Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I am a little frustrated
Quote | Reply
Ok, I admit. I am a bit of a know it all. I try to learn as much as I can about my hobbies. Here is the situation at hand.

I ride an 07 Specialized Transition. My older brother rides one as well. He went into the LBS that we perchased our bikes at and asked to have an ultegra crank placed on order and he would pay for it when it arrived. Well, it arrived today and when we went down to pay for it. I noticed that it was a 6500 model and not the 6600. Now, mind you that indeed the bike that he owns is a nine speed model. However, The bb on his bike is an FSA Hollowtech style bottom bracket. He person behind the counter said that he didn't notice that the bb type and so he said he would order us a bottom bracket for an additional $40. He has an FSA Gossemer Crank and wants to get an ultegra 6600 crank. Will the 10 Speed ultegra crank fit the 9 speed bike.
I am kinda urked by this seeing as how I don't know who even equips there bikes with octilink 9 speed cranks anymore. I'm sure its nice stuff but I don't think that it is as nice as the stock stuff that is on the bike. Am I really makeing a big deal over nothing?
Quote Reply
Re: I am a little frustrated [Timbo293] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he needs a new bottom bracket regardless, as the FSA "Hollowtech style" bottom brackets are not compatible with Shimano 6600 cranks.

So changing to Shimano cranks will require a new bottom bracket regardless of if the cranks are 6500 or 6600. Will the 6600 cranks work? I believe so, as the only difference is that the chainrings will be slightly narrower for the 10 speed chain. The chainrings will wear out faster, so unless this is a temporary step while upgrading the entire drive train to 10 speed I really can't see why you wouldn't save the money and just get the 6500 series stuff.

Paul

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey. I'm still on octalink!

that said, did you specifically say the new ultegra crank? is the length correct?
I guess it also depends on how much you're paying. Nashbar has the 6500 for 60$ right now...

No problems with a 10 speed crank from what I've heard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am kinda urked by this seeing as how I don't know who even equips there bikes with octilink 9 speed cranks anymore.

It is honestly every bit as good as, and in some ways better than, the "new and improved" external BB systems. Like the other guy said, it will work perfectly, and you need a new BB anyway, regardless of which system you go with. If you specifically wanted the 6600 Ultegra, IMO you should have asked for it at the time of purchase. In fairness, the shop should have clarified with you as well, but I don't know what the conversation was.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: I am a little frustrated [More is MORE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like Paul said, the FSA BB wouldn't have worked with either crank, anyways. If he ends up with a 6600, it comes with an external bb - you DO, however, need to buy cups to fit that bb to your frame. So regardless of whether he ends up with a 6500 crank or a 6600 crank, he's gonna be ditching the bb that came with the FSA and spending additional cash on something to fit the new crank on.

My vote would be to keep the 9-speed crank and get the appropriate bb for it - it's from the same model line as the rest of his drivetrain, which can certainly help with shift quality. It's also DEFINITELY an upgrade over the POS gossamer crank he's got on there now, even if it is a little outdated. It'll also be far cheaper than a 6600 crank and cups.

The 10-speed 6600 crank will definitely work too, but it wasn't specifically designed to work with 9-speed stuff, and it's more money.

PS - yes, I do ride a bike outfitted with octalink. And, yes, I do really like it. It's good technology for dirt cheap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He will need the shimano BB anyways, the others arent compatible, I have seen it not work both with fsa and truvative BBs
Quote Reply