could negatively cause you to supinate excessively in some cases. As he said, if the front outside of your calves start bothering you, if you notice the shoe getting excessive compression set on the outside edge of the shoe, or if you IT band flares up at all you might want to go back to a nuetral shoe, maybe the Landreth or Nimbus if you want to give asics a try.

Then again, who knows maybe the 2100 is perfect for you and you were missing out the whole time in the Creations;) Both are great shoes btw. If you liked the Creations you should give the Waveriders a whirl as well. I actually like thier fit better.
Quote Reply
Re: I changed my running shoes for no good reason [lsilverman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was actually not as simple as I made it sound. They put me on the treadmill, videotaped my stride and noticed a slight pronation in the left foot strike (which is consistent with some ankle issues I've had, but which were mostly corrected by orthotics). I think the Asics recommendation was intended as a minor tweak. The guys at BRC were great.

By the way, I'm going to be in NY towards the end of September (hubby's there for work; I'm there for fun:) and already have your shop on my list of places to visit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I'm flat-footed, big pronator, started w/ Asics motion controls. Decided to strengthen my feet/ankles, so went to Mizuno Wave VS-1 medium stability. Adapting was tough at first, but they soon felt good, and have for 6 months or so. The motion controls now feel like Frankenstein boots. Just today, I took it down another notch to Mizuno Wave Rider 8 neutral cushion. First 7 mile run today felt good, just with the feet/ankles feeling a little tired.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
new shoes are always fun :)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually just got my first 2100s about 100 miles ago and they feel pretty darn good. The airline lost my luggage and I didn't feel like missing a long run so these were the closest to my Brooks Adrenalines. As long as you are staying in the same family (Stability, Motion Control, Cushioning) I don't think you are really taking an injury risk. The differences between brands within the same family are generally pretty subtle, things like fit, feel, minor weight differences and aesthetics. For the most part you will get a similar amount of support from similar shoes.

I'm not familiar with the Wave Creations, but since they are a stability shoe you should be OK.

-------------
"Knowledge is good" - Emil Faber
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think they are a great choice. I've been wearing this Asics for almost 20 years and this particular line since 1999.

Did you get the ones with the light blue or the black insides?
Quote Reply
Re: I changed my running shoes for no good reason [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But they won't save you money on car insurance :I
Quote Reply
Re: I changed my running shoes for no good reason [CTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They're navy on the inside. This morning's run felt fine, but of course, I'll have to wait until I get a few more miles on them.

And, yes, Vitus, they are pretty. Very pretty:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It was actually not as simple as I made it sound. They put me on the treadmill, videotaped my stride and noticed a slight pronation in the left foot strike (which is consistent with some ankle issues I've had, but which were mostly corrected by orthotics). I think the Asics recommendation was intended as a minor tweak. The guys at BRC were great.

Sorry to be a nit-picker, but if you went through this process, then you did change for a good reason. :-) Anyway, I hope the new shoes work out well.
Last edited by: burgerdp: Aug 25, 05 7:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I probably meant navy, not black, but guys are more or less color blind, right?
Quote Reply