Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I am both amazed and proud and I would like to thank Dr. Coggan . . . [brandonecpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, but let me aks you, are you a tri-ath-a-lete?

Don't be so tense - maybe you should lay off the ex-spresso.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: I am both amazed and proud and I would like to thank Dr. Coggan . . . [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Add a little emotion from both sides... and the fact that neither side has the evidence to prove their case and these threads ensue."

okay, thanks. i just wanted to make sure i'm still up to date, and that nothing happened during the last 1300+ posts that has changed the dynamic. carry on.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: I am both amazed and proud and I would like to thank Dr. Coggan . . . [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"Add a little emotion from both sides... and the fact that neither side has the evidence to prove their case and these threads ensue."

okay, thanks. i just wanted to make sure i'm still up to date, and that nothing happened during the last 1300+ posts that has changed the dynamic. carry on.

One thing I learned when I was in nuclear submarines and we would go out on those 2 month cruises. We would get back and read the paper and find out the news was the same, only the names and places had changed. Here, unfortunately, even the names hardly change. Joaquin is the first fresh name in a long time which probably set this thrad apart and we might (sometime in the future) actually get some real power data or race results.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: I am both amazed and proud and I would like to thank Dr. Coggan . . . [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awesome response!!!
Quote Reply
Re: I am both amazed and proud and I would like to thank Dr. Coggan . . . [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
[snip]

let me see if i understand the issues here.

there are people who believe that engaging hip flexors, and perhaps other muscles that aid the recovering leg, is generally accretive to faster cycling overall. those (like joe friel) who ascribe to the idea of a pedal stroke exhibiting a "flatter torque profile" fall into this camp as does, obviously, powercranks and its owner frank day. you can also throw in the people who ascribe to isolated leg training, one-leg drills, and the old (andy will remember this) "spin coach" sold by ralph ray.

then there are those, and i think perhaps ed coyle (u of texas) might be the best known exemplar, who believe that you just stomp down hard on the pedal, not unlike what we used to do as 3-year-olds on our tricycles. these people believe that what you do on the downstroke is what matters almost entirely, and engaging your hip flexors or flattening your torque profile is counterproductive to being a good cyclist.

am i on the right track so far?
Do those in the second camp believe that it is "counterproductive" or simply that it is not productive? Can this second camp be divided in to two subgroups? And what is meant by "good cyclist?" Would those in the second camp, regardless of whether they think it is counterproductive or merely not productive, still agree that there is some benefit to engaging the hip flexors for certain aspects of cycling, such as sprinting or a powerful in-saddle or out-of-saddle acceleration/attack?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Joaquin is the first fresh name in a long time which probably set this thrad apart and we might (sometime in the future) actually get some real power data or race results."

You have said for years data forthcoming. With all of the critics you think will be silenced and profit to be had, what is stopping you from producing it somewhere, somehow?
Quote Reply
Re: I am both amazed and proud and I would like to thank Dr. Coggan . . . [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, I have a thought on that.......................What? : )

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for starting the liar, liar thread. And, then I would like to thank Joaquin for showing up and defending his honor. This thread has just surpassed the "drills vs pc's" thread of several years ago as the most active PC thread ever and it is clear it still has legs. It may not pass the Sergio thread as the "best" ever but I doubt this is going to die out soon. Nothing like a little controversy to get people thinking. Thank you Dr. Coggan.

Congratulations to you Frank. You just started a thread that has just gotten more interesting than "lair, liar" and "Drills vs PCs" put together, and we're only up to ~40 posts!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for summing that up..... I gave up after the second page.... anyone who read all 2o somthing pages... well, you're a trooper!

"Pace is just a matter of having enough RedBull..." -Rappstar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Sergio thread captured the hearts and souls of many forum members. It will remain "The King." The "liar, liar..." thread is more akin to "The Prince of Darkness." :)

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: I am both amazed and proud and I would like to thank Dr. Coggan . . . [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep......rappstar,,, the sergio thread is a classic.....

as for the Liar Liar..... more of a boring thread where the participant would gain a lot more to train than waste there time there.... it s boring... if you want your crank to spin fast.... pass more time practicing turning them fast....

that include you paulo.... go run...dont do post anymore on this very very boring thread...

