Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ITU Abu Dhabi start lists
Quote | Reply
Lists are up and all the main players will be there. Anyone think there will be any surprises this year? On the women's side, it's great to see Anne Haug's name back on the list.....I wondered what happened to her last year as she started a couple of the early races, but then disappeared. Nicola Spirig is also there along with Gwen, Jenkins, and Stimpson. Can't wait for the ITU races to get started!

http://wts.triathlon.org/...lon_abu_dhabi/270293
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Abu Dhabi start lists [trival] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As was pointed out by somebody on Twitter though, these start lists aren't that accurate given the fairly liberal policies for withdrawal that federations have to use the "big names" and then sub as needed.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Abu Dhabi start lists [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, one can always hope.

Anyone care to speculate on who might be the "breakout" star for the year (might not win but might have really noticeable performances). The French have Coninx who has won both the junior and U23 titles (ala A Brownlee) and should be interesting to watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These start lists are indeed misleading. Vicky Holland is down as a starter but she can't currently run and will be out of action until London (May 31) at the earliest. And this is probably true for many others.

The Brownlees are definitely going and Alistair has had the best winter's training in living memory (no injuries!) and I should think he will be favourite for Auckland which is an Olympic distance race with hills. Abu Dhabi is a sprint distance but they have yet to publish the bike course but in all likelihood, it will be flat and it'll come down to a footrace. So Mola has a good chance, given his speed over 5K.

As for breakout stars, Coninx is a candidate although he doesn't appear to be a blisteringly quick runner which is what any breakout star needs to be. I'd keep an eye on another French athlete, Pujades. If anything has changed, it is that there are even more strong swimmer/bikers (Pujades for example) which may yet ensure breakaways from the likes of Mola and Murray on even flat courses.

But exciting times.
Last edited by: FeketeBlob: Feb 6, 15 3:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just Malloy and Shoemaker for the US men. I assume that is based on points (and maybe Hunter holding back)?

6 US women, including Sarah True and Katie Zaferes! Gonna take me a race or two to get used to their married names...

Is Connix not a front pack runner?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Abu Dhabi start lists [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I think Feketebob is right......Coninx has not shown so far that he's a blistering fast runner. In Hamburg sprint last year, he was 30 seconds off the leaders, and looking at his other run times, there's nothing too spectacular. The French team has some great athletes.......I just wish they wouldn't sit in on the bike so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will be interesting to see how Nicola Spirig, Henen Jenkins, Jodie Stimpson, Kirsten Sweetland and Paul Findlay do against Gwen Jorgenson. Wish Lisa Norden and Non Stanford were going to be there.

jaretj
Last edited by: jaretj: Feb 6, 15 8:31
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Abu Dhabi start lists [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm excited to see how Paula does this season. Seems to be training very hard

Team Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Abu Dhabi start lists [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
It will be interesting to see how Nicola Spirig, Henen Jenkins, Jodie Stimpson, Kirsten Sweetland and Paul Findlay do against Gwen Jorgenson. Wish Lisa Norden and Non Stanford were going to be there.

jaretj

Lisa Norden is now on the list too.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 "Anyone care to speculate on who might be the "breakout" star for the year (might not win but might have really noticeable performances)."

I think probably Henri Schoeman - strong swimmer and if his run has improved he'll be on the front pack. Also speculate that Murray and Mola will have standout performances again this year.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Abu Dhabi start lists [JEI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Luis, Le Corre, Coninx, Hauss, Diemunsch :p

sorry, but the french team is coming together this year. Add Pujades and Raphael and the french have a lot of great swimmers and some of them can finish the job, it might change the dynamic.

Also, I believe this year, we are going to see a new kind of domestique... (offensive). It will be interesting if Phil Grave is really getting a start soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No Alistair Brownlee on start list :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alan Webb in there instead of Joe Maloy?

I thought Maloy was supposed to be in for USA along with Shoemaker. Anyone know what's up with that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trival wrote:
Yeah, I think Feketebob is right......Coninx has not shown so far that he's a blistering fast runner. In Hamburg sprint last year, he was 30 seconds off the leaders, and looking at his other run times, there's nothing too spectacular. The French team has some great athletes.......I just wish they wouldn't sit in on the bike so much.
Dorian Coninx has just run a 29:40 10k in Cannes one week ago... I'm pretty sure it was his first ever sub-30 10k. He's in top shape and improving fast.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Abu Dhabi start lists [nchristi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Dorian Coninx has just run a 29:40 10k in Cannes one week ago... I'm pretty sure it was his first ever sub-30 10k. He's in top shape and improving fast.

Should be some fast racing this year........still hard to fathom how fast these guys/gals can run after coming off the bike. It looks like the young French women who were pretty impressive in the team relay last year will also be racing, so some new faces may be up front. There will be some exciting races this weekend!
Quote Reply