Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I can't stand pretentious Triathetes
Quote | Reply
FROM LETSRUN.

Don't know if anyone else here also reads triathlon forums but I can't stand the pretentious of triathletes who think they know it all better than real elites. Like a recent thread on SlowTwitch where the dumb triathletes claimed that weight doesn't matter going up a mountain and aerodynamics is all that matters. Then they two claim that two time Tour de France winner Pogacar knows squat for choosing lightweight wheels and bikes for mountain top finishes. These triathletes claim they are proven by "Science" and yet are slow AF compared to real athletes. They stupidly force the real world into their falsely assumed aero "Science" and claim it is the only way when real athletes who win in the real world shows that weight matters a lot and these triathletes have no idea how to formulate equations that match reality.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't stand pretentious Triathetes [sgb2112] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sgb2112 wrote:
FROM LETSRUN.

Don't know if anyone else here also reads triathlon forums but I can't stand the pretentious of triathletes who think they know it all better than real elites. Like a recent thread on SlowTwitch where the dumb triathletes claimed that weight doesn't matter going up a mountain and aerodynamics is all that matters. Then they two claim that two time Tour de France winner Pogacar knows squat for choosing lightweight wheels and bikes for mountain top finishes. These triathletes claim they are proven by "Science" and yet are slow AF compared to real athletes. They stupidly force the real world into their falsely assumed aero "Science" and claim it is the only way when real athletes who win in the real world shows that weight matters a lot and these triathletes have no idea how to formulate equations that match reality.

They should re-read what they wrote...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Triathlons are for middle and upper class white people who hate being beat by non-white people at cheaper sports. It's like Polo, but you get a workout in and not quite as expensive. Why are you surprised they are pretentious?

I’ve found that the amount of pretentious athletes goes up with the race distance.

If I race at the local sprint and Olympic distance races, folks are chill and laid back and willing to crack jokes. Move up to 70.3 and those people dwindle. Go to a full IRONMAN event and everyone acts like they have a seat post up their rear end. Just raced IMFL and I couldn’t believe how uptight folks were.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps it's the races I've done but I didn't get that vibe from everyone. Sure several people are like that but not the majority I've met.

I've been MOP in a lot of very big races and the majority of people around me have been very down to earth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m a little confused by your motivation. But I’ll bite.

Agreed. I can’t stand pretentious educators. I can’t stand pretentious law enforcement officers. I can’t stand pretentious physicians. I can’t stand pretentious Baristas. Welcome to…people.

Congrats on IMFL.

I enjoy hanging around here. The majority of stuff doesn’t pertain to/effect me directly. But I still find the discussions and debate interesting. And then there are lots of worthwhile and friendly advice that gets passed around.

I don’t hang out on Let’s Run much, but enough to know the schmuck factor can be pretty high there.

So…Happy Saturday.
Last edited by: WannaB: Nov 13, 21 13:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“Pretentious” feels like the wrong word to me, but I would concede that many triathletes could stand to be a bit more self-aware, to put it mildly.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't stand pretentious Triathetes [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm an ex-runner.

It's simply a fact of life that many runners will diss triathletes, and vice versa.

It's silly really. The big picture is - we are all being active and setting goals.

I only swim.
I used to run. (31:09 10k)
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The type you describe sounds more stupid than pretentious. But maybe it’s both!

As said above there are many decent normal friendly people at those races, and yes also up to 140.6. The idiots stand out, but don’t let them make you miss the many amazing and inspiring people one can meet at any triathlon races.

Last year at IMFL there was Nikic racing, and thanks to him, but not only, the kindness and generosity display that day was truly amazing. Sorry for your bad experience in Panama City, but congrats on your race!
Quote Reply
Re: I can't stand pretentious Triathetes [Skuj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skuj wrote:
I'm an ex-runner.

It's simply a fact of life that many runners will diss triathletes, and vice versa.

It's silly really. The big picture is - we are all being active and setting goals.

The real big picture is that it’s just swimming, running, and biking and doesn’t matter at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL @ the race card... You automatically win sir. But since you are still here (I don't know why you want to engage with white people who hate being beat by non-white people)... I'll bite.

I didn't know LetsRun was mostly frequented by non-white sprinters. I am great at the 1 inch sprint!

sgb2112 wrote:

Triathlons are for middle and upper class white people who hate being beat by non-white people at cheaper sports. It's like Polo, but you get a workout in and not quite as expensive. Why are you surprised they are pretentious?

I’ve found that the amount of pretentious athletes goes up with the race distance.

