Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I bought Omni - my first impressions [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to get a pre bike fit this weekend for my first tri bike (so excited!), and the Omni is one of the frames I’m interested in.

I have a wahoo kicker and plan to do all winter training indoors and some indoor training during the warmer weather as well. Is there an issue with beam bikes on direct drive trainers or is that a myth? I haven’t really seen any videos of beam bikes of any brand on trainers. Easiest example is triathlon taren since he has a ventum bike, does a lot of indoor training, and never uses his ventum indoors.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: I bought Omni - my first impressions [ors0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ors0 wrote:
I am going to get a pre bike fit this weekend for my first tri bike (so excited!), and the Omni is one of the frames I’m interested in.

I have a wahoo kicker and plan to do all winter training indoors and some indoor training during the warmer weather as well. Is there an issue with beam bikes on direct drive trainers or is that a myth? I haven’t really seen any videos of beam bikes of any brand on trainers. Easiest example is triathlon taren since he has a ventum bike, does a lot of indoor training, and never uses his ventum indoors.

Thanks!
Well, the Ventum One and the TriRig Omni aren't beam bikes. Beam bikes are ones like the Dimond, or the P5-X, or the Ceepo Venom, which lack seat tubes.

Regardless, all of the aforementioned bikes lack seat stays (the frame member that goes from your rear wheel up to your seat tube). And any bikes without seat stays will flex a bit more on a trainer compared to a bike with seat stays - it's a matter of your rear wheel being locked in place, with a very long distance up to your saddle which creates leverage to move laterally. Whether or not this is problematic depends entirely on the frame maker, and whether they contemplated this kind of flex load, which exists exclusively in the trainer environment, and not out on the road.

Omni is perfectly safe to use on a trainer. No rider weight limit, no trainer limitations whatsoever.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: I bought Omni - my first impressions [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the quick reply and lesson on the terminology. Just gotta wait to see what the numbers say on the bike fit and take it from there.
Quote Reply
Re: I bought Omni - my first impressions [Trigirl357] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Omni went to Hawaii I used a PremierBike hard travel case. Super easy . Took off the alpha one mono post and extensions one bolt. Pull the seat post and saddle one bolt. Took off the speed play pedals that is all. No base bar, headset, or fork has to come off. Case, complete bike, pump and other items easily was under the 50 pound limit
Quote Reply
Re: I bought Omni - my first impressions [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Minor suggestion for future travels: I always recommend removing the rear derailleur regardless of the bike or case. It's a simple thing to do and it reduces the risk of a bent/broken derailleur hanger.
Quote Reply
Re: I bought Omni - my first impressions [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Minor suggestion for future travels: I always recommend removing the rear derailleur regardless of the bike or case. It's a simple thing to do and it reduces the risk of a bent/broken derailleur hanger.

I will add that it is just as simple to put it back on. No adjustments required. I did it and I ain't no mechanic!
Quote Reply
Re: I bought Omni - my first impressions [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

I will add that it is just as simple to put it back on. No adjustments required. I did it and I ain't no mechanic!
Agreed! That is good practice for any bike.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any good ideas on where to place the SRAM eTap blip box on the Omni? It’s the newer, smaller blip box.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: I bought Omni - my first impressions [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the slightly bigger one. I inverted it (upside down) and placed it under my torpedo cage (attached to right aerobar). It is protected pretty well under there. You can rotate it out of the clip mount when you need to make adjustments and it can stay attached when you dismantle the bike for travel.
Last edited by: Trigirl357: Sep 21, 19 6:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The underside of the Alpha One dragonfly is a great spot, which you can see in this article:

https://www.tririg.com/...1x_Review&num=36

Another great spot for the new AXS blipbox is just to store it in the Omni storage box behind the stem.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
The underside of the Alpha One dragonfly is a great spot, which you can see in this article:

Another great spot for the new AXS blipbox is just to store it in the Omni storage box behind the stem.

How do you get an M4 bolt that goes into the blip box threaded into the M5 Dragonfly?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That bike looks better every time I look at it. So beautiful.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
TriRig wrote:

How do you get an M4 bolt that goes into the blip box threaded into the M5 Dragonfly?
The M4 bolt actually passes through the Dragonfly, without engaging the M5 threads in the Dragonfly. Instead, it threads into the M4 threads in the BlipBox. Does that make sense?