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: I am both amazed and proud and I would like to thank Dr. Coggan . . . [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since I'm a relative johnny-come-lately around here, I don't know what "the Sergio" thread is about. I am now fully intrigued, but I can't find an epic thread with hundreds of posts about The Sergio. Can someone please direct me?

thanks, Rudolph
Quote Reply
Re: I am both amazed and proud and I would like to thank Dr. Coggan . . . [Randolph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=980672

that should work

Grant

Grant
----------------------------------------------------
Proudly sponsored by Desoto Sports
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did we just experience some revisionist history? Specifically, Paulo making a derogatory comment to Frank Day, you calling him on it and both posts being disappeared?

If not my imagination, why?

p.s. I do not have a dog in this fight, I am interested in learning what prompts such a response by you.
Quote Reply
Re: I am both amazed and proud and I would like to thank Dr. Coggan . . . [cyclonehockey21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...iew_flat;post=980672

that should work

Grant

Thanks alot Grant. Man, that thing is 45 pages. The rest don't even come close..... I clearly didn't try hard enough to find it, given it's called "The Sergio Thread"......

Is it just me or in johnnyo's photo on the first page, does it look like the Sergio is friends with Mr Bean?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't pay attention to the PC or the weightlifting threads that much, but every time I've glanced at them, it seems to be filled with

1. people that have used PCs/Weights and like them/think they're beneficial
2. people that have never used them, deny any benefit because of the lack of a scientific study, and argue with religious zeal against using them.
Quote Reply
Re: I am both amazed and proud and I would like to thank Dr. Coggan . . . [Tri N OC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I am interested in learning what prompts such a response by you."

i don't like hosting excessively insulting comments.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: I am both amazed and proud and I would like to thank Dr. Coggan . . . [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
really? the guy says "mus-kle"?
Ed is from Queens, NY, so no, he doesn't speak with a German accent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
there are those, and i think perhaps ed coyle (u of texas) might be the best known exemplar, who believe that you just stomp down hard on the pedal, not unlike what we used to do as 3-year-olds on our tricycles. these people believe that what you do on the downstroke is what matters almost entirely, and engaging your hip flexors or flattening your torque profile is counterproductive to being a good cyclist.

am i on the right track so far?
No, at least not in using Ed as an examplar of the position you describe, as in fact he's still a faithful believer in the concept of "spreading the work around".
Quote Reply
Re: I am both amazed and proud and I would like to thank Dr. Coggan . . . [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"as in fact he's still a faithful believer in the concept of "spreading the work around"."

i'm going to have to go back and investigate that. i spent a couple of days with several of his alums in austin two years ago, and i left there with the view that he believed that hip extension was the only thing that mattered.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: I am both amazed and proud and I would like to thank Dr. Coggan . . . [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
really? the guy says "mus-kle"?
Ed is from Queens, NY, so no, he doesn't speak with a German accent.

i've been had!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
...and engaging your hip flexors or flattening your torque profile is counterproductive to being a good cyclist.

Not counterproductive, just not worthwhile to train for specifically and not proven to be 'better' when compared to your self selected pedalling style.

My 2 cents...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"as in fact he's still a faithful believer in the concept of "spreading the work around"."

i'm going to have to go back and investigate that. i spent a couple of days with several of his alums in austin two years ago, and i left there with the view that he believed that hip extension was the only thing that mattered.
I think you misunderstand: Ed's view of the situation (and that of any exercise physiologist who knows anything about cycling) is far more complex than the simple either/or scenario you have presented.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I think you misunderstand: Ed's view of the situation (and that of any exercise physiologist who knows anything about cycling) is far more complex than the simple either/or scenario you have presented."

i'm sure that coyle has much more to say about the subject than simply "stomp down on the pedals." but i find it interesting that coyle's views are more closely associated (according to you) with the flat torque profile camp than representative of the other side.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next