Sounds like the difference between a participation event and a competitive race. Or charity ride vs. cat 2 crit. Or casual running club members vs. wave 1 boston hopefuls. Or Wave 1 tough mudder racer vs. Sunday afternoon participants. Or JV team vs varsity team. College club sport vs... (you get the point) Now, with covid and race cancellations, how many people do you think would be treating IMFL as an A race vs a casual event?

if "everyone" I met acted pretentious, maybe I'll take a look at how I act and what kind of people I attract. Maybe I act casual at a sprint event but act nervous / competitive at a long distance event. People will respond accordingly.

For example, If I go on a triathlon forum, acting self righteous, and start with a statement attacking all triathletes and claiming they are racist... With an anecdote (everyone).. with foul language (e.g. up their rear end).. and without a specific example... I won't be surprised if people respond accordingly...

sgb2112 wrote:

If I race at the local sprint and Olympic distance races, folks are chill and laid back and willing to crack jokes. Move up to 70.3 and those people dwindle. Go to a full IRONMAN event and everyone acts like they have a seat post up their rear end. Just raced IMFL and I couldn’t believe how uptight folks were.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Nov 13, 21 15:23
Quote Reply
Re: I can't stand pretentious Triathetes [Skuj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skuj wrote:
I'm an ex-runner.

Bah, shouldn’t both groups be dissing CrossFit people?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most people at all levels/distances are nice down-to-earth people. But I have to agree that the proportion of snobby, self-absorbed types increases as the distance increases.

Could be partially explained by the fact that it's a time intensive solo sport that leaves lots of room to show off expensive gear and share "great" accomplishments about themselves. It also gets very expensive for 70.3 and 140.6 just to participate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“Don’t be that guy” reminders all around at all triathlon races. Incredibly annoying, but also good reminders for myself.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't stand pretentious Triathetes [tlc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
'"don't be that guy" reminders' could be a good thread of quotes and observations
Quote Reply
Re: I can't stand pretentious Triathetes [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Animalmom2 wrote:
Skuj wrote:
I'm an ex-runner.

Nah. We should be dissing willfully inactive people.

I only swim.
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't stand pretentious Triathetes [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
also, can't tell if troll or not.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't stand pretentious Triathetes [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Animalmom2 wrote:

Even about 95% of people who do CrossFit are pretty normal and down-to-earth. Just trying to get or stay fit. The 5% who try to make it "career" (either through elite competition or as a beautiful-looking "influencer") are what the world sees.
Last edited by: trail: Nov 13, 21 16:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sgb2112 wrote:
FROM LETSRUN.

It probably just reflects the kind of people the writer attracts to themselves. Birds of a feather flock together, right ?
Quote Reply
Re: I can't stand pretentious Triathetes [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So weird, my experience with most triathletes at races is the opposite- so of the most fun people before and after the race. A bit better than other styles of racing I have done.

Sounds like someone got banned or laughed out of Slowtwitch. Yes, this place isn't perfect but welcome to the internet. . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uh. Using Lets Run as the soap box from which to preach is pretty funny.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't stand pretentious Triathetes [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me just say that as a former runner I used to post at LR a lot, and now as a swimmer, I post here at ST a lot, and I can say, without any hesitation at all, that ST is a much nicer/better place than LR. :)

I only swim.
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't stand pretentious Triathetes [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elf6c wrote:
So weird, my experience with most triathletes at races is the opposite- so of the most fun people before and after the race. A bit better than other styles of racing I have done.

Sounds like someone got banned or laughed out of Slowtwitch. Yes, this place isn't perfect but welcome to the internet. . .

Agreed

40 years of tris I have always found other triathletes be fun, welcoming and friendly

Then again I feel that way about people from all over the world I have met regardless of triathlete or not
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reminder to go reread this amazing post:

Triathletes! Stop Being So Defensive!!!: Triathlon Forum: Slowtwitch Forums
Quote Reply
Re: I can't stand pretentious Triathetes [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Over the past 4 decades, I’ve become a lot less pretentious. The bigger the race, the bigger the parade of weak swimmers who overtake me. Many offer encouragement. I return the favor during the run to those who are “still learning.” I certainly would not pretentiously say that I was “running them down,” although I think that race directors should still require athletes to put their age on their calf.
Last edited by: Wild Horse: Nov 13, 21 17:40
Quote Reply
Re: I can't stand pretentious Triathetes [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
elf6c wrote:

Agreed

40 years of tris I have always found other triathletes be fun, welcoming and friendly

Then again I feel that way about people from all over the world I have met regardless of triathlete or not

I agree with everything said in this quote.

And a big laugh at the title of this thread. I can't stand pretentious Triathletes, but you post here on Slowtwitch. You want to some fun times go read threads go to Facebook pathetic triathletes where newbies want to argue with long time coaches like Brian Stover.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply

Prev Next