Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM and asthma
Quote | Reply
I signed up for IM FL next year. They asked for medical info, so I put it down. I'm asthmatic, and on a bunch of meds for it. I know some meds aren't allowed, but all mine are doctor prescribed for my medical condition, so are they going to give me any trouble about it? I'm sure I'm not the only asthmatic triathlete out there, after all, on TV at IM WI, they showed a pro having trouble and using a rescue inhaler!
Quote Reply
Re: IM and asthma [trirunt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I'm afraid those pre-race puffs of Albuterol are considered doping.

:-) I'm only kidding. You should be fine. I've never heard of anyone having a problem with a prescribed med. My inhaler never leaves my side during races--just in case. Good luck.
Last edited by: AR: Nov 8, 05 13:21
Quote Reply
Re: IM and asthma [AR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
God, you scared me to death!!!!

I mean, if albuterol gives me an edge, I'd rather give up the albuterol AND the asthma, and then I would really have an edge! All the albuterol in the world will never give me normal lungs!

Seriously, it is something I've really worried about. You obviously know about it. Do you list your meds on your forms? I mean, it isn't something I can really hide, because, like you, my inhaler is always by my side, except on the swim, and I worry about that....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't worry about it. I have my Combivent on the run.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an albuterol in the transition area for all of my races. In an IM one comes with me for both the bike and run. And pretty much without fail at every race, I take one hit before I start the run. By that time things have tightened up a bit and I have noticed a difference in comfort after taking one puff.

----------------------------------------------------

Formally azclydesdale, back in Northeast Ohio.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Won't be a problem at the race, but be careful with the albuterol on the run - it can make you overheat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't recall seeing a medications section on any of the registrations I've filled out, then again, I've not raced an IM. I just tuck my inhaler on the side/top of my quad under my tri-shorts--even on the swim and it stays put for the run as well. Not sure what I'm going to do this weekend if it's a wetsuit swim.....hummm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought you just have to give prior notice about what you're on?????

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am asthmatic and am currently taking Singulair (which is a MIRACLE drug), Albuterol, and Flovent. I have never been asked by a R.D. not to compete due to my condition (11:25:00 IM PR)...

I keep my Albuterol in my wetsuit; shoved up my sleeve onto my forearm, for Just In Case during the swim. I keep a spare in my Bento Box on my bike in case I lose the swim one. The bike one comes with me on the run, but sometimes I wear my Fuel Belt on the run and stash one in there. You never know;you might drop it on the bike and then can't find it, or a car runs over it, or you drop it on the IMLP downhill into Keene!

No one has ever questioned the necessity of my meds or asked to see a written RX. They ask you about your meds ahead of time so they can better treat you in case of an emergency (especially if you're non-responsive and can't speak).

Hope this helps!

"In order to arrive at what you are not, you must move throught the way in which you are not."
T.S. Elliot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You shouldn't have any problems...just make sure you take your meds consistently leading up to the race and remember to take your emergency inhaler with you. It also helps to check what potential triggers are in the environment you are travelling to so you can be prepared. Last year, I raced Hawaii Ironman only to have my glands swell up like apples when I arrived on the island. I didn't know it at the time but I was reacting to the "Vog" (volcanic ash) in the air and on race day it caused my oxygen sat to drop dangerously low about 100 miles into the bike and consequently a trip to the medical tent for some oxygen became my race story. Happy IM trails,
Kim Mueller, MS, RD Sports Nutritionist www.kbnutrition.com

Kim Mueller, MS, RD
Sports Nutritionist
http://www.kbnutrition.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM and asthma [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what's combivent? I just diagnosed and started taking generic albuterol. amazing. it doesn't feel like anything when I inhale, yet last night, I ran three miles faster than I have ever run, so I guess something's happening.

didn't ask the doc, how long does this stuff last? the longest I've run with it so far was about 45 minutes, does it suddenly wear out or what?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: IM and asthma [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Albuterol should last several hours; using it more than 2 or 3 times a day can be dangerous and you can have a rebound reaction. If you use it more than that talk to your doc about once a day Singulair...works wonders for me. I have gone from using the albuterol SEVERAL times a day (especially in the cold) to twice a day. The Albuterol opens the airways, but you could also need an anti-inflammatory, like Flovent.

"In order to arrive at what you are not, you must move throught the way in which you are not."
T.S. Elliot
Quote Reply
Re: IM and asthma [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would it make you overheat? I've taken Advair which tends to increase my HR is that what you are talking about?
Quote Reply
Re: IM and asthma [SpinHo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys have really relieved me about the regulations. I guess so much doping is in the news now, and I just didn't know how they handled such things. Not like I'd be in contention for much of any competitive spots, anyway....

I'm on serevent, flovent, singulair and albuterol. Add astelin, nasocort, clarinex and shots for allergies, plus a few meds for some choice other probs (synthroid, bcp's) and some vitamins, and I'm a walking medicine chest. Mt bcp's are a question, too, but since my dr. says I need surgery without them, I'm taking them.

I've been asthmatic for more than 20 years. I used to use 1 albuterol inhaler a month, but when serevent, flovent and singulair came out, I'll bet I only use 1 every 6 months, except when I have my approx one blow up a year when I'm a mess and end up on (gluconeogenic) steroids (NOT the banned ones!) I ran a half marathon last year during a blow up, and that was a big mistake that I paid for for several weeks. I couldn't lie down to sleep and breathe, even with injected and oral steroids, and my inhalers. I was too damn stubborn. I'm lucky it wasn't worse.

I routinely keep one on the bike, in my swim bag, and in a pouch for the run while training. I have them stashed everywhere. When I race, I put my race belt on after the swim, with my number and a pouch with my inhaler. It's zipped, so it's secure. I leave it there for the run. Some people think it's weird that I'm wearing my number for the bike, but you have to put it on sometime anyway.

Again, it is a relief to hear from others who have been through this. I cringed when I filled out my entry, but I figured it was better to "come clean" and have them kick me out now if they were going to. Besides, I want them to know what to do with me if I'm on the side of the road!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ps....as an age-grouper I have never been asked for a urine sample afterwards, either! Whew!

My asthma seems to be happier now that I do the longer (ie: slower) events...the really fast high heart-rate heavy-breathing events would aggrivate it.

GOOD LUCK!

T.S. Elliot
Quote Reply
Re: IM and asthma [SpinHo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KimBrown, tell me more about the volcanic ash - I hope it doesn't set me asthma off! (If I ever get to Kona......)
Quote Reply