Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM bike special need bags-top AG
Quote | Reply
Do you stop to take some fuel? Sandwiches? Liquid calories?
Quote Reply
Re: IM bike special need bags-top AG [IMV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will put a special drink in the bag that's it.
Quick and easy to get out without stoping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Concentrated bottle of my special fuel for the 2nd half of the bike. Chase both bottles (previous and SN) w/ water entire ride.

Quote | Reply
^^^ What those guys said.

Quote | Reply
IMV wrote:

I've often seen guys standing around waiting for a volunteer to find their bag. Even if I put something in special needs, I don't absolutely bank on it. Always have a plan B

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had one race where I was handed the wrong bag, took 2-4 minutes to get the right bag and get moving on the bike. Haven't used any special needs since then (3 races). Double, triple, or quadruple any special mix on the bike and reduce bottles. Next race I'm reducing from 3 to 2 bottles ( 1 bta water, 1 behind saddle 4x carbo pro) to make the behind the saddle area more aero. Try to figure out absolute needs and what the on course nutrition can supplement or replace.

Proudly Team BSR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMV wrote:

I never stop for it. I have put back-up items in that I don't anticipate needing unless for emergency. IMO, you are losing 10-15 seconds right there if you slow down and stop for it. May not seem like much but it is. It can also be a decisive spot if you know someone has to stop for the bag. At Louisville in 2012 Pat Evoe stopped, I wanted to get away, but it turns out on that particular day Pat grabbed a Red Bull from special needs and was gone after that. For him it was what he needed, he ended up going on to win the race but I think that is the exception to the rule. That is how I think about it, I'm sure others will disagree.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: IM bike special need bags-top AG [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd rather not stop. I'll throw in a tire, tubes, CO2's and some gels & food in case I lose mine somehow. Maybe a nice little crayon picture from my 5 y/o daughter. If I go for my SNB, something probably didn't go as planned and I'll need something to cheer me up.

I might also carry some extra aerobar pads. I've had one come off on bumps, but it was a pretty worn pad with sketchy velcro. But hey, always be preparred.

It's my first IM, but I see no need to rely on it. I'm living off the course for nutrition other than some waffles and gels. Just 2 bottles and one of those is an aero bottle as my back-up reserve. I think the farthest space aide stations are about 40-45 minutes. Most are only 25-30 minutes apart is looks like. I'll probably write the mile marker locations on a note on my top tube as a reminder.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply