Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ITU AG World Championship Edmonton - Bike rental?
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this is the right forum, but I have a bit of an odd request. Me and my girlfriend will be racing the ITU AG World Championships on September 1. We live in Australia, and it's the start of a 5 month trip around South America so we're planning on just renting a bike as we can't fly with them, and shipping them from/to Australia is crazy expensive.

I've reached out to pretty much every bike shop in Edmonton that I could find to see if they do road bike rentals, but none of them do unfortunately. I've also tried reaching out to the local tri clubs (STARRT/ETC) without any luck so far.

I'm not familiar in the area, but does anyone know a (road) bike rental place around Edmonton, or perhaps a cycling/tri club that might be able to help out?

PS: We're both not Australian, so can't ask the local federation to assist.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU AG World Championship Edmonton - Bike rental? [PP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently Mountain Madness Tours just started offering Felt road bike rentals. From their Facebook page:

Quote:

Mountain Madness Tours is pleased to announce we can now rent brand new Felt road bikes to people on our Jasper to Banff bike tours and to the general public in Edmonton this summer. We are expecting to have our new rental fleet of bikes available in about a weeks time. Contact us in the mean time if you are interested and want to find out more.

I've never used them or anything but worth a shot.

[edit] Just looked in a bit more detail - they do it through Element, a local tri store. The owner/mechanic there, Cam, is really awesome and they're great to deal with.
Last edited by: brandonblanck: May 9, 14 19:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Call a shop with a bike racing team. As for the team captains contact info. He will prob help you find a bike to rent....not likely from the shop but for your needs that won't mater.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you racing sprint or oly? Flying to Calgary or direct to Edmonton?

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: ITU AG World Championship Edmonton - Bike rental? [brandonblanck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, much appreciated!! Reached out to Element earlier but didn't get a reply (yet), only just noticed the website mentions it as well now. Anyway, it's all sorted - booked it through Mountain Madness Tours.

RealAlbertan, doing the Olympic distance and driving in from Vancouver and flying out of Edmonton. I did hear about a bike rental place in Calgary, but that wouldn't work for us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats a long drive...

Quote Reply
Re: ITU AG World Championship Edmonton - Bike rental? [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's also a long holiday :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what size do you need?
how picky are you?

there are lots of triathletes here that may lend you a bike.[ I am from Edmonton- and some how Edmonton ended up being a bit of a triathlon mecca ]
I have a 54 cm Cannondale tri bike- a bit older- I can't remember right now just how old. old enough to be aluminum. I use it strictly for indoor training- geometry and all that. but it is a good bike none the less.
also a 54 cm cervelo 2014 s5. this is an aero road bike. and it is my new baby!
I would need to 'feel the trust'.
i use a cervelo p3 for my own racing. no one touches this but myself.

think of it as payback to the tri community and a life changing trip to new Zealand in 1990 [ I know Australia is not the same ]

I really doubt you are going to find much in the way of rentals for tri bikes in Edmonton. you could try 'velocity cycle' or 'way past fast' or 'united cycle, or 'pedal head' or 'element'. those are the 'higher end' shops. you might find a shop to rent a couple bikes that normally wouldn't- but I think they would rather not set a precedent.
but you can rent a Segway - highly doubt they are itu legal ;)
forget Calgary - it is a 4 hour drive. less if you know how to use the speed on highway 2 to your advantage, and you can drive on the 'right' side of the road.
I know tons of triathletes here. and actually very few of them that are doing the itu race.

i hope you will find Canada, alberta, and edmonton in particular a welcoming and rewarding trip.

if anyone else out there wants to pick my brain- feel welcome.

BTW - this is my first post on slowtwitch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a 55cm alum P3 or 56cm R3 available in Edmonton for a case of beer
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Turns out I am in the same boat -- travelling from NZ and not wanting to drag a bike between sisters and the ITU race. Have checked out the rental shops, but I probably looking at half a step up on those bikes. Would welcome any pointers towards where I could find something to suit a 5'11" age grouper.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU AG World Championship Edmonton - Bike rental? [malcolm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calgary is 3 hours... and actually only 2.5 hours to the Edmonton airport...

Look on the map for a place called Leduc. That's where the airport is ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Checkout spinmeister.com. It's pretty new, but maybe by next year there will be more people listing.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU AG World Championship Edmonton - Bike rental? [quadlt250] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you still have either of those bikes and your thirst? As well as the ITU race I am seeing sisters on each side of Canada and the idea of dragging my bike everywhere is not not that exciting....
Quote Reply
Re: ITU AG World Championship Edmonton - Bike rental? [Tonto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
United Cycle is advertising they are doing bike rentals for Worlds: http://bikes.unitedcycle.com/

The flyer (http://bikes.unitedcycle.com/...TUBikeRental-Web.pdf) just has road bikes, but if you contact them I wouldn't be surprised if you can get clip on aero bars too. A road bike for worlds isn't that bad of a choice, 6 hills and lots of cornering.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU AG World Championship Edmonton - Bike rental? [GrumpyCat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah and rough roads too. United Cycle is doing wheel rentals too now according to their web page.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU AG World Championship Edmonton - Bike rental? [Tonto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes they are still available if you need to borrow for the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be in Edmonton for the race weekend but not racing.
I might be convinced to lend out my TT bike... it's fairly small (~51cm). I'm 172cm in height.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU AG World Championship Edmonton - Bike rental? [quadlt250] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi quadlt250 - not sure how we get in touch but you could try tonysimmers_at_paradise_dot_net_dot_nz.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU AG World Championship Edmonton - Bike rental? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier- any chance you would still consider lending out a bike? Feel free to email me at varneraf at gmail dot com. No worries if not!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you still have that 56 cm available? I haven't managed to get my bike out of St. Croix yet from the race a few months ago.... Many thanks!
Quote Reply