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotcha.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Day 3 riding my omni, now happy but like most high end bespoke products (I raced yachts, snowboards and have an Italian car which is unusual in Thailand) you need some patience to get to happy times vs off the shelf stuff.
1 it's for sure an engineering marvel, ruthlessly effective from what I can see in thinking to improve aerodynamics, excellent build manual (according to ppl better than me who put it together). More bike than I probably need or can justify but u only live once. Cockpit and adjustment super easy
2 Tririg does their best to future proof, I have already been sent upgraded delta cover, armcups and a new fork = never heard another manufacturer do this 3 months after purchase
3 be aware of: it definitely flexes on the stationary trainer, apparently not an issue but a bit unnerving the first 10min then I just ride it. The bta butterfly set up is very efficient but finding a solution to mount a bottle plus garmin effectively is a work in progress..this is one thing I haven't quite solved. The bottle cages from tririg are also beautiful, mounting bts beware of their edges, sacrificed a pair of pants on their altar already, u can't easily adjust the vertical position of the bottles cages relative to the saddle I guess since its aero up high anyhow - just need to be careful. Battery Di2 is in the seat post void if I did again would go 1x mech ymmv. I feel a bit more storage in frame or somewhere would be good but I guess we are racing not furniture movers. Weight of bike all in is slightly more than my canyon sl mech set up. Delta cover with the pins is OK but fit is a little agricultural will add velcro circles on everything that can fall off including this
4 issues - just one really I had some issues getting the cockpit set up stiff enough, I believe its specific to my bike and setup up, already using the alloy alpha one post and a wide-ish elbow pad setting resulted in a noticeable ability to click/creak noticeably left/right for the pads - new parts + carbon paste and overtightening the front single screw plus the 2 tilt bolts has resolved the issue to stop all movement but still is creaking a little - I believe riding narrower elbows on this set up is important + all monopost setups eg p3x etc seem to have a similar degree of movement to what I have now. Talked to tririg about this and their supply of a few new parts I think has almost resolved it. Tririg were intially a little slow to respond but I think it was they were maybe figuring out whether to send a new fork (they did) otherwise has been good/great to deal with for the most part now and before when I bought brakes etc from them on my old bike

Price wise hard to find a better deal o. A bona fide superbike as long as u don't want a disc brake bike (I don't because I am old and walked to school in bare feet blah blah blah).

I recommend.
Quote Reply
Re: I bought Omni - my first impressions [Kipstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I won't use it on trainer so that's not a concern for me.

I too am going to buy some velcro dots to place on certain areas of the bike, including the delta.

As for a BTA solution:

Vision DS1

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
TriRig wrote:

The M4 bolt actually passes through the Dragonfly, without engaging the M5 threads in the Dragonfly. Instead, it threads into the M4 threads in the BlipBox. Does that make sense?

Bike is finally together. Looks great!

My front tire rubs pretty hard against the tire shield part of the Delta cover. Any suggestions? I need a few millimeters more of clearance. I really don't want to fart around with all that's involved with cutting it (nor should I need to) since it was supposedly pre-cut to fit the bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same thing used a dermal and rotor sand disc worked really well. I had to hog quite a bit out of my Delta on my Omni. Looking from the front you can not see that I did anything
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

I too am going to buy some velcro dots to place on certain areas of the bike, including the delta.

As for a BTA solution:

Vision DS1
[]

Thanks for this looks perfect! Thanks everyone in this thread - helped me a lot both in managing expectation before I bought as well as knowing what was normal or not normal too. #slowtwitchomniforthewin
Last edited by: Kipstar: Sep 22, 19 16:51
Quote Reply
Re: I bought Omni - my first impressions [Kipstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait until you fly with the bike for the first time. Two screws to completely remove the front fork from the frame = travel case bliss. You will become a super fan then. I've had my Omni for a year and I am in love with this bike. I have flown with it three times to include international. I haven't had any issues with the trainer (Elite Direto) and I have used it heavily. I also have had issues with the TriRig bottle cages (way too tight for bottles) so I used my old Xlab ones. Also torpedo has a couple of different computer adapter kits as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
TriRig wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
TriRig wrote:

My front tire rubs pretty hard against the tire shield part of the Delta cover. Any suggestions? I need a few millimeters more of clearance. I really don't want to fart around with all that's involved with cutting it (nor should I need to) since it was supposedly pre-cut to fit the bike.

If you put a washer or two under the Alpha One stem you can effectively raise the Delta cover to give more vertical clearance for your tire if that is the issue. Should be able give you a couple extra millimeters without filing anything.

Adam Feigh
Pianko Law, Speed Hound, Castelli, Sailfish, Base
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

As for a BTA solution:

Vision DS1

If you use 2 M4 button head screws instead of pins in the top of the Delta cover you can completely eliminate the need for Velcro. Just screw them in from the top of the stem and the cover will absolutely not budge.

I use the Speedfil cage and a Kappa together when I run double bta (with a Wolf Tooth b rad mount). For a single bta I think the cleanest most stable setup is probably a Kappa cage with a K Edge Splayd garmin mount under the dragon fly.

Adam Feigh
Pianko Law, Speed Hound, Castelli, Sailfish, Base
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

Need to update the signature now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly how mine is done

TriRig wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
TriRig wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: I bought Omni - my first impressions [Feighathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Feighathlon wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
TriRig wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
TriRig wrote:

If you put a washer or two under the Alpha One stem you can effectively raise the Delta cover to give more vertical clearance for your tire if that is the issue. Should be able give you a couple extra millimeters without filing anything.

I'm going to put in one of the standard 5mm round stem spacers under the Alpha One stem. That "should" give me the clearance I need hopefully without mucking up the steerer tube length and making me use a different fork topper. I will also replace the set screws with M4 screws.

Thanks for the comments. Sometimes the most obvious solutions aren't obvious. :-)

Last edited by: The GMAN: Sep 23, 19 5:52
Quote Reply

Prev Next